MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No V-Power or Tesco99 in the pumps anywhere. Can i use BP 97 and top up with octane booster?

When can we expect it back in the pumps?

Cheers,
K.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
I'd say yes. I know Roland uses Aldon automotive octane booster for the track. I can recomend the stuff, just remember its like rocket fuel and seems to stain/etch and kill everything within 10 miles of the car LOL

·
The Power Cube
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've used it before, i've got some already, and have spilt loads over my hands the 1st time i did it - highly toxic too.

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
97 would also be OK provide that you repsect the engine and do not thrash the thing - keep away from WOT.
I had to use ordinary 95 last year in Italy because there was no premium - I was not happy but just used a gentle right foot, no sign of pre-det.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can drive it with normal 95 fuel with no problem, bloody hell what do you think you drive? Just dont go thrashing it.

·
MINI Obsessed...
4,989 Posts
You can drive it with normal 95 fuel with no problem, bloody hell what do you think you drive? Just dont go thrashing it.
Have to agree..... dont rag the hell out of it and you will be fine. Not like you are running crazy boost either.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Actually even my lightly tuned S runs like a bag of nails on 95....so a 280 supercharged or a GTT turbo car will be worse I would have thought ?!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Are fuel supplies that bad up north? Haven't seen a single problem down here, all our local garages have kept good supplies :confused: Including Shell V-Power, Tesco 99 etc.

I wouldn't be keen running my standard S on the normal stuff, let alone yours Karl :eek:

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
In the stock S mine was fine on 95, but there was a difference in performcance. Since tuning it... it really hates 95 ... it feel lean, hunts around on tickover, down on power, sounds rougher under load ... The difference is shocking really. its not bad on 97 but Vpower or the other the 98-100 octane fuels seems to smooth things out.

I imagine that a seriously tuned car would almost be dying on 95 ... but then maybe its just mine

·
BlueMax
179 Posts
You guys are so lucky! In South Afirca the highest grade we get is 95!! No Choices. When I had my JCW conversion done only 93 was available (now THAT was a bag of nails), I got pinking and had to watch it. On 95 there is no pinking but I suspect it is the absolute minimum to run a Works on. So put in some 95 and drive like a granny until you get the special juice again!

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Hi Guys, yes 97 will be fine except for severe lead foot usage. Even 95 can be used all day long and will not harm anything unless using full throttle.
I must admit Tescos still have lots of lovely 99 here down south.:cool:

·
XR3i / JCW MCS
543 Posts
should have tried getting fuel at Combe last weekend, track day, tanker strike and the muppets panic buying left the whole area dry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts