MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few months I have noticed an increasing number of MINIs in my area, just last night coming home from work there was no less that 5 or 6 Minis on the one road, I flashed and waved at all of them but no return, Has the mini lost that " Oh, look theres a MINI" :confused:

I am still very happy with my car and wouldn't change for anything, but with BMW making so many of the car its getting very "common" and residual values are bound to be affected

whats your thoughts? :)

·
the DASH LIGHT king ? ;)
485 Posts
i think alot of new mini peeps dont read theyre suppliment about why people flash at them etc !

if the cars modded with stripes etc u normally get a wave of flash cuz they know the heritage etc while "normal" new minis u wont get anything , thats what ive noticed anyway :(

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I find it goes through cycles, sometimes I go out and you see plenty of people waving and smiling and you, and other days no-one pays the slightest bit of attention to you :(

I think as 2_Bar says, sometimes it can be Mod dependent, but then again, wheels excepted, mine looks pretty standard, and usually there are 4 nutters in the car waving at you if you come past us :D :D :p

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
I've waved at learner MINIs locally, not on the test route, and the instructors usually wave back. I would have thought that the type of person who buys a MINI would know about the culture and the heritage thing, and know what is happening when someone waves or flashes? Or is that just me being ignorant. I do think that some people are on a different planet when they are driving as well, and they wouldn't notice if a streaker ran out in front of them!

·
Registered
700 Posts
The farther you drive from the MINI dealers, the fewer MINI's one tends to see.

I live about 60 miles west of Richmond, where my dealer is located. There's another about 90 miles north near D.C. So, in the western part of the state one can drive practically all day and not see a MINI. I noticed this on a recent trip to Roanoke, about 125 miles SW of here.

So, if you want to be a MINI celebrity, go to isolated areas where there are no MINI dealers. You'll be the only MINI in sight!

·
Jay
737 Posts
I think people who bought the Minis to start with knew about the history and appeal of the old car, but now people just see them in the street and think "They look cool, I want one". They are common now (except S' and Convertibles) but with so many different cosmetic options you dont often see identical minis (unless you live in London, and see Foxtons Minis everyday!!)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Not as flagrant in my part of the US as it used to be, but they still look.
The other day, my four-year-old notified me that "people are looking at your MINI, Daddy", and I hadn't noticed at all.
They'll even talk to you occasionally if you ride around with your windows down:
"That thing move pretty good?"
"Oh, yeah."

·
MINI defector
13,698 Posts
That "MINI feeling" was lost in London years ago :(
They're such a common place now and when I did have a MINI it reached a stage when I was embaressed to be driving around in such a common car :eek: :eek:

The problem is that too many estate agents now have got them :rolleyes:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
It'll never lose that appeal in the Detroit-area, even with a dealership 10 minutes from my house. This is a city of domestic (e.g. Made in Korea, Badged in Detroit) autos and massive Appliances-on-Wheels. The BMW-made MINI will always stand for everything those junks are not: performance, quality engineering, and progressive thinking.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Cooper76 said:
It'll never lose that appeal in the Detroit-area, even with a dealership 10 minutes from my house. This is a city of domestic (e.g. Made in Korea, Badged in Detroit) autos and massive Appliances-on-Wheels. The BMW-made MINI will always stand for everything those junks are not: performance, quality engineering, and progressive thinking.
Nice to hear some truth spoken from a Detroit citizen. Seems like everyone I've ever met from Detroit is all about American crap. ;)

-mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
London, ah good old London where the people are so very rude. I know because i live here. Try and wave or flash at another Mini driver and all you get are funny suspicious looks or the finger, as for being courteous and letting another Mini driver in at a junction and expecting a thank you... yeah you guessed it not even a second look.
As for those damn Foxtons nah I won't even go there as I do not wany to lower the tone, lets just leave it at that as i don't want to rant all night, other drivers are jealous and will cut you up not give way, etc. So all in all pretty good fun driving in London on a daily basis.
ps on a good note the girls still like the Mini and still get the odd smile RESULT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts