MINI Cooper Forum banner

Half lit engine sign on dash

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Colonel Bogey 
#1 ·
Just purchased 2009 cooper s and the wife was driving to the coast when the half lit engine light appeared any ideas before I take it straight back to the dealer that's if it's safe to drive

#2 · (Edited)
Hello Tom and welcome.

I am no expert but have also had this light coming on in my 2010 cooper s.
Half engine symbol in tacho display tells you that the car has gone into "Limp mode". Basically engine management limits power to protect engine.
It should be ok to drive back to the dealer.
Ideally you want to read associated error codes but you need a decent obd2 scanner for that.

In my case I am getting codes 2C56 and 2C58. Which is an overboost issue, hopefully somewhere in the vacuum system that controls wastegate. I have been investigating and have not had the issue for about a week now so am hoping my poking around, testing various vacuum hoses, has cured the problem. 🤞

#3 ·
Hello Tom and welcome.

I am no expert but have also had this light coming on in my 2010 cooper s.
Half engine symbol in tacho display tells you that the car has gone into "Limp mode". Basically engine management limits power to protect engine.
It should be ok to drive back to the dealer.
Ideally you want to read associated error codes but you need a decent obd2 scanner for that.

In my case I am getting codes 2C56 and 2C58. Which is an overboost issue, hopefully somewhere in the vacuum system that controls wastegate. I have been investigating and have not had the issue for about a week now so am hoping my poking around, testing various vacuum hoses, has cured the problem. 🤞
Many thanks for the reply 👍

#8 ·
Hello MrD.

Yes, issue was intermittant.
I could drive as far and as hard as I liked but if I stopped and switched engine off, then continued shortly afterwards, then error would occur on modest/hard acceleration.

Replaced diverter valve and checked vacuum pump and hoses. Issue remained.
Tried several times to fit new boost solenoid on the drive from underneath with no success. Seen it done on youtube but I couldnt even locate it!!!!
Had intake valves wallnut blasted and garage kindly fitted new boost solenoid for free while intake manifiold was off. No more issues. ( I obviously supplied the part )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.