MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, we are pleased to announce another top handling product is on its way. General opinion is that bracing in this area improves rear end behaviour:eek:
The GTT design will be unique in that it will be a one piece fully tig welded construction....no M8 bolt togetether parts or adjuster nuts to lose structural ridgidity.
The bar with also be larger in diameter at 40mm diameter. -Hand mirror polished stainless steel. For a more discrete apearance, we can powdercoat black etc if required. The brace sits just behind the rearseat backs under the parcel shelf. This promises to be the most effective brace of this type available.
Price?...... better doesnt always mean more expensive:smile:, so stay tuned guys, and please ask questions on any aspect of this product.
We expect to have a batch of 20-30 completed by the end of January.:smile:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Roland,

Will this be available for the R53 models?

Will it produce similar benefits as your wonderful front strut brace? And if so, what differences will we notice?

How easy will it be to attach?

Thanks,

Alan

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Hi Roland,

Great news, if this looks good, it just might blow my plans for a Cusco Rear Brace right out of the water! :p

Just one or two little questions from me:

Hi Guys, we are pleased to announce another top handling product is on its way. General opinion is that bracing in this area improves rear end behaviour:eek:
Is it possible to describe how rear end behaviour is improved? :confused:

(i.e. less prone to step out on lift-off, less wiggly rising over crests, etc...?)
Will this be available for the R53 models?
And, presumably, if it fits the R53 it should also fit the R50. So I'd be keen to know the answer to this one too! :D
All the best,
Andrew.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Alan, sorry yes I forgot to mention this is for First Generation (eg R50 R53 etc) hardtop Minis.
Fitting involves unclipping the 2 grommets that surround the 'eye' on each side where the seat backs clip into......undo 2 bolts each side, and bolt the brace in using original bolts. The brace will have new 'eyes' as an integral welded part of the Boot Brace.-Fitting time 10minutes.
I also forgot to mention everything is TIG welded.:cool:...no horrible MIG:aargh:

Andrew.....we have seen the Cusco, I'm very confident the GTT one will be better or for me there's no point in doing it. (Hence larger diameter, one piece construction, fully TIG welded, thicker plate for the brackets etc) .
Cusco =circa £180 inc vat .....GTT WILL be minimum £40 cheaper !!
Less rear end wiggle and a more settled/progressive rear slip would be my guess as to the improved areas.
Best Regards Roland GTT:smile:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Been looking at one of these for a while ... add me to the initial batch list please Roland ;)

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I will start a Group Buy in the 'Group Buy Forum' in the next couple of weeks, just need to finalise design & pricing before we can. There will probably be 20 available on GB.:smile:

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All you will see in the boot is a gleaming round tube that'appears' to emerge from a hole each side in the plastic trim. In fact there are no holes or cutting. I have a feeling this is going to be very popular ,wspecially at just £119+vat Group Buy price! :eek:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Any chance of doing a Patina finish to match the front strut, or is that too difficult to carry out on a tube design?

Also are you going to add the stainless steel GTT badge?

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Group Buy thread now up & running...check it out when you have time.:eek::D
Red Hot,,,,, it is round section ,so will have a GT Tuning sticker rather than a metal badge. You can peel off if not wanted. Patina would be possible though tbh mirror polished (chrome) is more effective on Stainless Steel.:smile:
Newbs.....not sure ,as long as the 2 M8 captive nuts are there then it will fit. The eyes/hoops can be left out at production stage if required . I'll have a look next time a GP comes in .

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can feel stiffness on the road very easily, even slow speed in a straight line if the road is bumpy. Our benchmark test is going past the Blandford police station before/after fitting GTT Strut Braces.....its the right sort of undulation to compare to.
Anything which braces the shell/subframes will always help handling...as long as it realy is bracing it.. eg Roll cage always helps handling as long as it is very tightly bolted in, or better still welded in.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
Hi Roland,

This might make me sound like a bit of a numpty, but I'm getting a little bit confused. :eek:

With regard to the GTT Boot Brace, here you're describing how it behaves...

You can feel stiffness on the road very easily, even slow speed in a straight line if the road is bumpy. Our benchmark test is going past the Blandford police station before/after fitting GTT Strut Braces.....its the right sort of undulation to compare to.
But in the group buy thread, you're saying you need to make a mock up so that you can provide images of the brace for buyers:

Thanks.
We will and mock one up for some in situ photos and post up tommorow.:)
......yep looks good. Pics are a bit dark.....I'll do some in daylight tommorow.:smile:
So, from the sounds of things you've produced a GTT Boot Brace and have now tested it with excellent results. In which case, why was a mock up necessary for producing pictures? :confused:

All the best,
Andrew.

PS
Still itching to get a deposit down - pending approval of the other half. :p

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Andrew, , Alski asked "can you feel stiffness on the road?"
I answered..." yes you can", And explained with GTT Strutbraces (our front one and lower braces) it can be felt on the road.
The Boot Brace (rear Strutbrace) is not made yet.......a mock up will be photograped and posted tommorow so people can see what it looks like in situ.
The first production brace will be fitted/tested mid January . ...on our 390 bhp turbo MCS:eek:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Any plans for the cabrio? A difference in the cabrio is that the seat backs latch on the roll bar. If done similarly to the coupe version, it would be merely a horizontal bar spanning the roll bar.

·
MINI 2 Sponsor GT Tuning
2,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi RKW, yes we will be looking at doing one for cbrio aswell................maybe March/April.:smile:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts