MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove the JCW today and like almost everyone who has driven this car so far the extra spec, soundtrack and grunt is absolutely bonkers and very very addictive.

But has BMW UK screwed up by offering the UK MINIfile only 4 very old colours :angry:

IMO I think this is a very big mistake.

4 SPECIAL JCW Colours I could understand but 4 bog standard MCS colours, 3 of which can be had on a MINI One, is plain daft and bloody annoying to me as my 2 personal desired choices are not on offer unless I emigrate:rolleyes:

Anyone else have a view and anyone about to order who reads this post what colour are you going for

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree the choice is poor. I am waiting for a CR/B (currently 13 days overdue at the dealer) but out of choice I would have had MY/B.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
The full color palette is offered in other markets like the US, so perhaps MINI UK will offer other colors eventually.

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
The reason for the limited colour pallete is the UK gets the JCW aerokit, and they haven't got enough available in all the different colour combos at the moment (it's also why there's no PDC option on the JCW cars, yet).

There's a better than even chance that they'll have the full range of colours available for 2009 (the brochure has all the colours in it, after all).

But yes, if the plan is to have the JCW available in *just* those four colours, it's daft. Most of the other hot hatch manufacturers that go with a limited range of colours for the top model seem to manage to make at least one of those colours exclusive to the hottest version of the car (although in Renault's case they charge an extra £1600 for it).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the limited colour pallete is the UK gets the JCW aerokit, and they haven't got enough available in all the different colour combos at the moment (it's also why there's no PDC option on the JCW cars, yet).

There's a better than even chance that they'll have the full range of colours available for 2009 (the brochure has all the colours in it, after all).
Sounds more like British Leyland thinking than BMW :hmph:

With all todays technology and big stick bashing I am sure BMW is more than capable of doing it beggers belief that there aerokit supplier can't paint the full range from launch date.

If BMW can do there zillion of miles hot & cold testing and refining over many months/years surely the aerokit in all colours would / should have been a doddle to do :aargh:

Part of the MINI sales pitch is how no two MINI's need be the same :biggrin: unless you limit the colours of course :angry:

Great car let down by poor colour choices IMO

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
They are offering the PDC now so they need 8 different combinations of aerokit in stock (4 colours, with and without PDC sensors). They have to be in stock because orders now have no lead time. Next year when there will be a wait for most people, there will be sufficient lead time to order in the required bumpers for say the following month.

Otherwise right now they would need to stock aero kits in 20 different combinations, in sufficient quantities not to delay any orders.

·
338 Posts
With all todays technology and big stick bashing I am sure BMW is more than capable of doing it beggers belief that there aerokit supplier can't paint the full range from launch date.

If BMW can do there zillion of miles hot & cold testing and refining over many months/years surely the aerokit in all colours would / should have been a doddle to do :aargh:

Part of the MINI sales pitch is how no two MINI's need be the same :biggrin: unless you limit the colours of course :angry:
Remember, this is from the same chaps who decided to add the JCW aerokit as an afterthought, and realised only *after* the model had been launched that they had no aerokit for the Clubman, forcing the JCW Clubman's launch back by 9 months.

And when I suggested sending a few Clubman cars down the track *this year*, without bodykit on for those of us that didn't care to wait, well, you can forget any thought of "individual cars being built to an individual's order"; no two MINIs need to be the same, but there's no way we're going to treat the Works Clubman buyers like individuals!

But the problem with teh JCW aerokit (as I understand it) is that it's supplied to the factory pre-painted; to offer the JCW cars wityh it on in all the colours means having the supplier provide LOTS of bumpers (some with PDC sensors, some without), and MINI don't expect to sell thousands of JCW cars in the UK.

·
Registered
82 Posts
According to modern mini magazine MINI will be offering the full colour pallete once production is up to full speed. But as viscountcharles said this probably wont be the case until 2009-2010. We will just have to wait and see. Plus with astro black getting dropped in december this year you would think they would replace it with another colour? Im hoping for laser blue.

·
Canned
13,888 Posts
... with astro black getting dropped in december this year you would think they would replace it with another colour? Im hoping for laser blue.
In December, Astro Black will be replaced by Midnight Black and Lightning Blue will be replaced by Horizon Blue.

·
FS58MBW
69 Posts
They are offering the PDC now so they need 8 different combinations of aerokit in stock (4 colours, with and without PDC sensors). They have to be in stock because orders now have no lead time. Next year when there will be a wait for most people, there will be sufficient lead time to order in the required bumpers for say the following month.

Otherwise right now they would need to stock aero kits in 20 different combinations, in sufficient quantities not to delay any orders.
That's interesting to know Rogan. Too late for me since my car has been in production for a week or two. :aargh: I certainly would have opted for the PDC if it had been available. Wonder if it will be available as an after-market add-on.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Test drove the JCW today and like almost everyone who has driven this car so far the extra spec, soundtrack and grunt is absolutely bonkers and very very addictive.

But has BMW UK screwed up by offering the UK MINIfile only 4 very old colours :angry:

IMO I think this is a very big mistake.

4 SPECIAL JCW Colours I could understand but 4 bog standard MCS colours, 3 of which can be had on a MINI One, is plain daft and bloody annoying to me as my 2 personal desired choices are not on offer unless I emigrate:rolleyes:

Anyone else have a view and anyone about to order who reads this post what colour are you going for
Totally agree! My husband wont have one as he hates all those four colours and thats all there is! We wanted a blue or maybe a better red shade but not until we can have a choice when spending the £26,000 our spec will cost, poor show.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't understand why the UK John cooper works brochure shows a full choice of 11 colors though. If this will only be available later on you'd have thought the current brochure would just show the 4 colours.

·
338 Posts
Actually, having the full colour pallette shown in the brochure is a pretty big hint that they plan to offer the full colour range in the UK in the not too distant future - otherwise, they'd just show the 4 available colours.

As to why not have a brochure with just the four colours because the launch range is limited, well, they won't want to be reprinting the brochures inside of the next 12 months, will they?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Would really like to have seen a couple of exclusive JCW Colours like PURE White & Outragious Orange for starters

1 - 15 of 15 Posts