MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just bought a 2005 Mini Cooper and I have a question about the stero system

I "think" that there is a setting so that the volume of the stero is increased/decreased depending on the road speed. I had the manual out tonight and can't seem to access this feature. I pressed and held the little button with the music note on it until the "Tone Lin" showed up and then pressed it a few times to scroll thru the options. The "Speed" option isn't there. Does this sytem support this and if so, how do I activate it?

Thanks for any insight,

Jon

'05 Mini Cooper
Pure SIlver - Black Roof

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Jon,
Regular topic ...
The standard Boost system does have an adjustment ("SPEED VOL" between 1 and 6 I think).

The HK system does *not* have any adjustment - very early systems still displayed the "SPEED VOL" but it had no effect; later systems suppressed the display as well.

The HK has its own built in non-adjustable speed compensation - it works "just enough" so that you don't notice that it is working ;)
I wonder whether there is a new routine for compensation in the convertible, depending if the top is up or down?

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Yeah, I found this bizarre. You would think that the h/k system would let you choose your volume-level setting between 1-6, as on the BMWs, but it doesn't. Only the stock stereos do that. Go figure... :confused:

·
Registered
514 Posts
GBMINI said:
I wonder whether there is a new routine for compensation in the convertible, depending if the top is up or down?
Based on how my HK unit has been working, I don't think so. The HK auto compensation seems to be pretty much non-existent. :( Driving with the top down, I find myself having to lower the volume while at traffic lights.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
jcslocum182 said:
I don't think there is any auto compensation. At least with the volume on the steering wheel it's easy enough to adjust!
In my experimentation with different head units, amp, etc over the first six months of GBMINI ownership, I definitely needed to turn the volume up when the HK amp was not available to do it for me - thus I am convinced there is some compensation.

Here is an experiment to try if you are MP3 skilled:
Record a CDR of music.
Record a second CDR with the same tracks, but modified so that their volume is way lower (-12dB or more attenuation). Low enough so that you have to play them in the car at max volume in order to listen to them at a "normal" level.

Now, when you listen to the volume reduced CDR, because the HK amp is already at max volume it has no compensation, and you should notice the difference from playing the normal CDR at normal volume levels!

·
Sponsor/Moderator/Other
3,265 Posts
It works. If you are driving on the highway (60-70mph), volume adjusted to taste, then stop at a light, say at the exit ramp, you will notice the volume is not incredibly loud, its subtle, but its definetly working. It does get a bit screwey if you're using some of the digital processing modes, because they can tend to distort things unevenly as far as frequency, so you won't notice it at one speed, but will at another. (If that makes any sense.. if you try it you'll see what I mean) Suffice it to say lots of bass at low speed will be annoying, but at high speed, it will cover up wind noise.

Odd its not adjustable on the convertible though... They should offer a 2nd routine - top down, that you can access with a button (or even tie it into the top lowering button) that compensates much more. Things for 2006 I suppose.

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
The auto compensation is definitely there. If you are listening to pretty aggressive or bass-filled music, you can hear it. I just wish h/k users had the ability to change the level manually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.