MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so as the title goes, has anyone here replaced a convertible roof on their own?

My girlfriends gone and bought a used MINI One convertible and she wants a new roof canvas fitted as the current one isn't looking good to her. Her dad has managed to get her the canvas OEM part for free, but it comes with no instructions. She's wanting me and her dad to have a go at fitting it, to avoid the BMW labour charges! :D Does anyone have any advice or install guides on the easiest way to install this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not had the pleasure of doing this myself but mine is going to BMW soon for them to do and they need at least one day which suggests its a big job!

Sorry cant be more help but thought this would give you an idea of the task in hand!

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Not seen or heard of anyone doing this at home, but if you do make sure you document it with photos and share the information as I am sure that as the car ages more and more will want to follow in your footsteps;)

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The hood canvas is certainly a self fit item takes around 2 hours
tools needed -
1 x torx bit and driver
1x 8mm spanner
1 screwdriver
You start from the front and work backwards , I takes as long to write up ,as it does to do !
but basically the front is held in by plastic "teeth" -unclipped- then there is a rod that unclips from each side -then there is a long strip across that pulls out -then 2 cables that un clip either side ,all moving rearwards-then 2 x8 mm nuts either side on a plastic tab (over the rear window)
then 5 or 6 torx screws which are in the rear window rear channel and remove the insert which holds the canvas into the recess
by now the roof can be lifted back to 1/2 way
there are 2 springs that unclip from the other end of the cable that you unclipped previously
next undo the torx screws that retain the strips around the back of the car (lift roof for access)remove the trim strips and rear brake light and then remove 2 clips inside the rear wing (they slide off)
Now the whole canvas slides around the rear groove in one piece -and voila its off
refitting is the reverse starting by sliding the new roof around the rear -take care that the roof mechanism is up -as the window glass can catch and shatter ( bye bye new roof) this is the only point where 2 people are better than one and care is needed
Then simply work forward connect the heater wires ,side clips, refit springs,and inserts torx screws ,2x 8 mm nuts,rod .clip strip.and finally front teeth -and voila
Note the roof has to be moved in various open /close positions to get access to screws easilly ,and after fitting DO NOT USE THE MOTORS TO FULLY CLOSE always manually lock down the rear levers as it will take a couple of days for the new fabric to stretch into position and operating normally can overload the motors on the final closing point
The only parts swapped from the old roof are the thin bar and the cables which both push through pockets in the roof lining
It sounds harder than it is -on removing it is pretty obvious working rearwards where the roof cover is still attatched ,and once you have done one roof you are an instant expert !!

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Ok so as the title goes, has anyone here replaced a convertible roof on their own?

My girlfriends gone and bought a used MINI One convertible and she wants a new roof canvas fitted as the current one isn't looking good to her. Her dad has managed to get her the canvas OEM part for free, but it comes with no instructions. She's wanting me and her dad to have a go at fitting it, to avoid the BMW labour charges! :D Does anyone have any advice or install guides on the easiest way to install this?
So, WhiteNoiseMaker - have you attempted this exercise yet? If so, how did you get on? Any pix?

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi just fitted a second hand hood to my mini r52 rear window just destroyed itself sourced the material online lots of moving the roof back and forth but was all done in 5 hours highly recommend diy job saved over £900 will post a link for the instructions when I find them

·
Registered
1 Posts
The hood canvas is certainly a self fit item takes around 2 hours
tools needed -
1 x torx bit and driver
1x 8mm spanner
1 screwdriver
You start from the front and work backwards , I takes as long to write up ,as it does to do !
but basically the front is held in by plastic "teeth" -unclipped- then there is a rod that unclips from each side -then there is a long strip across that pulls out -then 2 cables that un clip either side ,all moving rearwards-then 2 x8 mm nuts either side on a plastic tab (over the rear window)
then 5 or 6 torx screws which are in the rear window rear channel and remove the insert which holds the canvas into the recess
by now the roof can be lifted back to 1/2 way
there are 2 springs that unclip from the other end of the cable that you unclipped previously
next undo the torx screws that retain the strips around the back of the car (lift roof for access)remove the trim strips and rear brake light and then remove 2 clips inside the rear wing (they slide off)
Now the whole canvas slides around the rear groove in one piece -and voila its off
refitting is the reverse starting by sliding the new roof around the rear -take care that the roof mechanism is up -as the window glass can catch and shatter ( bye bye new roof) this is the only point where 2 people are better than one and care is needed
Then simply work forward connect the heater wires ,side clips, refit springs,and inserts torx screws ,2x 8 mm nuts,rod .clip strip.and finally front teeth -and voila
Note the roof has to be moved in various open /close positions to get access to screws easilly ,and after fitting DO NOT USE THE MOTORS TO FULLY CLOSE always manually lock down the rear levers as it will take a couple of days for the new fabric to stretch into position and operating normally can overload the motors on the final closing point
The only parts swapped from the old roof are the thin bar and the cables which both push through pockets in the roof lining
It sounds harder than it is -on removing it is pretty obvious working rearwards where the roof cover is still attatched ,and once you have done one roof you are an instant expert !!

I just followed these directions and it really is this straightforward. It took me from 9 am til 3pm with a break for lunch. getting it positioned in the groove and holding the glass is the only time that my son had to give me a hand. You will spend most of your time making sure all the screws are back. It takes about 30 screws to be removed and replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just followed these directions and it really is this straightforward. It took me from 9 am til 3pm with a break for lunch. getting it positioned in the groove and holding the glass is the only time that my son had to give me a hand. You will spend most of your time making sure all the screws are back. It takes about 30 screws to be removed and replaced.
What Torx screw bit did you need?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone. Nice seeing all these comments. I have a cooper s 2004 convertible and my god I'm having trouble with it. It will NOT retract on the drivers side but will start to on the passengers side. Inwas told by a mechanic that it was the cable so i bought the sliding cable mechanism. When it was being changed over the guy noticed that the metal runner has also broken. So wjenninlooke online it will cost about £2500 so my thinking wa sto get a complete new roof as the fabric isnt looking it's best either. Any adv9fe is greatly welcome. Thanks

3 Posts
Hi everyone. Nice seeing all these comments. I have a cooper s 2004 convertible and my god I'm having trouble with it. It will NOT retract on the drivers side but will start to on the passengers side. Inwas told by a mechanic that it was the cable so i bought the sliding cable mechanism. When it was being changed over the guy noticed that the metal runner has also broken. So wjenninlooke online it will cost about £2500 so my thinking wa sto get a complete new roof as the fabric isnt looking it's best either. Any adv9fe is greatly welcome. Thanks
Yeah
You need to look on eBay for parts it’s a gold mine sourced my roof from there just look for the mechanism rather the roof or both of you need hope this helps 👍

3 Posts
Yeah
You need to look on eBay for parts it’s a gold mine sourced my roof from there just look for the mechanism rather the roof or both of you need hope this helps 👍

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanka for this link I have messaged a few different sellers. As I was looking at spares and repairs. The motor works fine on mine and I already ahve the sliding cable mechanism its the metal runner (when the roof comes up before it pulls back) has broken I cant even take pics to show you what I mean. As you can tell i dont really know how to explain it especially well lol.

3 Posts
Thanka for this link I have messaged a few different sellers. As I was looking at spares and repairs. The motor works fine on mine and I already ahve the sliding cable mechanism its the metal runner (when the roof comes up before it pulls back) has broken I cant even take pics to show you what I mean. As you can tell i dont really know how to explain it especially well lol.
Fitting any part to the roof is a serous pain best getting the whole thing I spent 5hours just fitting the roof canvas of thou find the part check you tube a guy on there has done a video on the cable reinstall and

1 - 13 of 13 Posts