MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..

Lots of Mini's seem to suffer with gearbox and clutch issues. Just wanted to know has anyone here got to around 75K or above miles without any problems with the clutch or gearbox ?

The reason I ask is that im probably buying a friends manual cooper which has nearly reached 50K miles soon, Its never had any issues so far with the clutch or gearbox. With the expense of these failures am I just worrying over something which may never happen ?? ITs a 2003 53 plate built in sep of 2003 so Im thinking it will be a midland gearbox.

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Clutch is about £700 i think. Mine was done under warranty though.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
I have a midland box Cooper too and touch wood I haven't had any problems yet:eek: Just coming up to 59K so I am thinking of saving a bit up for when the inevitable happens.

I have been told that 60K is the average and a few have got more so it really depends how the car has been used etc.

I'll wish you luck if you wish me some too :D:D

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm in a Cooper S 2003, 50k on the clock, and haven't had any issues *touch wood* and I don't think the previous owner has either.

·
Registered
988 Posts
How do you know which gearbox you had? And which one is the bad one, and which one is the good? Haha!

·
QQJ's Social Secretary
9,458 Posts
Age of the car. I'm sure someone here can say what year the Coopers were built with 6 speed Getrag gearboxes, like the Cooper S. (2007, I believe). We don't have Ones here, but I think they are the same as the Coopers.

Edit- Oh, and 5 speed, Midland, 6 speed Getrag. :D

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
r50 pre face lift = midland 5 speed box

r50 - post face lift and all convertible Cooper and ones = 5 speed Getrag box

All R56 Coopers = 6 speed Getrag box ;)

·
3 JWL
105 Posts
I've an R50, pre-facelift, with 140,000 miles on the clock. Needed:

102,687: Discs & pads
114,007: Exhaust (fitted Janspeed)
116,796: Exchange power steering pump
121,000: Oxygen sensor

no clutch or gearbox as yet!

·
Registered
208 Posts
My mini 1D hs 177,000miles on clock ,not even 3yrs old yet ! , Mini changed g'box at 75,000 , so I had them drop a new clutch . the g'box didnt need changing so thanks mini ! old clutch looked new ! hope to get 150,000-200,000 out ths clutch in the nxt 2yrs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi John, I have a 2002 cooper that has now been diagnosed as needing a new gearbox which Fairfield Mini have extimated will cost around £2400 and my mini has only done 59000 miles! I have just stopped crying!!!! This is the latest problem in a long line of problems I've has with my Cooper since buying it privately 11 months ago, including exhaust, airbag lights and wiring, passenger seat mechanisms etc etc including this latest repair (If I do it through Mini) the car's repairs and replacement parts, to date, stand me so far in in £3500 on top of the £9000 I paid for it last September : ( which I DID NOT expect to ever experience, the cars only has two lady owners, full BMW Service History and not a mark on it ..... traumatising, I am only now reading these forums and finding that there seem to be lots of problems with 2002 models onwards, my best advice to you (as much as you want yours frinds 2003 mini) - DON'T TOUCH IT : ( x

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
R52 Cooper S here - 6-speed Getrag box. Had a new clutch fitted somewhere in the first 4,000 miles as the clutch was faulty from new, and not had a problem with the gearbox or clutch since. And there's now 120,000 miles on the clock.

·
Always on Overboost
2,524 Posts
My 03 Cooper got to 63k with no mechanical problems at all, just had tyres, services and brake pads/disks.

Got an R56 MCS after that...

·
Where does that road go?
12,574 Posts
I'm in a Cooper S 2003, 50k on the clock, and haven't had any issues *touch wood* and I don't think the previous owner has either.
You have an S and therefore have the Getrag 6 speed box regardless of age. ;)

My 52 plate Cooper was still on its first gearbox at 55,000 miles when I sold it.

·
1950s Housewife
3,253 Posts
My 04 plate Cooper (with Getrag box) just had a gearbox replacement at about 59k. It started leaking oil everywhere. My old 02 plate CVT One had a new gearbox at around 26k. Thankfully I've had a warranty for both, saved me about £7.5k, and I'll keep on buying warranties because of that :)

·
JCW 210 apparently not!
516 Posts
Like to say yes but at 46k I need a new fly wheel so I will be replacing the clutch as I have the uneven ware problem JCW S

1 - 20 of 25 Posts