MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im just after purchasing a Mini Cooper S Works and have a few questions...

The Harmon Kardon Speaker in the drivers door seems to be a bit crackly and is cutting in and out so i think it needs replacing, is this a costly item and where would i go about getting one?

Also, i have heard thats you have to programe a code into the DVD sat nav in order to get it to play regular DVD's, is this true and if so where can i get that code? Im looking to up date the sat nav from 2004 mark 2 version, where is the best place to get the update?

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions! :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey Guys,

Im just after purchasing a Mini Cooper S Works and have a few questions...

The Harmon Kardon Speaker in the drivers door seems to be a bit crackly and is cutting in and out so i think it needs replacing, is this a costly item and where would i go about getting one?

No idea on this.

Also, i have heard thats you have to programe a code into the DVD sat nav in order to get it to play regular DVD's, is this true and if so where can i get that code? Im looking to up date the sat nav from 2004 mark 2 version, where is the best place to get the update?

You can not play DVD's on the sat nav without spending money on extra bits of stuff.
You can update the sat nav firmware which is free to do.... ( do a search) but you have to buy the latest DVD based map which is 2008-2.

Thanks in advance and sorry about all the questions! :)
Hope this helps

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Perm covered the bottom question and I hope I can help with the top.

The speakers that you are looking for are H/K specific and are 2 Ohm speakers. What this means is that a standard 4 Ohm speak will not work. You might try EBay or better yet, just buy one from the dealer. I have a feeling that it will be a bit pricey....

That being said, it is possible that the speaker is not the problem at all. In fact, you can test this by swapping the left and right out to see if the crackeling follows. If it doesn't, then it is the amp that is going and the price just got a little higher. Once again, maybe EBay, a junk yard or dealer is your best bet for these parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks DaFlake :)

Im pretty sure its only this speaker and not the amp as when the speaker is disconnected the sound in the others is crisp and clear with no crackling or vibrations. I did read on an internet guide that i came across here (i dont know if i did that right) that it may be water corrosion and i suspect that that is the case as i asked my brother to take a look at it and he did find water in the bottom of the door... I may have to buy a new speaker and add the protection as described in the 'how to'.

With regard to the sat nav, i still dont properly understand the story with it? :puzzled: Im usually good enough at that kind of stuff but i cant grab that for some reason...

What do you mean by free downloaded firmware (What does this get me) as opposed to DVD based maps? What extra parts do you need to have in order to play regular DVD's? I have done searches on the topic but anything i have found, im not able to follow the jargon thats quoted... :(

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I have seen channels on amp die, so it is still a possibility the amp is dying.

On the NAV bit, the firmware will get you the latest Operating system for the NAV. If you want video, you will need a converter that will allow video to be injected to the system. BMW makes one for about 1000 USD and there are a few others out there for the same price. There are no simple/cheap solutions to allow you to play DVD's via the NAV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its pretty safe to say i wont be playing DVDs in my mini so! ;)

I Will have to hope its not the amp, when the speaker was off its mounting, if you tapped the face of it it would cut in and out so im hoping the problem was at that end and not at the amp end. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cool: That looks smashing mikey :cool:

How much does the adaption cost and does it have to be fitted by yourselves?

It would be great if you could get me a price on that speaker too :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Infinity do some very, very good 2 ohm speakers that are far better than the stock HK ones. They are expensive but will mark a good improvement. I think it is their Kappa range.

As a point of interest, I believe Infinity is a HK company.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts