MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Astro
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got my cooper and ive got 3000miles on it, ive been driving it quite hard after the 1000miles mark, but the last few day i have hammered it and now i worried, i took it past the 7K mark and my MPG is averaging 25mpg

is this bad and is there any chance of damage and wear?

I feel sad that i might of hurt or upset my mini! hehe

Cheers guys

Alex

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
I find that after a good thrashing, :D my Cooper feels faster and more responsive, it seems to wake up the engine management system!

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
I can't imagine going over it a few times in a short period could hurt it at all. That's what the limiter in is there for. If you were to bounce the limiter over and over and over in the same gear, then you might have a problem...

·
Mini in Maine
556 Posts
Not surprise at the mileage....

L13 Cooper said:
ive got my cooper and ive got 3000miles on it, ive been driving it quite hard after the 1000miles mark, but the last few day i have hammered it and now i worried, i took it past the 7K mark and my MPG is averaging 25mpg

Cheers guys

Alex
not sure there's a car made that gets decent mileage if you hammer it.

As for the engine the manual talks about being pretty gentle till you reach 1250. After that you gradually plink away till your hammering. Sounds like you're okay so far. Personally I'll be trying to follow all the rules, but ya never know. ;-)

·
MUGEN POWER
11,372 Posts
L13 Cooper said:

Cheers guys

Alex
30k miles like that and it's fine:p

btw 25mpg is gud:eek: :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
I started caining my mini as soon as i got over the 1400 mark i'm not worried at all, i think the only way your going to hurt mini is by sitting in first with your foot down. I get 28 mpg btw if your interested.

Only thing i'm worried about is the cost of my tyres and brakes :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
L13 Cooper said:

Cheers guys

Alex
Give it some, i think the cooper needs a good thrashing, in fact i think it enjoys it.
It definately makes the car more of a driving pleasure.

pubert

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yikes - some of you guys are getting really poor fuel consumption.

My car's now on around 2000 limes, and my average MPG is 31.0 which I was hoping would improve as the engine loosens up. The other thing is that most of my mileage is in traffic and I never turn off the A/C - looks like 31 is about the best I can expect (and before you ask, I like to thrash the car now and again, it's just that in traffic it's a bit difficult)

·
Clio 197 R27
2,235 Posts
You guys must be giving your coopers some hammer!!! I gave my s a fair amount of stick on the last tank and got it down to 25mpg, but usually I get about 27 - 28 mpg, and thats with the occasional blast. Think I used to get about 32 mpg from my cooper. Im obviously not giving it enough! :D

·
Registered
169 Posts
I must say i'm happy with the 28 mpg i get on my cooper coz i don't half throw it about, every little journy is a mini race for me, i hit 6500 rpm quite alot if not more.

I love ppl pulling up next to me in there 318's and thinking they can out do me !! :D

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Alex, stop worrying, the cars fine. I often take mine up to the limit and if you have the OBC showing current consumption it goes down to about 14mpg when I do this! :eek:

I suggest you reset the average consumption and see it go back into the 30's in seconds. Coopers love being thrashed, very soon your car will feel like its really alive. The harder you drive it the better it gets:p

Just get out and have fun. Stop worrying! You have a warranty for peace of mind.:D

Paul

·
racing is in my blood
203 Posts
if it's run in and the oil is warm (at least 8 miles of driving) then give it some welly! use a decent quality fuel too, just for peace of mind.

sure, if you redline it on every journey you'll drop the engine life expectancy, but suppose it depends if you intend having the car at 70,000miles? the engine will be really free and happier to rev if you give it some beans than an engine never taken above 3k.

and 25 mpg???? 11 is my record on the road (cooper not an S) and that's using the traditional methods, as i don't have an OBC.

i did 40 miles south of glasgow to 20 miles north of aberdeen (about 200 miles) in under three hours at weekend. obviously, i have my own private road to achieve this on, but the fuel consumption driving fast was only slightly worse than cruising down when i was going south. think it's the theory that the engine is running for far less a time, but whilst it is it is drinking more heavily. ie, (for argument's sake- i know the maths aren't right) 4 hours at 70mph, 3 hours at 110mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts