MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sob :( :( Our new clubbie has been mortally wounded.

Eleven days, that's all it took. Not only that, she did it on the *drivers* side!!! Grrrrrrrr :angry:

Can somebody please explain to me how anyone can "accidentally" kerb a wheel that badly on the drivers side? :puzzled:

Women! Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em :rolleyes:

The atmosphere is distinctly frosty in our household at present.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As gutting as it may be, I think a new alloy or a refurb is still a cheaper option than divorce :p
Hmmm...., over the course of 20 years? I think the jurys still out on that one ;)

Found a replacement Pace alloy at £180 (shes paying for it!). Does this sound reasonable? A refurb would probably cost £80 ish anyway. Perhaps I should order a new wheel and also get the dinged one refurbed ready for the next time. We all know there *will* be a next time :hmph:

Genuine MINI Mini Genuine R56 Alloy Wheels - 07on

Anybody used these people? Are they reliable?

·
A Total Mini Convert
923 Posts
I got quoted about £35 for a wheel repair a few years back.
Some places like chips-away can do it too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
To be honest - if this is going to happen on a fairly regular basis (if you get my drift......) I'd just touch it in with a paintstick and plan to get the alloys refurbished once every few years. a) you'll save yourself a lot of stress and money and b) if your other half knows you're more relaxed about it - it's less likely to happen. My ex ( yep divorced, but for other reasons!) used to really tense up when driving my car because I used to make her nervous about kerbing etc. Think it actually caused more stuff to happen on reflection.

You'd actually be suprised how good a repair you can do yourself if you take your time - bit of fine sandpaper - a cup of coffee - and bright silver touch in is normally all it takes on a Saturday morning.

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
I would agree with what TimCS said.............don't rush out and buy a new wheel or a refurb.

it will happen again, it's easily done especially by a female, ( I don't mean this in a detrimental way, but normally a female will not appreciate how easily these wheels can get damaged )and you will only give yourself added stress if you replace or refurb at this early stage.

as someone else said it's only a wheel, and although annoying and frustrating, your wife will be more careful the next time !!

hey, I've done it and I'm a brilliant driver................................

·
Registered
4 Posts
morini3andahalf - Time to be a Stand up Guy and accept full responsibility for the Curbing. It was probably the fault of the Curb designer or the person who did not paint the curb a bright color. Place no additional stress on a loved one who may or may not be challenged in this one small area of motoring. Mercy cost nothing to give. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
morini3andahalf - Time to be a Stand up Guy and accept full responsibility for the Curbing. It was probably the fault of the Curb designer or the person who did not paint the curb a bright color. Place no additional stress on a loved one who may or may not be challenged in this one small area of motoring. Mercy cost nothing to give. :)
Mercy !!?? I must say this forum is full of gentle, understanding souls!

As others have said, its only a wheel. I've now downgraded from "blood boiling" to "mildly ****** off". It's her car anyway, so why should I be bothered ;) It has to be said though, this particular loved one has a particularly poor track record in this department. Did exactly the same thing to my one month old Saab.

Now, where do I hide the keys where she can't find them?

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Now, where do I hide the keys where she can't find them?
Putting them somewhere high keeps my other half from finding them. ;)

:p Hehehe... although, if anyone here tells her about this post, I'm a dead man. :eek: :eek:

·
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE
6,836 Posts
i'm taking a gamble on this issue, by depriving my other half of a driving licence/lessons she should never be in a position to kerb them. HOWEVER, should she decided to take the car for a spin for some reason, then the whole things fecked !

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Don't divorce her for that - its only a wheel!

·
Mrs Beastie
364 Posts
Sob :( :( Our new clubbie has been mortally wounded.

Eleven days, that's all it took. Not only that, she did it on the *drivers* side!!! Grrrrrrrr :angry:

Can somebody please explain to me how anyone can "accidentally" kerb a wheel that badly on the drivers side? :puzzled:

Women! Can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em :rolleyes:

The atmosphere is distinctly frosty in our household at present.
I agree with you on this. A post like this is grounds for divorce. Lets hope your poor long suffering wife doesnt see it: ::D

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Hmmm...., over the course of 20 years? I think the jurys still out on that one ;)

Found a replacement Pace alloy at £180 (shes paying for it!). Does this sound reasonable? A refurb would probably cost £80 ish anyway. Perhaps I should order a new wheel and also get the dinged one refurbed ready for the next time. We all know there *will* be a next time :hmph:

Genuine MINI Mini Genuine R56 Alloy Wheels - 07on

Anybody used these people? Are they reliable?
£50 for a refurb per wheel is the average price;)

That seems expensive, I'd be calling Chris at Woodmans before buying anything elsewhere, check the sponsors directory;)

·
Havin' fun...
4,931 Posts
The woman in this particular household would sooner kerb her wheels than present her passenger with the inconvenience of stepping into the gutter after providing a taxi service which took her 10 miles out of her way.

Fortunately it was her brand new Fabia that she graunched.

As an aid to lessen the risk, ensure that she adjusts the seat as high as possible. It helps to look over the steering wheel rather than through it.

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
It's just a bloody wheel dammit , I suppose if she gets T boned by white van man jumping a red light you'll call for the death penalty :mad:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts