MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - I have a 2005 MSC (LY/WHT) about to arrive and am going to make a suitable CD for my ride home from the dealership. I have the Harman-Kardon 8-speaker system installed and can't find out ANYWHERE if it can play CD-R's with mp3's or just standard audio format CD's.

You lucky folks out there who already have your cars - hook a brother up!

Cheers!
-steve :cool:

·
MINI2 Irregular
27 Posts
powerchordboy said:
Quick question - I have a 2005 MSC (LY/WHT) about to arrive and am going to make a suitable CD for my ride home from the dealership. I have the Harman-Kardon 8-speaker system installed and can't find out ANYWHERE if it can play CD-R's with mp3's or just standard audio format CD's.

You lucky folks out there who already have your cars - hook a brother up!

Cheers!
-steve :cool:
You bet it can!

The only negative is that it doesn't display song titles. Now, if you want to divide your mp3s into seperate groups on the CD, simply create a directory with the label 'BMW1' (without the quotes). You can create up to six (BMW1, BMW2...).

Now go, burn away!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys! Now I can make a multi-genre CD to more completely explore the capabilities of the sound system.

Now I can make my wife even more certain that I'm obsessed! :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
powerchordboy said:
Thanks, guys! Now I can make a multi-genre CD to more completely explore the capabilities of the sound system.

You're not obsessed you just like to pay attention to detail and in this case it is actually a User Acceptance Test of the HK sound system to insure that you have all the preset setting configured properly :D :D :D

Pump up the volume and enjoy!!!

·
aaaaaalright
103 Posts
powerchordboy said:

Make sure you keep the songs at the least 160kbps when you burn them so you dont lose any sound quality. mp3s are great for stuffing 500 songs on a disc but your best sound will come from a CD,

but either way the stereo rules and it shuold be awesome, good luck

·
Registered
139 Posts
More Details Please

I just ordered my 05 MCS. I got the HK system and was wondering if there is an online source for more info on this deck. Can it shuffle MP3's ? Someone mentioned putting them in directories..... how does that work ?

My MA wasn't much help. He didn't even know the unit could play MP3s.

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you make the CD, just put your song collections in different folders.
I don't understand why Phaedrus suggested calling the BMW1, 2, 3 etc - why not
call them something that means something?

Texy

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
MP3 CDs - NOOOOOOO

Wot you lot need is an iPOD. A nice little 40GB one, so you can store about 20000 tracks. Just think how long you get to drive to listen to 20000 tracks!

There's a fitting kit that makes your stereo think the iPOD is a CD Changer. MFSW controls work it and it looks rather funky too.

Go on, you know you want to....

·
Registered
126 Posts
has anyone figured out the way to specify which folder goes first?
I tried alphabetic order, that didn't work, the albums didn't seem to play in any specific order.
I tried numeric (01 - something, 02 - someone else), that didn't work either. again, folders played in no obvious order.

maybe phaedrus is onto something calling the folder BMW1, BMW2, ...
although he's off that it only supports 6 folders, I put 8 or 9 on my last CD and it will play through all the folders.

·
Zing!
28 Posts
Be careful with mp3s and burned cds. The Harmon Kardon system is crap for playing them and causes them to skip and random points. There have been several threads on this and I am experiencing the problem with burned cds skipping right now. Is this different from what you guys are saying? Are you saying that instead of burning a cd you can just drag the songs you want onto a cd-r and it will play them? Is this how you can get 500 of them on a cd? Sounds cool!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have no problems at all playing MP3 CD's from my HK system, although I am running a pre facelift car with old head unit and a Sony MP3 changer in the boot. Oh, and from my setup even 128kbps sounds great! :)

·
Now Supercharged.
87 Posts
colink said:
There's a fitting kit that makes your stereo think the iPOD is a CD Changer. MFSW controls work it and it looks rather funky too.

Go on, you know you want to....
What's the name of this fitting kit? Where could i get one?

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
Dension IceLink. You can get it from http://www.newministuff.co.uk/. It's worth ordering the metal bracket that holds the iPod without needing to drill holes in it. Have a look at my gallery to see a pic.

NewMiniStuff are excellent - there's a fitting guide on the website so even a useless idiot like me was able to fit it (well, I did get some help from a mate!)

Enjoy :cool:

·
Bugaboo Racer
1,559 Posts
With iTunes, you can create playlists, which I guess are essentially the same as folders.

Not sure about MP3 CDs made using iTunes - I always use my iPod so never have cause to burn CDs anymore.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
whokilledkaji said:
Do MP3 CDs made with iTunes work well too???

I don't think iTunes can make folders, but I really don't mind that...
That's what we do and it works fine. iTunes does have a habit of grouping the songs by album into folders, which is a bit odd, and makes navigation inconvenient, though that may just be something I've set strangely in my preferences...

And it does shuffle the songs if you want. There's a button you press - M? and it will change the display to RND and play randomly.

It's one of the best parts about the stereo, and you don't even need the H-K to get it.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 21 Posts