MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. My question is my mini has installed the HK sound system but i found out that the maximum volume will goes down so much automatically whenever i change the bass/treble setting. So what I can do is remain the bass/treble setting in the middle which provide the loudest sound for me but it actually pretty annoys me... I'm wondering if thats true and apply to everyone or only me...

Apart from that, I found out my fading is pretty bad as well. I'm wondering if the back speakers are quieter than the front one? It makes me feel like I got 4 speakers only instead of 8 of them...

Please help me to figure it out...thx so much.

·
owt else is just traffic
1,462 Posts
I haven't really noticed the volume goin' down when i pump up the bass but i know what you mean about the fader.The volume seems to all come from the front speakers a doesn't seem to be coming from the back very much.I presume its so you dont deafen your rear seat passengers.I will say i asked my daughter ,who is always in the back ,and she thinks its fine.If you stick it on spatial it seems to even the volume up but unfortunately i prefer either the 'electronic' or 'H/K' settings.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
ESTACY,
As others have said, your HK behaviour is normal ... the HK amp will reduce max volume if you increase bass or treble settings.

The fade issue is due to the rear speakers being more like woofers than full range - there is no mid/tweeter like there is on the front speakers. So as you fade to the rear you lose most of the high frequencies and the sound gets very "mushy".
The "surround" settings like Spatial will help a little because they try to emphasise high frequencies in the rear, but their success is limited by the design of the speaker.

My biggest complaint with HK when I got it is that the sound is "front biased" - people say this is the proper way to hear music because it is like a concert, but how many concerts have you been to where you sit 12" away from the speakers?
I don't agree with the "front biased" people, but I have got used to the HK system (after more than a year!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.