MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I thought I'd share the fun I had at Oran Park on Saturday the 31st July. Always good fun throwing the Ol' Greendevil hard into Turn 1 coming off the main straight and cockin' ya hind leg :D

Attachments

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dairyboy said:
Looking sweet :) what sorta wheels are they btw?
16x7 Starcorp Ultralites with Falken RS003 Slicks. You won't believe this but I got the slicks for $100 each! Brand new.. Falken no longer sell slicks to the public and the set had been collecting dust out the back for awhile :D The net result is huge bang for buck as you can see.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
Those wheels looked somewhat similar to Boo's OZ lol. Another question - how do you find driving it with the windows open? I can't imagine doing laps after laps with my windows open!

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dairyboy said:
Those wheels looked somewhat similar to Boo's OZ lol. Another question - how do you find driving it with the windows open? I can't imagine doing laps after laps with my windows open!
Took the helmet off and put the windows down for a "cool off" lap..

I have worked out that no matter how expensive your road tyres are, 80-100 track laps for the day will turn them into 1/2 baked crud. Except for perhaps the standard runflats - lousy grip but very hard wearing. No such thing as a free lunch I guess.

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Looks like your getting some pretty good body roll!!

Im very envious!! I had a great time on the weekend on Mini run but it looked like you had more fun!!

Todd

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red&blackS said:
Looks like your getting some pretty good body roll!!

Im very envious!! I had a great time on the weekend on Mini run but it looked like you had more fun!!

Todd
And I have a stiffer Whiteline rear swaybar!! Gives you an idea how the car still sticks to road despite large transitional weight transfer. Slicks on an OPH Run would be a hoot!

·
Boy who made the wolf cry
10,324 Posts
Greendevil said:
And I have a stiffer Whiteline rear swaybar!! Gives you an idea how the car still sticks to road despite large transitional weight transfer. Slicks on an OPH Run would be a hoot!
I think its like what CanberraCooperS said on the racing pages... doesnt matter how much grip you've got if everything is rolling on itself cause you have heaps of grip...

Im yet to dothe OPH run, but from what I've heard its quite exciting... I'll be up soon for a fang I think... in the mean time, I have the Great Ocean Road in my backyard... that is always fun too:D

Keep up the great work... keep posting very cool shots of minis showing Audis their cocked leg:p

Todd

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More Pix

Just a few more pix including an non-LSD getaway..

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a good day :)

Always fun on the track :)

I put my old Protron GTi on the track ( Wakefield Park ) and it was a hoot. I havent put the Type R on the track yet though when I live so close to the OPH, it makes up for it :)

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
Hmmmm..... Oran Park South Circuit...... Down the straight at full noise, late brake into the tight left hander........

Favourite is definately the dog leg over the crest, nothing like going at speed into the unknown :D :D

·
my second passion, a tin!
729 Posts
me 55.7s :D, I think robbo did a 54.4

Thats in the hot seat, no lounge room console :D :D

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi Carl,

Great photos :D :D

Slicks, mmmm, I'm jealous ;)

You are getting very serious :cool:

How did the slicks compare to previous tyres.

Cheers

Robbo

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
robbo mcs said:
Hi Carl,

Great photos :D :D

Slicks, mmmm, I'm jealous ;)

You are getting very serious :cool:

How did the slicks compare to previous tyres.

Cheers

Robbo
Hi Robbo,

For the track, you can't go past slicks. Stiff sidewalls and zero tyre void. Anything else is a compromise (except in the wet).

For me, they certainly provide better grip than your expensive road-going and hybrid club sport tyres - yet are long lasting, better value and simply more practical for the track.

If you are going to go to the effort of bringing a set of wheels to the track you might as well make it worthwhile in my view. For practice days / driver training / "no speed limit" days at Eastern Creek you can concerntrate on your driving and really go hard without being overly sensitive to the wear and tear you are subjecting your tyres to. In fact it makes driving the MINI much more fun!! With the extra grip you will find yourself actually late apexing corners with more speed compared to what you might have done on street tyres ... Slicks inspire more confidence.

For the next practice day we can swap wheels (you get pretty quick on the changes after a while) and you can make a judgement using your own car and wheels as a comparison as be are both running 205 x 50 profile on 16" rims. That's my offer to you.

Hopefully see you on the track soon :)

·
Sponsor and Widget
1,736 Posts
Wow you are getting serious... full slicks.
I would love to have a go on full slicks but was told i would have to run a dry sump :rolleyes: Do you know what times you were doing?
Car looks awesome by the way :D:D

·
Track Pal
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Boo said:
Wow you are getting serious... full slicks.
I would love to have a go on full slicks but was told i would have to run a dry sump :rolleyes: Do you know what times you were doing?
Car looks awesome by the way :D:D
Have not heard of MINIs pulling such high Gs with slicks that people are moving to installing dry sumps.. I know of a case where an M3 E36 (3.0L not 3.2L) engine experienced oil surge problems on the predominately left-hander Eastern Creek circuit whereby oil surging in the pan caused oil pickup problems. Who is making the dry sump recommendation? Installing an oil-cooler and keeping an eye on oil levels / temps should really be sufficient I would have thought. But hey, if you drive over pieces of my motor because the top end has not received sufficient oil and blew ... - you did warn me!!

I have no idea of times but hopefully next time I am out at the track there will be some other MINIs out there :confused: it has been a solo effort of late.. But I guess as a bottom line the slick tyre is a no-compromise solution to the track. Better performance and ultimately more economical.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
13 Participants
Berthil
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing