MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how 'bout it. What do you think of the unit? Is it worth $1,600? Do you actually use it?

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Spoolin' said:
So, how 'bout it. What do you think of the unit? Is it worth $1,600? Do you actually use it?
I don't think its made is way in to production MINIs yet, but it is supposed to be available very soon.

Looks like it may be one of the things we Americans will be beta testing for the rest of the world. :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Has anyone used the MINI Navigation unit?

BruceK said:

I don't think its made is way in to production MINIs yet, but it is supposed to be available very soon.

Looks like it may be one of the things we Americans will be beta testing for the rest of the world. :D
:rolleyes: Oh, great.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Navigation System Ruins Look of Dash

Square unit where the round speedo should be - it looks terrible.

Just a thought ...why not just hide your scruffy A-Z or road map in one of them handy nets on the back of your seat?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I suppose, I have a hard time finding my way out of a paper bag at times, though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Navigate your mind...

I dunno guys - I have actually taken a liking to the nav system - for the gadget factor that is. Whether is does some good - and has some cool tricks to justify the $1600 price, I'd be up for it. I gotta have the wood as well:

Official Picture of Mini Nav

It may be just me, but that nav setup looks very James Bond to me...ala DB5 or the Toyota with the similar nav gadget he had.

-Peter/Atlanta
Working on a plan...I hope.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a degree in Geography. I'll stick to a map.

Besides - I'm cheap (cheep)!

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
Re: Navigate your mind...

Der Blue Potato said:
...I gotta have the wood as well...
Peter, you may be the only person on this site who says he likes the wood. :eek: The general concensus seems to be very negative. But, to each his own....

You do know that only dinosaurs (no trees) died to make it, don't you?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Has anyone used the MINI Navigation unit?

BruceK said:

Will be available in oz around March 2002. Could be one way to get rid of the Central Tacho I suppose. Shame no one has come up with a round TFT screen yet. That at least would have been an improvement.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Navigation unit

What about the one in the extras brochure that is a standard DIN fit and is also a Radio/CD player . Has anyone ordered this or had it demonstrated. I would have thought this would be the prefered option as you get to keep the "Dinner Plate" Speedo!

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Not ordered yet! Mini Cooper Auto, Silver/Black, Chilli, Sunroof, air , other toys and perhaps Radio Sat Nav.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Navigation unit

My MINI me and me said:
What about the one in the extras brochure that is a standard DIN fit and is also a Radio/CD player . Has anyone ordered this or had it demonstrated. I would have thought this would be the prefered option as you get to keep the "Dinner Plate" Speedo!

Not ordered yet! Mini Cooper Auto, Silver/Black, Chilli, Sunroof, air , other toys and perhaps Radio Sat Nav.
Dinner plate tacho in our case

Attachments

·
MINIstry of Fun
1,561 Posts
Re: Re: Navigation unit

Basil said:

Dinner plate tacho in our case

Basil, the central tacho and steering wheel speedo suit me, but I wish that the speedo was a little larger, as I am not confident of being able to hold the speedo on 60, 80, 100.

The Victorian Revenue Collection Agency (known also as the Police) do not tolerate 62kph, and a small black line is all that separates me from unbridled pleasure, and a 6 month suspension.

:mad:

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Navigation unit

eltel said:

Basil, the central tacho and steering wheel speedo suit me, but I wish that the speedo was a little larger, as I am not confident of being able to hold the speedo on 60, 80, 100.

The Victorian Revenue Collection Agency (known also as the Police) do not tolerate 62kph, and a small black line is all that separates me from unbridled pleasure, and a 6 month suspension.

:mad:
Oh dear, going to get in trouble for being off topic, but...... make sure you specify the Multi Function Steering Wheel eltel, it comes with cruise control!!!.

Note also, that although the speedo is small, i'll bet you keep better track of your speed with it above the wheel than you would in the middle of the car. I have no problem at all with the central tacho in oz cars. None at all. Purists will hate me for saying so, but hey a lot of purists hate the new MINI anyway (isn't that right Brian :D )

PS. I am totering on the brink of 0 points too. Should get them all back just in time for my S, and then loose them all again in the space of a week!!!.......:D

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: Navigation System Ruins Look of Dash

ricardo said:

Just a thought ...why not just hide your scruffy A-Z or road map in one of them handy nets on the back of your seat?
Handy, but its too small to hold a road atlas. Anything A3 sized is to large to fit.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Navigation unit

My MINI me and me said:

Is there really one of these available through MINI. What an awesome alternative. Pics anyone? :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Boys,
As we haven't seen a factory order with Nav. yet, I had my own fitted:
Clarion....

It has a motorized pop-up TFT display that hides where the DIN radio unit went - great for keeping your nav. unit hidden when you're parked up... It looks like a normal radio when it's switched off... You also get to keep the tacho., and it is just about bearable when popped-up i.e. You can just about reach and make out all the dials.... Just the air con. button is totally hidden.

The Nav. unit itself is an additional DIN sized unit that lives under the boot carpet where the "mobility system" used to go.

AFAIKT: I believe the Clarion (rebadged as the Philips)is the BMW unit!

=================

There's a nice little Alpine DVD based unit which will allegedly be sub GBP2000, which is just a head unit, if you want more comprehensive navigation, a single CD for most/all of Europe, and one less unit in the boot.

Watch out - Most of the single disk units i've seen will EITHER navigate, OR play audio CDs, but not both at once.
All systems I have seen offer a boot-changer which solves this issue.
The only thing I don't like about my Clarion is the push-button volume control - If you buy the Philips or Alpine units, they appear to have a rotary volume dial.....
Also, the Clarion head unit detachable control panel rattles.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome info, thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Regards - Do I use my James-Bond style hidden gadget - A Q. I am regularly asked - I use it every day I drive the car!
Usually finding faster routes, more twisty routes, getting lost in the country, jumping jams etc.

If you are going to fit your own to replace the head unit, IMHO, I'd recommend going for the basic WAVE radio as it has a more standard connector than the BOOST radios.

The standard speakers are adequate, so I spent my money on the gadgets and not the speakers... Bit lacking in treble, and I may add a bass-bin at some point, but then I'll have no boot-space!

There

1 - 20 of 28 Posts