Discussion Starter #1
I had my mini 3 day and 2 times it rolled down a hill
Has anyone else had the same problem?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bmw said its not a fault ?

i think it is a fault because when i told them about it the second time they had me straight in the workshop
i think it is a big problem

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
I've been on here for months and haven't heard of another case of slack hand-brakes. Sounds to me like you've just been unlucky. The dealers would be mad not to call you back in to have it fixed asap - this is a dangerous fault after all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dodgy Handbrake

A colleague of mine took delivery of his Cooper over Christmas and he's reported the handbrake as being a bit slack.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of MINIs with apparently fautlty handbrakes (in this and another thread), but it makes me curious as why the car(s) would roll - isn't it common practice in the UK, as it is in the US, to leave a parked car in gear (1st or reverse) and set the handbrake as well?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nope, it's common practice to have a handbrake that works!!

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I always leave my car in gear when parked just in case it fails but my girlfriend doesn't

As a result she once tried to start my car without pressing the clutch. Quite annoying for me.

I don't think people are taught this when learning to drive.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Interesting....

In the US about 90% of all cars are automatics and close to 100% of those automatic drivers ignore setting the hand or foot-operated parking brake - they just slam the selector into "Park" and leave 'em.

I would never think of leaving a manual shift car in neutral with only the handbrake to hold it - even on level ground. I always put it in gear as an extra level of safety.

As for concerns of starting while in gear, I unconsciously select neutral (once burned, twice shy) before ever turning the key. But about 10 years ago US regulations demanded manufacturers install a clutch pedal cut-off switch so a manual shift car can't be started unless the clutch pedal is depressed. Stupid law, but effective on stupid people. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Dodgy Handbrake

blak-hak said:
A colleague of mine took delivery of his Cooper over Christmas and he's reported the handbrake as being a bit slack.
that'd be me then!!!

Yeah, the handbrake is faulty and often takes a couple of pulls to get the thing to stick on. Also i've had the bl**dy thing release itself on it's own accord..:eek: Luckily it's only happened while i've been at the wheel and i'm now very careful to leave the car parked in-gear.

The part is now available at the dealers and it's being changed on monday morning.

By the way, i think this is something that is well known about at BMW; the service department had to fill in some extra documentation and send an email to BMW Technical Dept. before the parts were released - seems that there is an 'official' fix for this problem and they want to take care to send out the 'correct' part/s. I seem to remember Pichardthecat having a similar explanation from his dealer?

Still, nothing else to report so far so i'll be a very happy punter again by monday - i'll just have to be a very careful one till then!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I avoid the Fault and Fixes threads like hell, they are in my opinion unrepresentative. By nature people only post problems, not a post about how great everything works, But... Could you see it coming.

This evening my wife spoke to a work friend, who like us has the Fantastic MINI, who told of the most horrendous experience on Christmas day.

Cutting a long story short, parked on a hill the handbrake failed and the car hit a tree, her 5yr old had to be rescued from the car. As you can imagine very distressing.
Funnily enough a couple of days earlier, she had called the Dealer to say the handbrake wasn't right. She didn't call MINI rescue, with hindsight the better option. The dealer asked her to bring the car in:( after the hols!

Both are OK and the car is having the damage repaired, but I will from now on take the American advise and park in first:eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
BruceK said:
I'm sorry to hear of MINIs with apparently fautlty handbrakes (in this and another thread), but it makes me curious as why the car(s) would roll - isn't it common practice in the UK, as it is in the US, to leave a parked car in gear (1st or reverse) and set the handbrake as well?
I've heard that there is actually a law in San Fransisco requiring wheels to be turned into the curb on hills. Seems like a good idea, especially on steep hills like the one my Sister used to live on. I remember some people putting bricks behind the wheels, but why give local vandals the ammunition?

Ian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, the handbrake is faulty and often takes a couple of pulls to get the thing to stick on. Also i've had the bl**dy thing release itself on it's own accord.. Luckily it's only happened while i've been at the wheel and i'm now very careful to leave the car parked in-gear.
This happened to me too, I parked up (I live on a hill) and as I was getting out of the car I heard a "clonk" - the handbrake had released itself and the car started rolling down the hill! As it hasn't happened since, I just assumed I hadn't engaged the thing properly, but maybe I had better pay a visit to my dealer.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, might be worth a trip.By the way, when i called in, the dealer didn't even bother to check out the car for himself, he just said he would order the parts and fix the problem!! Not the first time he's seem this, me thinks;)

Still, so long as it's fixed on monday i don't really care.
I'll post the outcome next week!:D :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
handbrake

Have the same problem with my handbrake. Once it has been applied it will suddenly release itself with a loud bang once you have left the car. Luckily I have always left the car in gear. Car going in next week for new handbrake assembly, together with a new handle as mine twists in my hand, anyone else got this problem.

Hoping to reject car on Monday when Dealer will have answer from BMW. All usual problems, pull to the left, cracked windscreen also having front seats replaced next week as well.

Think I will be ordering a Cooper S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmmmm. I'm not so sure my handbreak is coming off properly!

The other day in a trafic jam, just crawling along, whenever I pressed the clutch to let the car roll a bit, it seemed to be breaking gently without me touching the break pedal or hand break. Felt like a sticky caliper. Seems to have gone away now.

I'm a little concerned.

·
Registered
97 Posts
BI GAL said:
Still, so long as it's fixed on monday i don't really care.
I'll post the outcome next week!:D :p [/B]

:rolleyes:
bit later than planned, sorry!

New handbrake has sorted it, all i need now is to de-squeek my seats.....:D

PS, I really love this car:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mini Hand Break Problem

The same thing happened to me. I had it checked out yesterday and they said that nothing was wrong with it. It has left me with a bill for £300 to repair the damge to the front of the car.

I think BMW should be liable and mu local dealer has asked to get as much info as possible. Please help folks.

Has this happened to anyone else????

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
Could this be a similar problem which effected the Citreon Xantia in extreme circumstances?
The Xantias handbrake was applied to the front disc brakes and when the discs cooled they shrank back to their normal size hence creating less grip when the handbrake was originally applied when the discs were very hot and expanded.
As the MINI has discs all round this could be a similar problem???
Your garage might not pick up on this if they tested the brakes under "cold" conditions.
What you may need to do is recreate the conditions.

Just a thought, I hope it helps :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts