MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have been looking at the gruppe m for a cooper s, with its ram air design, now i was wondering can you still use a strut brace with this intake?

thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
hi i have been looking at the gruppe m for a cooper s, with its ram air design, now i was wondering can you still use a strut brace with this intake?

thanks
Hi,

The Gruppe M induction kit is a pretty comprehensive piece of kit & has quite a large air box. When we were running it on our R53 Cooper S we did use a strut brace with it, but it was an extremely tight fit.

As you can see from the picture we were running an OMP brace, as I was not keen on even the slightest possibility of cracking the carbon fibre box cover, we wrapped the part of the brace that went over the brace in some foam and then sealed it with some red electrical tape. :rolleyes:

The other option was not to run a strut brace at all.... :(

I'm not sure what other strut braces would be like with the Gruppe M as we have never tried.

Andrey

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply have you guys not run the other style gruppe m, it has a carbon feed from the bonnet intake and when you shut the bonnet its sits down into the airbox?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi,

The style you are referring to is used on the R56 Cooper S & no we have not yet run that one. The comments about the strut braces would not really be applicable for the R56 Gruppe M.

What model do you have?

Andrey

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ah ok that clears that up for me, i'm looking at a r53, have you seen much power increase with the gruppe m?

thanks

·
Registered
864 Posts
ah ok that clears that up for me, i'm looking at a r53, have you seen much power increase with the gruppe m?

thanks
Funny you should ask.... Right when we started we dynoed our R53 before and after the Gruppe M intake and it made 12bhp!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

But it was not done on the same day, I'm not sure of the consistency of the rolling road (although the guy used to map rally cars). I'm not sure what the results would be if we were to do it today, so i would not rely on that 12bhp quote.... But it is still one hell of a kit!!!

If you want something that will give you a good bang for your buck then try the Alta Version 2 induction kit for the Cooper S, at £205 it is one of the most comprehensive kits out there and makes the supercharger sing really nicely!!!

Andrey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts