MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been looking at a 220hp GTT modified Cooper s for sale on line however, im a little dubious whether its wise to buy a car with a modified chipped engine, would i be buying trouble?

Also, im buying a 2004 version cooper s, i was wondering if the better option to buy would be the facelift or prefacelift version?

Thanks for advice in advance,

Sheena.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Roland @ GT Tuning is a site sponsor on here - if you look at the main forum page he has his own little sub forum.

His conversions are very highly regarded, and providing the vehicle has been well maintained (e.g. regular oil changes etc) there shouldn't be a problem.

You can always call Roland and ask for some history on the car and conversion, and perhaps book it in with him for a 'health check' after purchase for peace of mind.

Jon :)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Also remember to get an insurance quote on a modified car before buying it, so you aren't surprised later on;)

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
Like minicabrio said, I wouldn't worry about buying a secondhand tuned car provided that you check out all the things you would do on any other secondhand car.

I would even argue that a tuned car is more likely to have been looked after than any other random Cooper S out there. Roland doesn't really advertise outside of Mini2 so anyone who gets their car tuned by him will have done their research on these forums and will care about the work they have done to their car.

Insurance needn't be too bad either. Try Greenlight or Adrian Flux for competitive quotes - lots of people have said their premiums haven't been affected at all by the conversion.

As for the pre/post facelift, the difference in the driving (assuming that Roland has done the remap) is in the gearbox. The facelift cars have shorter gearing and are quicker, but at the slight expense of revs on the motorway and fuel consumption (<1mpg). Facelift cars also have cooler Xenon headlights :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
315 Posts
re:

Hi,

I have been looking at a 220hp GTT modified Cooper s for sale on line however, im a little dubious whether its wise to buy a car with a modified chipped engine, would i be buying trouble?

Also, im buying a 2004 version cooper s, i was wondering if the better option to buy would be the facelift or prefacelift version?

Sheena.
the facelift happened in 2004, i think after june but i'm sure someone here will know exactly when, i say go for post facelift if you can get it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Hi,

Sheena.
Well my GTT220 has just hit 40,000 , and I still love it :cool:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should i post a picture/reg no of the car then maybe someone off here would know of it and be able to make a recommendation? Or is that against the boards rules?

Its with a dealer at the moment, not a private seller.

·
MINI2 Rebirth
149 Posts
I don't think there's a problem if you just put a link to the dealer's website on the thread - I've definitely seen that done before...

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Wouldn't worry about it being tracked, they take a lot of punishment;)

I'd be more concerned that the people selling it either don't know what they are selling or are trying to deceive people by saying the GTT kit is factory fitted:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe i should just walk away from this one, im not sure i know enough to make an informed and accurate decision on this one... I really love the car though :(

Im not doubting the workmanship on the GTT conversion Roland, it seems to be by far the best on the go, but i think i would be happy enough with a standard cooper s, i am only coming out of a cooper and may not have the technical know how to look after one if i got it and the added fuel consumption is another bone of contention for me. *Sigh*

·
Registered
47 Posts
" FACTORY FITTED GT T PACK "

GTT isn't a factory fitted item, they're independant of BMW Mini so it wouldn't be factory fitted.

When that mini was built it wasn't part of the spec to have the GTT pack it's something the previous owner decided to add to the car at a later date.

Don't necessarily walk away, just ask the seller questions, ask questions on here and you'll be able to establish what's what.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Get a leak down check done and have a mechanic you trust look it over. I wouldn't say no because of it, but I would be cautious.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Guys, your being a great help ;)

Any suggestions as to what questions i should be asking the dealer, or any wear and tear signs i should look out for? What parts are likely to need replacing at that sort of milage etc?

I asked them to tell me the average MPG read out off the on board computer and he said it was showing 31.3mpg at an average speed of 24.4mph, that sounded as good or better to me as a standard cooper s but then i didn't know enough to be certain about that one. :)

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
No, it isn't...

You could also get the VIN number and talk to MINI to see what the history is before you buy. Obviously Roland did some work on the car and between the two, you can get a pretty good picture of the cars history. Heck, can you get Roland to look at it for you?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts