MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the obvious difference that the roof has been chopped off ofcourse :p

Has anybody who now owns a ONE/Cooper/S convertible, owned the hatch version before the convertible? Im just Interested to know whether any person has found any differences in for eg, the performance or handling, if gone from a ONE hatchback to a ONE convertible etc..

·
Registered
93 Posts
My MCC is not yet run in, so have to be a little cautious, but it doesn't seem any slower than my 02 MC. Handling wise it is better, but then I've gone from 15" on the MC to 16" on the MCC. New gearbox is much better and new 3 spoke steering wheel makes a huge difference in my opinion (and I nearly didn't get it as I thought the dealer was just trying to make me pay even more!)

·
Now what have I done????
2,704 Posts
Hatch to Ragtop

I've gone from a 2001 One to a Cooper Cabrio, and I'm chuffed to bits. Of course, the rear visibility is APPALLING in the convertible with the roof up, and even down, the rollbars get in the way.

Back seat passengers take a buffeting with the top down, even with all the windows up

Handling, I'm aware of the additional scuttle shake/flex in the chassis, but it actually feels better than the old One. I think you need the extra poke of the Cooper engine tune - I think the One soft-top would feel a bit too sluggish off the line, but handling roundthe bends is still just great.

I agree about the new gearbox being better, but I'm experiencing a noted reluctance to get into revers sometimes, but admittedly I've only had the car a week....

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Well, I bought the girlfriend a MINI One hardtop in 2002, and got my MCC this year....

I haven't been allowed to drive hers much (I am getting my own back now by hogging the keys to mine), but I do think the dashboard plastics on mine look and feel of better quality than there are in her ONE. The new three piece dash in cool blue also I think helps to lift the quality feel....

I also much prefer the look and feel of the three spoke wheel over her two spoke! The seat tilt/slide function is 100% improved, in that it actually now works (hers never has properly)..........

The new centre console infront of the handbrake is a godsend, finally i have somwhere to store my MINI Mints and sunglasses!!

Also, the headlights seem much brighter.....

Other than that.........

No, no difference at all!!

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
dalboyne said:
I agree about the new gearbox being better, but I'm experiencing a noted reluctance to get into revers sometimes, but admittedly I've only had the car a week....
Getting into reverse is an art you will master......

If you go to select reverse and feel some resistance do'nt force it as it will crunch.....

Instead.... continue to apply light backward pressure on the stick, and slowly bring the clutch up.... it will pop straight into reverse....

Once you have done this a couple of times, it becomes second nature.....

Jon

·
Registered
131 Posts
Had a Cooper, currently got a MOC whilst my MCC gets new/fixed roof... :(
Anyway,
Would agree the gear change feels slicker.
I keep looking up to the clock and of course its in the centre dial now
Real time fuel consumption is new
Notice I have had to turn the bass up (from neutral position) to compensate for the loss of enclosure presumably
Other half complains about her hair being messed up a lot more

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all your comments, I found them very interesting.

I have booked a test drive for Monday to drive a MCC, so roll on Monday :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
I spent three days with a MOC (drove it 350 miles) and found it was very similar in performance to the MCC until you got to 3500 revs - the Cooper then has a bit more punch and the One doesn't, but overall, I was very impressed. Agree that the seats are a big improvement over the 02 version except that I can't seem to release the passenger seat to let rear passengers out from the centre lever - it's just for seat tilt that one is it?

·
Faster, Faster
105 Posts
Handling on my MCC is softer and more compliant than my 03 MC. I have 15" on at the moment but have 16" as well. hate 17" - much too hard.

Gearbox is better, but the ratios have changed - they are much closer so in top you're doing maybe 300 revs more for the same speed.

My MCC is now run in - 2000 miles so it's beginning to ease up but performance is not as good, certainly the additional weight. Getting about 10% less mpg as well - probably becuase the top is down an every opportunity, including motorway driving at night. Make sure you get a wind deflector for this! I'm sure top down has an effect on air flow as well.

Agree with someone above, new dash and centre concole is good as well.

I also find the easy load boot very practical. It means that I can sit my petrol powered lawnmower on the boot lid when its open, instead of before when I had to fold down seats and dismantle the handles to fit it in the hatch.

Would I go back to the hatch - not yet, but lets see how cold it gets in Winter first.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My two cents....

Traded up from 2003 Cooper to 2004 Cooper Conv.

Ride definately softer (SS+ not available on the Conv I believe) with some body roll in corners which was none existant on my old Cooper. :(

Minor 'scuttle shake' but nothing to worry about. :(

Seems keener to 'turn-in'. :)

I really haven't noticed any drop in performance. :)

My favourite improvement is the stereo. I may be dreaming but the new CD boost and H/K speakers seems much better than my old (and I thought identical apart from MP3 playback) CD Boost and H/K system. Much clearer, better clarity at high volume and the oft criticised front biased 'sound stage' of the old system seems to have disappeared. A much more 'surround sound' feeling to it now. :)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
274 Posts
.... I forgot to mention. One of the biggest differences between my old Cooper and the new one is that the roof comes off!!!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have noticed that the stereo, when the radio is on, suffers from a lot more interference when going under bridges or electricity pylons than my old hardtop did. Other than that it goes a lot better than the old one did and the OBC says that it is doing over 40 to the gallon! Will confirm if that is correct when I fill her up!

·
BarWeetGarNarWeetNinnyBon
2,598 Posts
minicabrio-uk said:
I also much prefer the look and feel of the three spoke wheel over her two spoke! The seat tilt/slide function is 100% improved, in that it actually now works (hers never has properly)..........
The seats have improved since 02 version on ALL MINIs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Kinster
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing