MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a letter in the mail from my dealer today inviting me to trade in my MINI.
The letter references "$2,000. instant rebates on MC40 vehicles".
First time I have heard of any discount or rebate on any MINI model.

Is it the excessive list price or the MC40 concept? :confused:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Apex said:
Received a letter in the mail from my dealer today inviting me to trade in my MINI.
The letter references "$2,000. instant rebates on MC40 vehicles".
First time I have heard of any discount or rebate on any MINI model.

Is it the excessive list price or the MC40 concept? :confused:

I guess the resale value of the MC40 will not be that good after the $2K rebate. I think MINI should stay away from the rebate trap if they want to preserve thier juicy residual values.

The MC40 is a very nice MINI, but not at the $7K premium. What killed the MC40 was a total lack of substance (No JCW for instance), no ability to custom order the car and largerly useless and overpriced cosmetics that did no good to the reputation of this limited edition car.

Why pay $27K for a car with no sunroof, HK, rain sensing/auto mirror, etc?

And at 1000 produced, the MC40 is not really unique at all. My MCS is because I have yet to run into a MCS exactly configured as mine from the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think the MC40 suffered for two reasons, first is that an edition based on a rally concept that was won so many years ago, does not resonate with Americans. Most Americans have never heard of any kind of Mini win back in the '60's. Even many automotive enthusiasts. Secondly, the car is overpriced and doesn't have the limited edition features American's have come to expect. This car would have sold much better in the UK. People in the US are not going to pay $7k for what essentially amounts to some badging. Nothing unique in the car at all. In fact, you can order the entire car for less sans the commemorative plate. If you can create the car, then it isn't that special. Also, the concept of limited edition must be taken with a new perspective by Mini. Every car is limited edition. There are less of my spec of car on the road than there are of the MC40. There aren't 1,000 of my spec in the world according to Mini, yet Mini decides to stamp out the same car and call it limited edition. Also, Americans tend to want more substance from limited edition cars. Something really unique. Some coloring, CF dash, some seat colors is not a $7K limited edition car in the states. It is a $2K limited package. They should have really gone out to make a limited edition that was 30% more in cost. Like Carbon fiber hoods, JCW sport seats, more power, limited slip.....

So in my opinion the MC40 will always be a dog, will not sell well, and the people who bought it at the MSRP lost a ton of money driving it off the showroom floor. My dealership still has 5 of them, and they have been there for at least 4 months or more. They don't have any regular MCS though, and haven't had any since the beginning.

·
No Steenkin Preevileeg
664 Posts
Back a few months ago when I was waiting to order my MCS, my MA called and asked me if I'd be interested in one of their MCS40s for immediate delivery. I said no, because the car is grossly overpriced for what U get, U can't customize it from the factory, and was missing many features I desired--mfsw, H-K, moonroof, black roof. No wonder it's not doing so well here. Few know what it commemorates, or even care. So I'm not surprised it's being rebated. Can't even sell 1,000 of those buggers. Jimbo

·
Registered
691 Posts
MC40 Replacement Price

dgszweda said:
I think the MC40 suffered for two reasons, first is that an edition based on a rally concept that was won so many years ago, does not resonate with Americans. Most Americans have never heard of any kind of Mini win back in the '60's. Even many automotive enthusiasts. Secondly, the car is overpriced and doesn't have the limited edition features American's have come to expect. This car would have sold much better in the UK. People in the US are not going to pay $7k for what essentially amounts to some badging. Nothing unique in the car at all. In fact, you can order the entire car for less sans the commemorative plate. If you can create the car, then it isn't that special. Also, the concept of limited edition must be taken with a new perspective by Mini. Every car is limited edition. There are less of my spec of car on the road than there are of the MC40. There aren't 1,000 of my spec in the world according to Mini, yet Mini decides to stamp out the same car and call it limited edition. Also, Americans tend to want more substance from limited edition cars. Something really unique. Some coloring, CF dash, some seat colors is not a $7K limited edition car in the states. It is a $2K limited package. They should have really gone out to make a limited edition that was 30% more in cost. Like Carbon fiber hoods, JCW sport seats, more power, limited slip.....

So in my opinion the MC40 will always be a dog, will not sell well, and the people who bought it at the MSRP lost a ton of money driving it off the showroom floor. My dealership still has 5 of them, and they have been there for at least 4 months or more. They don't have any regular MCS though, and haven't had any since the beginning.
Just got off the miniusa site, and tried to configure a 2005 MCS to match my MC40. Variations in small things, like the color of the leather seats and so on, and the closest match I could make to the mix of options ended up being US$26,954, so I think that kind of obviates the price of the MC40 package. And, I did walk in, say "I'll take that one," and drive away, all on my birthday....

To top it off, a young lady in a late-80's vintage GTI parked next to me the other day. When she got out of her VW (which actually looked pretty cool, with strategically located stripes and dents, and "no profile" tires; I'm sure it's been around), she said, "Wow--I really like your MINI! I've never seen one like that--all the others look sorta the same." Made my day. :D

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts