MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Firstly, I'm not the newbie I appear to be - figured it was finally worth having a username that wasn't my actual name, so I've started again. Oh well, won't take that long to get another 500 posts will it?!

Anyway, I've read a few reviews of Roland's work on this part of the website, and they were what ultimately made me decide to go and see him rather than anybody else. And partly location too - you can turn a trip down to Blandford into quite a nice weekend down around the South coast.

I won't go into quite the level of detail that previous reviews have gone into, but I felt it was worth saying a few things. So here we go...

Despite my £30 punt on Holland winning Euro 2008 and consequential interest in their progress, I forgoed (is that a word?) watching their game against France to drive down to Cashmoor, just North of Blandford on Friday night. Got into the Inn on the Chase just in time to see Sneijder's last goal bang in off the underside of the bar. 4-1. Sweet.

Anyway, drop the car in at Roland's at 8.30 Saturday morning, have a quick look at the bits in his glass cupboard that don't really mean anything to me and get dropped back off in town. Thought Blandford might be a rancid little place from some of the comments I've read on here, but actually it's quite nice. Not a lot to do, but quite quaint and pleasant nonetheless. So tootle off to Poole on the bus for a morning in the sun and then get back for lunchtime. Give Roland a call and 5 mins later he rocks up in the blue Mini that I really should have washed beforehand.

I hop into the car along with the gf and ask Roland what kind of state he'd found my car to be in. I've had it since new (almost 4 years) so I was interested to know whether I'd been responsible for letting it go, so to speak. Roland, to my surprise, said it was possibly the fastest 220 conversion he'd ever seen, and then put his foot down to prove it. Up the hill, with 3 up and a boot full of luggage it certainly shifted in a way that gave the gf sweaty palms. Of course, I don't know whether Roland says this to all the boys, so to speak - but I reckon the other reviews might have mentioned it if it was his standard line :)

Roland said he'd timed 2 30-70 runs and both had come out at 5.5 secs. Looking at the 30-70 thread in this forum, that would certainly appear to be pretty quick! I didn't ask whether Roland had gone through the gears for those times, or left it in third, but either way it's pretty rapid.

So we get back to his ranch, I leave with slightly lighter pockets and get my first go in it. First impressions are that the car is if anything easier to drive slowly. This is pretty remarkable for a tuned car - especially one that's got almost 140bhp/litre.
Get out onto the open road and without even trying to fully rag it, it's clear there's plenty more torque than there was before. On the kind of windy A-roads where you do 55-65 mph, and are driving at 6 tenths I'd often change down to 5th for those 55mph corners just so you've got enough urge to take you round and out the other side. No need now - feels like there's more umph in 6th at that speed than there used to be at 5th before the conversion.

Finally get the chance to open her up properly when pulling out to overtake a line of cars, leave it in 3rd at 40mph and floor it. The supercharger starts whining - with an insistence that it never had before - there's a real shove in the back and the car surges forwards. Get to the limiter and into 4th. There's no let up and the car just keeps accelerating relentlessly. Can't get over the feeling that the car now sounds like it's in a computer game. The combination of the noise from the supercharger and the way the sound doesn't let up as the lines on the road whizz past. Brilliant. There's more torque, sure, but it's the extra shove when you get into the power band that's really impressive.

Getting out of the car and looking at it is a bit confusing. It's the same car, but it's a different car. My gf pointed out it would be like her getting a boob job. Same person, different assets. And you can kind of forget when you're behind the wheel until you put your foot down again and wwhooooosh!

Anyway, didn't really get a chance to go head to head with anyone over the weekend (lets face it, we don't get the chance very often anyway- when it's safe), but coming up to the M4 an absolute bell-end in a Megane who had been driving about 2 feet off my rear bumper found himself behind me as we came onto the slip-road from the roundabout. He was revving it and wanted me to pull over to let him past. Ah, non! This is where you plant your right foot and leave the chav absolutely nowhere but a small speck in the mirror.

So - in summary - very, very pleased with the conversion. MPG doesn't appear to have been affected too adversely either. Got 195 miles out of the car post conversion before the needle hit the half way mark on the petrol gage, which in my experience is close to 30mpg or so. Would highly recommend GT Tuning and the work they do. Only pity is that I live in London, so don't get the chance to enjoy the performance as often as I'd like...

I got the package as a 30th birthday present to myself (and why not?!) so I know at least I've got one brilliant present for when I turn 30 tomorrow :)

Next stop - the Nurburgring in July. Can't wait!

·
Doktor Ayam
19 Posts
excellent right up jerzybondov! glad your enjoying the car. i had a gtt220 installed 3months ago. now 3months down the line im on gtt260+ with the pro-mapping, stage 5 head and half of gtt's website in the car!! hahahaha. but i have to say they really do a great job.

btw...that fastest 220 conversion comment does sound familiar. hehehe...

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent right up jerzybondov! glad your enjoying the car. i had a gtt220 installed 3months ago. now 3months down the line im on gtt260+ with the pro-mapping, stage 5 head and half of gtt's website in the car!! hahahaha. but i have to say they really do a great job. .
Blimey - that's good going in 3 months! How much can you feel the extra power with 260 over the 220? As significant as going to the 220 from stock?

btw...that fastest 220 conversion comment does sound familiar. hehehe...
Haha. Thought it might. Anyone else got the fastest 220 in the west? :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
thanks for the support guys. ....enjoy:smile:
...That realy is a very quick GTT220 on a 30-70mph in 3rd gear only test. Average both ways was 5.5 secs .:eek: -late gearing, but runflat rims ( not tyres), panoramic roof, and 3/4 tank of fuel aswell .
Best Regrds Roland GTT:smile:

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
Good review, you sound like quite a character :D

You'll have to bring it down to Surrey next time theres a session there, remember that stock cars vary in power according to the state of their engine (and what day it was made ;) ) anything from 170-190 in stock form. So it may be you have a very strong engine.

So in terms of power mods you have:
  • ecu remap (Superchips? Bluefin?)
  • optimised bypass valve (maybe good for a few extra PSI of boost at full throttle)
  • high temp iridium sparkplugs + GTT supercharger pulley (-15%? or -17%?)
  • "Cold Ram" air intake
Remember I made 235 BHP with a 15% Pulley, 380cc Injectors, Works Motorsport air intake, Works Cat back exhaust and a Works GP Inter-cooler (slightly larger by 2-4 tubes iirc). Approx £1500 but I paid out that little bit more for the noise and a more engine safety (Injectors and bigger inter-cooler) as I drive the car very hard (example, 55mph corners will be done in 2nd or 3rd hehe ;) ).

Few things to note:

• Check your oil and coolant more frequently.
  • Change your supercharger belt at every 10,000 to be safe (despite the reduced wear rate of the new idler pulleys).
  • Think about adding a interim oil change between major services.
  • Keep an eye on your temperatures in the hot weather and try not to leave it idling.
  • With the bypass valve adjusted to close quicker there may be more boosted air (which will heat up) in there so try to avoid frequent on-off bursts of throttle (even if your trying to push a chaved up megane out of the way lol ;) )
  • If you park up after a spirited drive somewhere look for a nice patch of shade to park the car in ;)
People may think I'm OTT but it's to save me spending too much fixing it ;)

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Worth noting that preGTT220 this cars performance was fairly typical. The 'extra' gain was in the GTT Bypass Valve adjustment that we include. If there is alot of leakage then the gains are greater.
GTT220 with its idler pulley and the tensioner pulley upgrade make it probably the most proven & reliable aftermarket complete performance conversion around. :smile:

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
So was it pretty bad?

I had a bad Bypass valve Jerzy (see pic lol) the part was revised 4 times in 2006 (Jan, Feb, August and then later) it was only about £36 . I had a play with it and theres really not much to it, very simple piece of kit its a bloody wonder how BMW screwed it up ;)

Roughly what PSI increase did/does it give Roland? I'm only interested because I haven't had mine tested after it was replaced & optimised. Before mine broke (1st rev BPV) I was seeing 16PSI peak (15% & GP Intercooler).

Attachments

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good review, you sound like quite a character :D

You'll have to bring it down to Surrey next time theres a session there, remember that stock cars vary in power according to the state of their engine (and what day it was made ;) ) anything from 170-190 in stock form. So it may be you have a very strong engine.

So in terms of power mods you have:
  • ecu remap (Superchips? Bluefin?)
  • optimised bypass valve (maybe good for a few extra PSI of boost at full throttle)
  • high temp iridium sparkplugs + GTT supercharger pulley (-15%? or -17%?)
  • "Cold Ram" air intake
In terms of power mods I have:
No clever remap, just BMW's facelift one.
Optimised bypass valve
high temp iridium sparkplugs and 17% GTT pulley
shorter drive belt
GTT twin idler pulley
GTT cold ram intake

Would love to bring it down to Surrey. What do you guys do down there, and how would I find out about it?! Might have to put that 5.5secs 30-70 time to the test :)

Remember I made 235 BHP with a 15% Pulley, 380cc Injectors, Works Motorsport air intake, Works Cat back exhaust and a Works GP Inter-cooler (slightly larger by 2-4 tubes iirc). Approx £1500 but I paid out that little bit more for the noise and a more engine safety (Injectors and bigger inter-cooler) as I drive the car very hard (example, 55mph corners will be done in 2nd or 3rd hehe ;) ).

Few things to note:

• Check your oil and coolant more frequently.
  • Change your supercharger belt at every 10,000 to be safe (despite the reduced wear rate of the new idler pulleys).
  • Think about adding a interim oil change between major services.
  • Keep an eye on your temperatures in the hot weather and try not to leave it idling.
  • With the bypass valve adjusted to close quicker there may be more boosted air (which will heat up) in there so try to avoid frequent on-off bursts of throttle (even if your trying to push a chaved up megane out of the way lol ;) )
  • If you park up after a spirited drive somewhere look for a nice patch of shade to park the car in ;)
People may think I'm OTT but it's to save me spending too much fixing it ;)
Yes, I'm with you there. There are a few things that you can do to minimise the risk of giving yourself an expensive repair job. And I'm not averse to doing the odd 55mph corner in 2nd or 3rd either, it just depends on who's in the car with me :)

That bypass valve stuff is strange isn't it? You do wonder how they (BMW) can get so many complex things right, and then the simple stuff wrong. It certainly is possible that mine was a bit pony before the conversion - tbh given how i was driving on the way home, I certainly wouldn't have expected to get 195 miles out of half a tank normally (i.e. car possibly spunking unnecessary fuel previously with toss valve)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
I missed the last Surrey meet but it basically involved each of our cars getting a power run done on the cheap, despite its many inaccuracies if a stock car makes 170hp and a tuned one makes not much more you know theres something wrong, i felt my car was a tad slow, turned out it put down 200bhp on the day... funny how it felt faster on the way home ;)

After that there were a few of us buzzing around the area in a mini convoy, BigShow brought his timing gear too for those interested.

Hmm... with the 17% I'd consider investing in a GRS Intercooler for the summer if you have some spare birthday money. Very easy to fit even if your one who shudders at the thought of a haynes manual lol ;)

·
Mini Nut
22 Posts
Great review and very light hearted - good to see it coming back to the forums again. I am booked in soon to see Mr Roland so hopefully I will get a similar experience and enjoy the conversion just as much. Did you opt for the exhaust re-route or did you keep it stock?

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CJB - enjoy the GTT experience, the car is certainly happier for it :D What are you going for?

I didn't actually go for the exhaust re-route. Probably the next thing on the list (along with the intercooler) but I've just cleaned myself out so might be a while before I can afford the next mod!

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends on whether you're pre or post facelift. Pre = 995 +VAT, Post = 895 + VAT. Difference is in the ECU map required if you've got the older car.

·
Mini Nut
22 Posts
JerzyBondov - I am going for the 220 + re-route. I have been looking for about 10 months and considering every conceivable option and combination.....this place is addictive......as is window shopping for options!! I am/was at the point of boring myself with questions and concerns and it got to the stage where I either opted to actually get something done, or sell the car and get something else. I could no longer live with the shame of thinking about something (23.5 hours a day) and not doing it....seriously, its not what women want that is the great question of our time, but what is the best tuning option for the R53 MCS.....also the other half was beginning to laugh her ass of at me. (has anyone else suffered from insomnia as a result of reduced pulleys?)

May end up going with the upgraded brakes if mine turn out to be needing some attention.........i can see this turning out slightly more expensive than i intended :)

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CJB - I know the feeling... Had been thinking about tuning the mini for about 3 years before finally doing it! Not quite sure I got to 23.5 hours a day though :)
As for the upgraded brakes, Roland does some good ones. Probably cheaper to wait until your OEM disks need replacing though - as it works out over £200 a pair with fitting (for OEM as well as the Spiroslots).

Hartge210 - thanks for the birthday wishes. I'm off to get leathered now :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cheers for the write-up :) Always good to hear positive stuff on the tuners that help sponsor this site.

I've got a few other mods planned first (brakes, aerokit, wheels etc.) but if all goes well I'll be joining the GTT 220 club around this time next year.

Excited is an understatement ;)

·
Turbo Schmurbo...
822 Posts
The bypass valve gaining MPG by optimising it for performance is a myth.

When mine broke it was fully open (leaking) all the time and my MPG was sky high (i saw 35-40mpg average) but the car was so slow like a 1.6 with no charger, when the throttle is open and the valve is open the bypass valve cannot create the vacuum needed to create boosted air as the valve is constantly recirculating air when the car is supposed to be on boost. This means the car never uses full boost (if hardly any) thus MPG will get better.

When I zip tied the valve closed (meaning there was more boosted air) the MPG was really low (in the 20's) it had no source of air as when the throttle is closed and the valve is still closed! This created a large vacuum in the pipe between charger and throttle, the charger was working to create the vacuum and provide boost which it previously would not have as the valve would have been open recirculating the air.

Some early bypass valves look like the first picture...you can see the light seeping through around the butterfly, this means when the throttle is open and the valve closes air can still get in and boost is reduced.

When you optimise an early bypass valve you adjust the point at where the butterfly is full closed using the screw on the second picture.... what this does it changes the point at which the valve closes and how much it closes. Meaning it will be at the previous "full boost" earlier than before and you will now get "real full boost", therefore your car will be making more boost earlier its similar to making say 90% throttle the new 100% throttle... your "butt" dyno will see it as 100% throttle is now 110% throttle ;)

Because your car is boosting earlier, if you drive it hard you will use more fuel and push your charger a little harder than before... how you can technically make extra MPG doesn't make any sense from an engineering point of view. You can't have both, if you optimise it for performance MPG goes down, if you let it leak MPG goes back up.

The only way I can see it is because you have more power you are less inclined to use full throttle and push it further up the revs than normal and maybe using less fuel.

On early cars the later BMW Ecu mapping Roland adds changes the fuel and ignition timing making it run slightly less rich than earlier cases this will help MPG... I know because BMW did this to my 2003 car ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Thanks again guys:smile:
Batou....can you keep on topic please :smile:, this is a GTT220 reveiw thread. BTW You are incorrect in much of what you say in your above post. We are not prepared to divulge all our secrets obviously , but I have said as much as I will on the other 'GTT Tuning ' thread ,which you are rapidly turning into 'a bypass valve mod dispute thread' aswell ..Thanks Roland GTT:smile:
ps BGB ... Creating 'newbies' who supposadly have GTT conversions is something we have NEVER done and never will, we dont need to. Underhand tactics hopefully have now been permanantly removed from Mini 2. ....

1 - 20 of 45 Posts