MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

On Friday, the 29th October at around 4pm my much loved BRG MCS was signed over to Evan. A significant occaision for me. Afterall I had to wait a good 6mths for my factory ordered MCS to arrive and had a blast with it virtually everyday for 2 years :D

Over the 2yrs I carefully researched my mods to develop a powerful yet nicely balanced car for both the drive to work and the odd track day. Evan and his fiance should have alot of FUN.

Many of you may be asking WHY :confused:

Well....... something came up. It was a 48/52 decision in favour of picking up this beast.

BMW E36 M3R
It is very difficult to find information about the M3R – it is that rare.. This is what I have worked out.

History: BMW Motorsport Australia teamed up with Frank Gardner in QLD to build only 15 limited edition M3s for GT production racing. The M3R was a direct response to Porsche’s 911RSCS and Mazda’s RX 7SP (as noted by MickyD). The 911RSCS is a beast and will easily fetch $170K today apparently if you can find one for sale… Anyway, 4 M3Rs were retained by BMW Australia for race duties and the other 11 went to CAMS licence holders that forked out $189,450 + onroads in 1994-5. Mine is #10. Should have the keys on Thursday 

FAST FACTS on the E36 M3R

ENGINE: 3L ///M Power motor with revised intake and exhaust ports. Camshafts with increased overlap. Sump with dual pickup. Rechipped ECU and altered air intake by repositioning the pickup duct to the left of the foglight opening. Lightened flywheel. AP twin plate clutch. 3.9:1 ratio LSD with 40% lock. 850i driveshafts and a Scorpion rear muffler (new).

POWER = 243KW @ 7200rpm

CHASIS: 8x17 inch BBS Alloys. Bilstein coilover suspension. Front and rear strut braces. Strengthened alloy rear control arms. Adjustable camber plates fitted to front struts. Four pot AP Racing callipers with 324mm ventilated front discs.

WEIGHT: Weight varies between 1260-1360KG depending on what is retained. For example, beyond the aluminium doors and carbon fibre seats / centre console much of the cabin’s sound deadening material has been removed as well as the front foglights. Retaining the cars spare wheel and air-conditioner has the weight climbing back towards the fully loaded 1360KG. The STOCK E36 M3 weighs 1460KG so even a plush street M3R is at least 100KG lighter as a minimum.

So, the heaviest street going M3R has a power to weight ratio of 1KW per 5.6KG! To put that into perspective here are some example power to weight ratios of popular cars

1. BMW E46 M3 1KW per 6.05KG
2. Subaru WRX Sti 1KW per 7.15KG
3. HSV Club Sport R8 297 L2 1KW per 5.56KG
4. Lotus Elise 111R 1KW per 5.71KG
5. Ford XR6T 1KW per 7.05KG
6. Mitusubishi EVO VIII 1KW per 7.53KG
7. Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 1KW per 5.83KG
8. Nissan 350Z Track 1KW per 7.1KG
9. Audi S4 1KW per 6.85KG
10. Mazda RX8 1KW per 7.55KG

I have attached a few pics the GreenDevil and my new ride (not exact vehicle)

Attachments

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Greendevil said:
Guys,

On Friday, the 29th October at around 4pm my much loved BRG MCS was signed over to Evan. A significant occaision for me. Afterall I had to wait a good 6mths for my factory ordered MCS to arrive and had a blast with it virtually everyday for 2 years :D

Over the 2yrs I carefully researched my mods to develop a powerful yet nicely balanced car for both the drive to work and the odd track day. Evan and his fiance should have alot of FUN.

Many of you may be asking WHY :confused:

Well....... something came up. It was a 48/52 decision in favour of picking up this beast.

BMW E36 M3R
It is very difficult to find information about the M3R – it is that rare.. This is what I have worked out.

History: BMW Motorsport Australia teamed up with Frank Gardner in QLD to build only 15 limited edition M3s for GT production racing. The M3R was a direct response to Porsche’s 911RSCS and Mazda’s RX 7SP (as noted by MickyD). The 911RSCS is a beast and will easily fetch $170K today apparently if you can find one for sale… Anyway, 4 M3Rs were retained by BMW Australia for race duties and the other 11 went to CAMS licence holders that forked out $189,450 + onroads in 1994-5. Mine is #10. Should have the keys on Thursday 

FAST FACTS on the E36 M3R

ENGINE: 3L ///M Power motor with revised intake and exhaust ports. Camshafts with increased overlap. Sump with dual pickup. Rechipped ECU and altered air intake by repositioning the pickup duct to the left of the foglight opening. Lightened flywheel. AP twin plate clutch. 3.9:1 ratio LSD with 40% lock. 850i driveshafts and a Scorpion rear muffler (new).

POWER = 243KW @ 7200rpm

CHASIS: 8x17 inch BBS Alloys. Bilstein coilover suspension. Front and rear strut braces. Strengthened alloy rear control arms. Adjustable camber plates fitted to front struts. Four pot AP Racing callipers with 324mm ventilated front discs.

WEIGHT: Weight varies between 1260-1360KG depending on what is retained. For example, beyond the aluminium doors and carbon fibre seats / centre console much of the cabin’s sound deadening material has been removed as well as the front foglights. Retaining the cars spare wheel and air-conditioner has the weight climbing back towards the fully loaded 1360KG. The STOCK E36 M3 weighs 1460KG so even a plush street M3R is at least 100KG lighter as a minimum.

So, the heaviest street going M3R has a power to weight ratio of 1KW per 5.6KG! To put that into perspective here are some example power to weight ratios of popular cars

1. BMW E46 M3 1KW per 6.05KG
2. Subaru WRX Sti 1KW per 7.15KG
3. HSV Club Sport R8 297 L2 1KW per 5.56KG
4. Lotus Elise 111R 1KW per 5.71KG
5. Ford XR6T 1KW per 7.05KG
6. Mitusubishi EVO VIII 1KW per 7.53KG
7. Porsche 911 3.6 Carrera 1KW per 5.83KG
8. Nissan 350Z Track 1KW per 7.1KG
9. Audi S4 1KW per 6.85KG
10. Mazda RX8 1KW per 7.55KG

I have attached a few pics the GreenDevil and my new ride (not exact vehicle)

Hi Carl,

It's sad to see your mini go :( , but at least it is going to a good home :D Good luck DairyBoy, you are getting a well loved and immaculately maintained car ;)

I can't wait to see the M3R in action ;)

BTW, those photos look more like one of the USA M3lights, which is a far inferior car to the Aussie M3R's.

Also, there is another M3R which competes occasionally in BMW supersprints, run by Brad Robinson (no, not CityClinic, but another ;) ). I think they have also done Targa Tassie in that car.

I look forward to catching up soon, and checking out the new ride :D

Cheers

Robbo

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi Carl,

It's sad to see your mini go :( , but at least it is going to a good home :D Good luck DairyBoy, you are getting a well loved and immaculately maintained car ;)

I can't wait to see the M3R in action ;)

BTW, those photos look more like one of the USA M3lights, which is a far inferior car to the Aussie M3R's.

Also, there is another M3R which competes occasionally in BMW supersprints, run by Brad Robinson (no, not CityClinic, but another ;) ). I think they have also done Targa Tassie in that car.

I look forward to catching up soon, and checking out the new ride :D

Cheers

Robbo
Also my mate Ross Brindley in Melb has an M3R - competes in BMW things and the Dutton.

·
Brass Cannons
3,488 Posts
Sorry you are leaving the MINI fraternity, I hope you only sold you Cooper and not the Hairy Cooper.
Good luck with you BMW and I hope to see you around the Track in 2005 which will be my inaugural season.
Good luck Carl :)

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
GOGADGET said:
Oh No Carl has traded "Cooper" the dog as well.
Hi,

I hope he hasn't traded cooper :eek:

Hopefully he wont get a name change either, "M3R" doesn't roll of the tongue as easily as "cooper".

Also, I hope Carl maintains contact with the Aussie Mini2ers :cool: I'm sure your new ride would be welcome at any mini run ;)

Cheers

Robbo

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I'm pretty sure Hairy Cooper is still around, heard him barked on Saturday when I go and pickup the S-lites.

I can assure everyone, Greendevil (the MCS) will continue to be developed and improve over time. The mod bug have bite me already and a few things has been planned for the MCS :)

It's been a wonderful weekend, the MCS is a blast to drive and have snapped quite a few necks in the woods around my area. I've proven one thing - at least the brakes is on par with a STi, had an incident with a STi that idiot breaks all the sudden and the brakes on Greendevil didn't even lockup. One complain though, this thing drinks more fuel than my MC and that's the only whinge from me.

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
dairyboy said:
I'm pretty sure Hairy Cooper is still around, heard him barked on Saturday when I go and pickup the S-lites.

I can assure everyone, Greendevil (the MCS) will continue to be developed and improve over time. The mod bug have bite me already and a few things has been planned for the MCS :)

It's been a wonderful weekend, the MCS is a blast to drive and have snapped quite a few necks in the woods around my area. I've proven one thing - at least the brakes is on par with a STi, had an incident with a STi that idiot breaks all the sudden and the brakes on Greendevil didn't even lockup. One complain though, this thing drinks more fuel than my MC and that's the only whinge from me.
Ahhhh Evan.. its all good.. just think how much more of a blast it is over the MC. Has all the bits that the MC is missing. a bit more fuel... its all good.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
It is certainly a blast to drive this over the MC and it chews 20% more fuel than the MC. Hell, that's about $500 more to run it a year or $10 more a week. Now that gives me a pretty good incentive to quit smoking once and for all :) (1 pack of ciggie is about $10..)

Now all the pirates, care to gimme some driving lessons when you guys head to the track? Pretty please? :) I know I am only getting 1/2 the potential of Greendevil at the moment. At least I am honest about the lack of skills :p

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dairyboy said:
it chews 20% more fuel than the MC
M8, thatz a pretty good deal for 60% more power ;)

Cooper the Hairy Beast will ALWAYS be Cooper and I certainly appreciate the warmth of the MINI community which has many genuinely good people within it.

THANKYOU Guys and look forward to seeing you on the many forecasted drive days coming up over the next 12mths!

Carl

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Keep posting on the NSW motorsports thread, we are always interested to hear how you are going... once a mini owner - always a mini lover:D

Todd

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Wakefield has a weekend spot open for those interested.
Sat 06 Nov, 2004 Open Practice/No Speed Limit Day - Cars Only,

I beleive Calender wise this will be the last weekend oportunity at wakefield prior to XMAS.

Might be a good one to cut your teeth on Dairyboy
I will go if there are others...

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
More than likely I'll be going on Saturday but will need to shop for a helmet first (hiring one isn't an option - can't imagine how dirty/stink they will be :p)

Carl, bring the M3R along, your first official outing with your new ride.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.