MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else heard the rumours that in the next year or so there is going to be a mini convertible with a hard top style roof? What does everyone think if this is true, would you swap your cloth convertible with a hard top convertible?

I don't think I would, I love the cute way that the mini cloth roof all folds down at the back of your car. I dont know if making it hard top is going a bit too far and getting away from the cuteness.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love the look of the hard top roadster.
For me personall, though, I wouldn't buy it due to the fact that I'm married with a child.
But it is definitely one of the best looking CGI variants I have seen.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Was in Auto Express

This was in the Auto Express a few weeks ago, It looks really nice, two seater with soft and hard tops, proper sports car. I was going to have a convertible in March, have changed mind now and waiting till 2007 for one of these. Have Cooper S at the moment. I have been told that the hoods on the convertible tend to wear on the corners, has anyone noticed this.

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Re the fabric roof wear - there are lots of threads and postings on this topic. The suspicion is that there is either a design or a manufacturing fault (or both!), but MINI's approach appears to be a mixture of general denial with selective responses where the scuffing or wear is undeniable. Pity - it's not doing their customer service reputation any good!

·
Registered
22 Posts
dalboyne said:
Re the fabric roof wear - there are lots of threads and postings on this topic. The suspicion is that there is either a design or a manufacturing fault (or both!), but MINI's approach appears to be a mixture of general denial with selective responses where the scuffing or wear is undeniable. Pity - it's not doing their customer service reputation any good!
I just got an 05 MCC in November. I have had no trouble with roof wearing so far. In fact, me and the mini just experienced our first snow a couple of days ago. Other than needing a bath she is fine. I would, however, like to see a hard top come out for the mini convertible so it can wear it during the winter months (similar to what miata has done).

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
a hard top for the current car is impossible, the fabric over hangs the rear of the body, so this would get caught;)

If there is to be a hardtop/speedster don't expect to see it until 2007, as there are more than enough changes going on next year at MINI with the launch of new One, Cooper, MCS, Engines etc... So doubt they will re-designing a car that they only launched this year. The work load would be too high and also they would not have gained back the investment into the current cabrio:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
The more I read about new motors and changing body styles, the more I want to keep my 2003. However, If MINI came out with a two-seater with a hard-top that folded out of sight into the trunk area , i'd have to have it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
those pics make it look tacky. it completely loses its charm, and the windscreen is on too much of an angle. it wouldnt be a mini anymore - was there ever a classic of this design? stupid idea!!! call it something else, or go buy a tigra or tt!

·
hey lightbulb head....
1,305 Posts
if we all kept looking at future variants and liked the look of them then everyone would be constantly waiting and waiting for the next model to come out and not buy a current one. there has been many variants pictures about but they never end up being as they are in the pictures! the current convetable didnt turn out the same as it was in the pictures i first saw anyway! the final designs we see never really turn out to be the same in real life...

i think if you like the look of the mini now, then buy one, as you may be dissapointed by the changes in future! the current mini has alot to offer and thats in all forms, one cooper and s and the trick convertable...

dont be on a constant wait for the next model to come out as they will change that further once you have bought it anyway!

stick with current times! buy now, dont wait for what could not be as bigger hit as it currently is!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts