MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the Pipercross Induction Kit for my Cooper and I should be receiving it any day now. But, I can't wait to test it, So if any of you has it could you tell me about it, how it reacted, hoe it sounds and all...:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fitted the Pipercross the other day and am loving it!!

Transforms the sound of the Mini into what it should have been. Not too loud tho'

I'll post a fitting guide ASAP (was a pain to fit as instructions were so bad)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Feels more 'eager' at the top. Seemed abit strangled past 5,000 rpm before.
Maybe a 'little' more responsive at low revs too.

You sound like you are going faster that's for sure!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it that hard?

Hi Hoganscrogan !

Is it really necessary to take out the whole air filter box? That's gonna make it harder to install and uninstall every time I take it to the service...By the way, how much HP have you gained, honestly? Have you felt the difference?

Hoganscrogan said:
Fitted the Pipercross the other day and am loving it!!

Transforms the sound of the Mini into what it should have been. Not too loud tho'

I'll post a fitting guide ASAP (was a pain to fit as instructions were so bad)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Corelone
Yes you have to remove the old airbox - only takes 5 minutes though, VERY easy once you have done it the first time. As for doing it for every service - well thats not exactly an everyday thing is it?! Once or twice a year at most I'd think. Anyway if you are looking at a new camshaft and a port polish I don't think you would need to bother removing the new airfilter!

Powerwise Idon't know how much it adds. Feels and sounds better and the original airbox is VERY restrictive (just take the top off and have a look).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Info Hoganscrogan !

Hoganscrogan said:
Corelone
Yes you have to remove the old airbox - only takes 5 minutes though, VERY easy once you have done it the first time. As for doing it for every service - well thats not exactly an everyday thing is it?! Once or twice a year at most I'd think. Anyway if you are looking at a new camshaft and a port polish I don't think you would need to bother removing the new airfilter!

Powerwise Idon't know how much it adds. Feels and sounds better and the original airbox is VERY restrictive (just take the top off and have a look).

·
Registered
232 Posts
How much does this kit cost and what does it consist of?

Also, any links etc. to retailers would be nice..

Cheers!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Talk about restrictive

To me - those photos show a very restrictive intake track. It looks like a 90 degree bend that the air needs to curve around to get into the engine.

I work for a Miata performance shop and we have sdesigned a few of these (for Miatas) and I would think that there is a better way to get more air in a direct line.

Don't get me wrong, it IS a very beatuiful kit and I am sure the sound is breathtaking, but if I get a chance to design one with our shop, I will make sure we do not use a bend like that - especially if the goal is to get more cooler air into that little engine.

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Re: Talk about restrictive

Der Blue Potato said:
To me - those photos show a very restrictive intake track. It looks like a 90 degree bend that the air needs to curve around to get into the engine.
I noticed that, I hope the K&N one isn't as angular when it is available...

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
Hoganscrogan said:
Please remember this is 1.6l mini me are talking about !! Kink or no kink I don't think you would feel the difference :)
I think you'd be surprised

·
Registered
232 Posts
Anyone got a picture of how the filter look like on the *inside*? Any ram stacks or stub-stacks in it?

Hoganscrogan: Have you ever tuned an original Mini?
You'd be supprised how much difference a filter, the ram-stacks inside it and the air-intake can make.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Hoganscrogan said:
Please remember this is 1.6l mini me are talking about !! Kink or no kink I don't think you would feel the difference :)
Trust me, you would :) :)
Had a K&N filter on my Fiesta, sound nicer & seemed to increase the power, plus it hardly, if even needs to be replaced :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
M2 Bapmaster
3,138 Posts
zoooooom said:

Its up 12BHP.but u don't get fancy badges or exhaust/keyring though.:D :D :D :D
Are you sure about this it seems like an awful lot from an induction kit. Was it put on a rolling road before adding the kit as the cooper is supposed to have more than the quoted 115bhp isn't it?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Air filter kits

We have now had one of these on the rollers, work very well when the car is cold, but not as good once the car has warmed up. Mini Mania are delevoping a true cold air intake, we should have samples through very shortly!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
marksminimotor said:

Are you sure about this it seems like an awful lot from an induction kit. Was it put on a rolling road before adding the kit as the cooper is supposed to have more than the quoted 115bhp isn't it?
This was a joke aimed at the works conversion but sadly it shot clean over your head.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts