MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the best way to get discounts/better deals from dealers?

I've been to my local one to enquire about a new cooper/cooper S. They don't seem too enthusiastic.. not one freebie or discount at all... I mean I know mini's are all the rage now and have huge demand... but still... nothing at all.

Any tips most welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Supply and demand. Some people are paying $1,500 over MSRP, so don't expect any type of discount in the near future - meaning the next few years.

Good luck.

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
mini haggling

i blagged a tlc pack, s chrome filler cap, and some mini key rings!! all dealers have room to budge and the saleperson wants comission on the car so they are prepared to chuck in a few things if u keep at them and show good interest in the car, as these extra bits that u can get thrown in with the deal dont normally come off there comission. some people have even blagged a free sunroof and stripes etc! dont give up, they want your money just as much as you want the mini!!

good luck

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
you should get between 100-150 off without too much bother. go to www.drivethedeal.com get their quote, politely wave it in your dealers face and if the want the sale they will try their hardest. I doubt they will match it (approx a £350 saving) but if youd rather buy locally then they may meet you half way ish. Dont be demanding or rude about it tho as it will just get their back up, be considerate and understanding to their reasons etc and it will put you in good sted. Personally I ordered from Drivethedeal to get the full discount. So far found them to be good (not delivered yet!) tho my car will be coming from aberdeen!

·
Morph-a-Doodle
3,074 Posts
Want to haggle? Talk to me

You play the dealer

You play the dealer
Try and find a dealer in a socially deprived area not high earning areas, Hull are Chesterfield are two which I used. Scotthall in leeds and really plush dealerships are a no-go
These dealers still have to conform to BMW standards but are more liberal with knocking money off, I feel this is because like other dealerships in more afluent areas they have still have to meet all there targets
It's because Lord 'Chuffin' Ha Har isn't going in with wads of cash saying "I want that one", as often so they want your buisness even more.
For the most I wouldn't give any car dealers the time of day, because the ones I've ever met have been habitual liars for example when you buying a car with high miles the dealer chips in with "Ah sir these engines are only beggining to run in at 30,000" Where as if you where trading in your car with high miles the dealer would then look at your vehicle wincing and sucking air in through his coffee stained teeth!

In this case what I'd do is take a pen and paper with you go round the prospective car that you want, and detail all faults you can see with it, such as alloy wheel chips, stone chips, scratches, imperfections in the body work, hey if your that way inclined say theres a minor crease in the body work (you'll have to swear blind on this one or it dosn't work!) the more persisstant you are the more the dealer will cave in.
Don't say any thing to the dealer until you have throughrely checked everything inside and out, you know just like they would.
Playing them at there own game is good, and certainley do your re-search on the car your looking for, even if you know what extras the cars got ask the dealer if it has heated seats, Xenons, air con, if it dosn't then it's time for you to do deals, to in some way compensate for these items perhaps missing.
He's some of the examples I ask for - Road Fund lincense £160, Full tank of petrol £40, Car mats £55, TLC £100, Wax and Wash £25, Keyring £5, Extra Keyrings for my spare Set of keys and also my girl freind would like one, £15.
Just remember if you don't like the deal walk away to do an appraisal on your car they take your telephone number believe you me you walk away they will definatley ring you I've proved that every time.
Just as an example of how I did I won't bore you any more with what I got knocked off the car or what I got as extras but safe to say at Bridgegate, Chesterfield I didn't manage to get the shirt off his back, but I got his tie pin instead!!!!!! And thats true
If you've found this piece informative don't be shy with the rep points, use the advice it'll save you many a pound!
Quotes you can use
1, "I like the car but theirs others" 2, "If you were me would you like that price?" 3, "I'm doing you the favour by giving you commission 4, What does your manager think? **** 5, "come on the suns shining and it's a lovely day just one more keyring!"
****4, This is where the dealer goes back into the showroom and pretends to talk to the manager, he's really sticking on his Kenco Patches, notice the speed of his speech when he comes back!!
At the end of the day buying from a far away dealeris then the end of it . All your service gets carried out at any BMW dealer.

Remember if you keep them talking long enough they'll be aching for the next coffe fix and will do any deal you want Rams Bronte Run 5th Dec 04

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
Don't be too clever.....

Okay,

I'm a car salesman. Not for MINI but for one of the top five brands in the UK.

Tips on getting a good deal.......

1. DO NOT walk in with the 'i'm doing you a favour' routine. We see through that every day and will think you are a prat and lose interest before you've even sipped at your freebie showroom hot drink.

2. DO NOT try and be clever. For every car we sell, we see 6 - 10 people. It doesn't take many smart ass lines for us to lose interest and make you one of the statistics.

3. Parkers guide, What Car guide etc etc are all rubbish designed to convince people who know nothing about cars that they know something about cars and have an amazing ability to give every one the power of Jeremy Clarkson in a showroom.

THE BEST WAY TO THE BEST DEAL....

Be honest with your sales person. If you've seen a car cheaper elsewhere, tell them. If you don't like something on the car they're showing you, tell them. If you want £1,000,000 for your part exchange tell them. Try and become friends with your sales person. If you walk in with the 'smart **** I know everything my car is worth ten grand your car is over priced you will chuck in this that and your wife' attitude, the sales person will take an instant dislike to you and commission or otherwise won't want to strike a deal with you. If he does, the deal will not be as good as it can be.

We are on commission. The more we sell and the more profit we retain, the more money we take home. It's important to remember that we also speak to a lot of tyrekickers every day. Rightly or (probably) wrongly we are very quick to form an opinion of someone when they start talking to us. For this reason, you need to have the salesman on your side.

If somebody walks into my showroom and demands x% off and free mats and flaps etc before i've even sat down, i'll lose interest, get on the defensive and that customer will not buy a car from me. If somebody walks into my showroom open-minded and talks openly and honestly to me, they may well end up getting the same deal the first guy wanted but because I felt he/she deserved it because we'd built up some rapport and were "mates".

Bottom line. If you try and be too much of a smart **** you'll get what you want from the fourth or fifth dealer you visit. It you walk in with a positive and constructive frame of mind you'll get what you want from the first dealer you visit.

Neil C

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
Mini-Trainer said:
You play the dealer

Quotes you can use
1, "I like the car but theirs others" 2, "If you were me would you like that price?" 3, "I'm doing you the favour by giving you commission 4, What does your manager think? **** 5, "come on the suns shining and it's a lovely day just one more keyring!"
****4, This is where the dealer goes back into the showroom and pretends to talk to the manager, he's really sticking on his Kenco Patches, notice the speed of his speech when he comes back!!

Ten quid says none of these fantastic lines have achieved anything except a polite smile from your sales person. Goes back to my smart **** comments earlier.

Incidentally, here are the translations of those "quotes you can use".....

1. "I like the car but there's others" - - translation- I've got a day off and i'm driving round comparing colours. I'm only here because you are the closest/cheapest. I've spent ages researching on the web but i've still come here because you are the closest/cheapest.

2." If you were me would you like that price?". - translation- I heard Mike Brewer say that on telly and he looked cool. Think about what you are saying.

3. "i'm doing you a favour by giving you the commission". translation - I know you are paid on commission which makes me feel like I have one up on you so I can be a bit cheeky. No you can't. If somebody said that to me I'd send them packing.

4. Kenco patches....... You've got me there. Although, incidentally, the reason we leave you alone whilst dissapearing to affix our Kenco patches is to let hen pecked husbands speak to their wives and get permission to say yes when we return.

Just be nice to the sales guy, we're human too.......

NC

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I used to work for a company that produced training material (interactive etc.) for large dealer networks in the UK (naming no names). It wasn't just sales, the whole "thing", but the sales stuff just made us want to cringe. IF the dealers actually worked and sold how they were trained, they'd lose my custom in a few moments, even if I REALLY wanted the car they had on sale, I'd go elsewhere. They were taught all the cheesy old cliches and other really base level sales stuff. I guess it works on a lot of peopel, as they do really well, but it was always amusing. It would also be very easy to wind them up by giving the "wrong" answers and leading them in various ways... but I'd never do that. ;) The best description was the training was like "The Office" but for real, it was scary.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
Neil Curtis said:
Just be nice to the sales guy, we're human too.......

NC
Got to agree with that. I've worked in sales and service. If people treat you like an ****, they're just likely to get the same in return.

Worked for a bank/credit card company once, and had some power/descretion over refunding charges (or otherwise) to customers. If a customer was nice, they'd have a MUCH better chance of getting it back, if they started out acting all high and mighty and rude, well, they'd not do so well.

:D

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
We are sent on more training courses than is healthy. We (Sales people scum) are taught all sorts of wonderful cheesy unrealistic ways of selling cars. They go through the whole catalogue of sales cliches.

At the end of the day people buy from people (actually, that is one of the cliches). Just treat us like human beings and see how much smoother the whole process goes.....

Neil C

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
the above is so true, i've been in sales before so i think i know how to treat people to my advantage. the whole 'manager' thing is cr*p if salesman can, or more importantly WANTS to sell you a car at a given price then he will. Honesty, politeness and consideration = £££s :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts