MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harmon Kardon system - worth it?

I will be getting a Cooper S when they are released in the US later this year and am definitely planning on getting the Harmon Kardon sound system.

Is there anyone on the list that has one or has used one? If so, do you reccomend it or would you just gett the cheapest system the Mini can be fitted with and upgrade it on your own?

I have XM satellite radio in my current vehicle, which I could move over if the US system doesn't offer it, but would prefer a better stereo than I have now.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then, another question if anybody has an answer.... assuming there's room to mount it, would it be a major pain to add an amplifier to the HK system? I have a fantastic 700w Soundstream amp that would really blow the mini's roof off, possibly literally.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Harman Kardon HiFi System
(should be available from March 2002)
65 13 0 029 635
£750 GBP

Dave

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
baldie said:
Harman Kardon HiFi System
(should be available from March 2002)
65 13 0 029 635
£750 GBP

Dave
The price to upgrade to the HK system in the US is a bit nicer - $550 (about £390).

·
Registered
113 Posts
MINI dealer.

Maybe cheaper if you get it fitted at the factory.

Dave

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still wondering if there would be any problems installing an external amplifier for use with the HK system. I have a nice Soundstream amp that I'll pull from my current car when I get the MINI and it would be a same to have it go to waste.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Does anyone know if the HK system comes with RCA inputs. Rather than a CD changer, I'd like to be able to hook up my iPod. Also, does the indash CD player support mp3 CDs?

I'll probably get the HK either way, and I've got over a year, before I need to know, but it'll drive me crazy until I know.

Cheers,
Brant

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BrantV said:
Does anyone know if the HK system comes with RCA inputs. Rather than a CD changer, I'd like to be able to hook up my iPod. Also, does the indash CD player support mp3 CDs?
Cheers,
Brant
This may not be of any help to you at all, but who knows....

I have both an Ipod and a Sony Plug-n-play XM satellite radio, the XM radio using an FM modulator to interface with the denon cd-player in my truck.

To play the Ipod I just unhook the audio from the XM radio and plug it into the ipod. works like a champ.

Doesn't answer your question, I know, but might be a way to workaround the problem. I'm sure one can buy a FM modulator meant for a cd-changer or something else and use it for any audio input they want, assuming the jacks match.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts