MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would going from halogen headlights to factory xenon headlights (Gen1 reflector style) be an easy reftro fit job?
i.e, remove old units, fit new xenon units, plumb in washers, align them, off I go!

·
83 Posts
it is possible but not legal as xenon headlights require self levelling sensors and wouldnt be economical to fit the wiring and the sensors! the headlights do fit and work fine as i have fitted them on my cooper no problem never been flashed once and it went through the MOT fine!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the ECU need coding afterwards to accept the new headlights?

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
it is possible but not legal as xenon headlights require self levelling sensors and wouldnt be economical to fit the wiring and the sensors! the headlights do fit and work fine as i have fitted them on my cooper no problem never been flashed once and it went through the MOT fine!
So what you're saying is you have illegal headlights fitted to your car? :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
The ECU? No... The BCU maybe.... Installing the sensors will not be easy as you have to basically remove the wishbone to get them on not to mention that you will have to run the harness.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ECU? No... The BCU maybe.... Installing the sensors will not be easy as you have to basically remove the wishbone to get them on not to mention that you will have to run the harness.
Sorry, I'm used to playing around with VW Group cars & hooking up VAG-Com to the ECU to programme any changes.

What's the BCU?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry, I'm used to playing around with VW Group cars & hooking up VAG-Com to the ECU to programme any changes.

What's the BCU?
VAG cars have a BCU but its called the comfort control module ;)

On a New Beetle its just in front of the gearstick, under the centre console :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Managed to get myself a pair of facelift OEM xenon headlights on Ebay!!
So we will see if they work straight away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, yeah my old car had OEM xenons & they were set at the lowest point.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the headlights arrived this morning & I've just tried to see if they work.
I unplugged the headlight connector from the existing headlamp, plugged it into the xenon headlight, started the engine & switched on the headlights.
Everything works fine! :)
The only problem is that one of the bezels around the projector lamp has come loose. So I need to remove the projector lamp housing & clip the bezel back in place. Looks a bit fiddly but possible maybe?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The facelift xenons are fitted & working spot on!
They came with the washer jets already fitted, so I'm going to fit a new washer bottle & high pressure pump on the N/S & then plumb in the hoses!!
Going to wire up a relay to the dipped beam & windscreen washer switch to activate the pump. And then see if that works. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts