MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone got the Harmon Kardon speakers?

I know that it might be quite difficult to describe, but what do they sound like? Is it a very deep base sound, or more smooth? How do they compare to the standard speakers provided with the BOOST cd player? If I have ordered the High gloss Anthracite dash, does this mean the speakers will also be this colour?

Also, does anyone know if the standard CD player plays MP3 cds? I heard that they have recently updated the CD player - can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone have the boot CD changer? I am considering getting this, but I wonder whether once the novelty wears off if I'll never use it again.

Be grateful for any answers

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just picked up my mini today with HK, it is absolutely fantastic! I am a real music fan, it handles everything fantastically, classical to modern stuff, loads of volume but with rich smooth bass, it has tons of bass but you can always turn it down if you dont want it.
The CD player does play MP3's but I have yet to try it. The grills are silver just the same.

Hope that helps

CHRIS

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have HK and a Sony CD changer (see my gallery) which plays MP3's and feeds them to the head unit as normal audio. The novelty of that combination has never left me, and it's now 13 months on. ;)

HK is great. It's not silly boom box stuff, it's more subtle than that, but it is more than loud and powerful enough for me and it always makes any kind of music you throw at it sound fantastic. Very clear and very powerful. :)

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
There are numerous threads on this topic so have fun digging through all the good stuff. But as a personal opinion, if you love music, love to hear it well, and enjoy a top audio system, then the H/K is the way to go, hands down. Don't even think twice (unless you are going out-market). If you don't care much for how deep or solid or high the range on your music goes while you listen, just so long as you can hear it, stick with the Boost and save $$$.

·
Astro
295 Posts
its good for mid range, but it muffles the low base and can sometimes interfer with the music, it is good dont get me wrong, you will defo be impressed, im gonna add another amp and a sub, might not be everyones cup of tea, but then you have great tweaters, great mid range and great low range

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
I actually have not heard the H/K system, but am quite pleased with the stock Boost CD in my MC, and I am a bit of an audio nut, at least in the home, what with using a tube amplifier and all.
I'm sure the H/K will sound fine, but the question is whether it is worth the extra $$$ to you.
I have the anthracite dash and love it, but I believe the H/K speaker grilles/surrounds will still be silver.

·
Ecstatic new JCW owner!
2,013 Posts
If like me you listen to your music mostly in the car then Harmon Kardon is a must. When I hired a MC before I bought mine I didn't think much of the standard unit, there seemed to be very little surround-sound effect, it was like an 80s car with two speakers. With H/K you get volume, clarity, and nice shiny speakers! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts