MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this Hi Fi look any different?

I can`t find any pics anywhere?
I would appriate if someone had some, if they could post here.
Plus how much better is the sound quality over the standard system?

·
MINI Owner!
415 Posts
Everything looks exactly the same with the exception of the speakers in front saying "Harmon Kardon" on them. The head-unit is the same, and it looks pretty "stock", which is a good thing. As for sound quality, I've never heard it myself in person, but from what I've read, it sounds great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It opted for the HK upgrade on my S. As afro said, everything looks the same, bar the Harmon Karman bit on the speaker surrounds. As for quality, i can't really comment as I've never heard the standard system. However I will say the HK plays all my different styles of music load enough and has quite a punchy bass.

·
working at MINI Guildford
1,012 Posts
I was going to spec this for my new S, cos the speakers look cool and the people i know who have it say it's great sounding and has a lot more bass. But i think it's far to expensive so i think you'd be better off just upgrading your headunit and speakers, which is what im going to do :D

Lee

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks forthe replys guys. As you`ve said the main prob is finding 2 Minis with the stock speakers and HK speakers to hear the diff.

·
The Hartge Experience
1,032 Posts
I personally am gonna go aftermarket, i have been toying with the idea of the HK, but as i listen to trance, and alike, I like to listen to music loud and have a real bassy sound for a euphoric experience. One im worried a standard setup won't fufill my needs.

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
I've opted for HK.

Only had a quick play, but I can already say that it is a vast improvement over the standard speakers in my current Cooper. The speaker fronts look great.

Unlike the standard speakers in my Cooper, the HK setup does actually result in bass! :eek:

Collect my car for keeps on Wednesday so will take some CD's and give you a propper run down :D

·
Mini2 Regular
43 Posts
My 03 MC has the Harmon Kardon upgrade, and when I had to took it in for warranty work once, I had a courtesy car with standard stereo - and the sound was TERRIBLE. I wouldnt have another MINI without the HK speakers.
I think it would be nice to see a better range (or even a choice!), of head units, as the standard 03 MD unit doesnt support MDLP - and am not sure if the new ones are any better?

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
I've got the HK in my S and I can say I'm well pleased with it. I listen to lots of dancy stuff with plenty of bass and I don't even need the bass turned on full- there's enough oomph to feel it vibrating through your body if the music's loud enough :p. Only downside is the head unit isnt anything special looking, and I don't think the HK works with aftermarket head units so that might be worth taking into consideration...

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
I think having the same head unit is a good thing.

Mine will have the single CD (plays MP3) BOOST head unit. I think it looks good and inkeeps with the rest of the car (no neon flashing screens or different colours introduced). Also, it's probably a less-likely target for theft - and in a convertable that's no bad thing.

Still, it's all down to personal taste. Other head units are available as dealer fit (though if you're going for a different one you'd probably go elsewhere?), so the best place to start is probably the service desk if you've got questions about what works with what etc.

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
I've got the HK system. It's alrite but not loud enough and really poor with the windows open. I am annoyed that I can't change the head unit because it looks boring and having paid £100s for the system I don't want to have to change the whole thing just to change the head unit. However, it is much better than the boost we have in our other mini and if you can live with the standard HU then it's worth it.

J

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered my MCS with HK and CD Boost about a week ago without hearing what it sounded like. I managed to find a dealer with HK in their demonstrator car this weekend and went along with a few of my favourite CDs.

It sounds great playing rock/metal, I tried Evanescence, Fear Factory and Tenacious D and they all sounded pretty impressive. The Fear Factory disc was a data CD with all the albums as MP3 files and it played it fine. I love the way everything is discretely hidden, with only the logos on the front grilles to give it away. The head unit is the same as CD boost and i like that it looks subtle/boring, there's less chance of some idiot stealing it. You get a few more options/menus on the CD player with HK fitted, some clever sound fields and EQ modes. I think they work really well, and am glad i've ordered it.

Can't wait to pick it up now! (November :( )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
Iwan
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing