MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Whining....
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been looking at the various options for doing this and can't come to a sensible decision so thought I'd better ask in here and get more informed advice! :)

I have a Jan 04 Cooper S with the Boost CD, Harmon Kardon and CD Changer fitted. I want to connect up my iPod (80Gb Classic, 2Gb Nano Gen 1) in a fairly basic manner - I normally just set it to random play and let it get on with it so it can live in the glovebox.

I can probably live without the CD Changer once I have the iPod installed so one of my options is to go with an Alpine 9850 (iPod enabled) HU that I had in my previous MINI (No HK or changer in it). This would obviously need your HK enabler kit - would there be any problems in combining these 2 components? How much control do you have over the HK modes with the additional push button switch? In fact, would you consider the Alpine a better source that the Boost HU?

Also, what would be your recommended option for iPod enabling the Factory system whilst keeping the CD Changer?

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
(I created the HKenabler which Mikey sells)

The pushbutton can be pressed to step through modes, without a display you have to keep track of the mode yourself - some of the modes are very recognizable (eg: festival) so if you're not sure what mode you're on, just step till you recognize one.
Or simply press till you have a mode you like the sound of!
Pressing/holding the button can toggle driver mode on/off (holding even longer adjusts front/rear fade since the aftermarket HU fade is ineffective due to HK system design).

I like my Alpine 9857 sound quality; but if you don't care about displaying the iPod track info, using one of Mikeys Gateway iPod interfaces to stock HU might be a simpler way forward.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have the extremely excellent HK Enabler in my R53 with an Alpine IDAX001 headunit linked to my iPod. I have to say, as someone from an engineering background, the HK enabler is a thing of beauty. Built like a tank, and so so simple to use. If you have HK, ditch the poverty headunit that comes with it, keep the glorious sound, and use Ian's enabler, it's the way forward!

Next up on the shopping list is Ian's AWU circuit too :)

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Thanks Ian - missed this
As he says HK enabler with a decent stereo will give great ipod facilities but you loose the changer
If keeping the changer you could add aux in to your factory stereo NewMINIStuff.com
Then plug a lead from the headphone socket of the ipod into it - keeping the changer

Or again keeping the changer - fit an icelink lite - this charges the ipod & gives a better audio from the dock connector. ALl connectng through the AUX in on the stereo

OR bin the cd changer & fit a gateway 100

·
Whining....
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for all the info - I might give the basic Aux-in a go first - I've grown to like having the changer - if needs be I can always upgrade later to an Icelink and ditch the Changer I suppose.

I can use the Alpine in the Forty instead so it will save me having to buy another iPod compatible HU. :)

I'll get an order together now! ;) :D

·
Whining....
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, ordered late Thursday night and arrived Saturday morning - All fitted and working, many thanks for the great advice and service! :smile: :D

·
Totally Mental!
21,789 Posts
Look forward to seeing (and hearing) your setup Niall - the Dension unit I have isn't totally to my satisfaction - when I had it fitted to my/your DS S, there was a lot of hissing background noise, and this time, no hissing, but CD changer has stopped working :rolleyes:

Most likely operator error, so maybe I should bring a torx screwdriver with me today - give you something to do when we're all parked up...:eek::p;)

·
Nearly there
3,142 Posts
Niall not another idea. Wonder if the aftermarket would fix the low sound from the ipod with the Denson???

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi. I have recently purchased a HK enabler and I am a bit puzzled on how to fit it. Going into the back of my standard stereo there is a small white connecter block with the 3 white wires coming from the Harmon Kardon amp in my boot. Without this connecter block connected to anything there is no sound and there is no where on the HK enabler to plug it into. if I am going wrong here can you please tell me where and if there's a solution can you please help me out. many thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts