MINI Cooper Forum banner

head dash/ heater

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  stellablade 
#1 ·
Has anybody else got the annoyance of the top head dash creaking when the heater is turned on. it does my head in plastic expanding - why is this happening ????

#5 ·
Hello, I've been reading the forums here for ages and finally got round to registering!

Had my 'One' for about 6 weeks now and done 1500 miles. My dash creaks too. I've found a temporary fix is to turn the heater up full and direct the air to the screen demister. A 20 second blast keeps it creak free for a few minutes!;)

#7 ·
duhhhhhhhhhhh

It's simply physics people...

The plastic expands when you heat it up, hence the creeks...
You just learn to live with it...

#9 ·
Don't let them get away wiv it!

Go to your dealer and get them to fix it.

It's a new car so why put up with it.

You paid a premium for a premium product.

The more people who take their cars back the more BMW will do to sort the cars out.

If your dealer turns a blind eye keep phoning them and raise the issue with someone higher up - it works.

#10 ·
Well said Mooser!!!!!!:)

I received my car back from my dealers after they had it for a week to rectify a number fo faults, a creaking dash being one of them.

I went in half way through the week to get my sunglasses which I left in the car (didn't think I'd need them, but the UK weather never ceases to amaze) and my car was in about 20 pieces! :eek:

My dash now is competetly silent, unfortunaltey they have greased the entire under side of the dash and it's now slowly 'melting' down the interior trim, they also didn't mange to re-fit the dash properly so there is a huge gap, and have 'stuffed' a load of rubber inbetween the top of the steering wheel housing and the bottom of the rev counter, less then ideal I think. :(

The car also had a new ECU, sunroof, two new door locks, 2 fuel sender units, gearbox... the list goes on, bill was over £1600.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that these cars are made by BMW and I expect BMW build quality, which they (mine anyway) don't/doesn't seem to have. I have never heard a dash creak in that way so I can't accept that it's physics, it's just cheap materials. My £600 1984 Nova didn't creak so why should a new £15000 'BMW'?

Don't stand for it - tell your dealer, get it sorted, and don't accept grease as a solution.

There are a number of other electrical faults with mine now (presumably due to 'new' ECU) so I will be going back to my dealer this afternoon.

Before anyone says 'don't be such a killjoy, they are great cars..', I still beleive they are great cars, the chassis and driving experince is second to none. I park mine outside my busy office and nearly everyone who passes looks at it, 1 out of 10 still stop and look all around it (even though there are TOO many about - everyone else stop buying them!:):rolleyes: ). It's just a shame that BMW have cut corners where it counts and once they sort out the niggles (pulling to left, seats etc) they will be even better!

Jon

P.S. The seats were better in the Nova as well!

#11 ·
Another thread says BMW is not happy with the MINI and will be making some changes on the 2003 model, removing some features. I hope this means they are going to rip out that infernal electrical system and go with something more conventional, and reliable. The idea behind the MINI should not be "Personal luxury vehicle." It should be "Fun to drive, inexpensive to maintain, built to last."

#13 ·
JonE,

A creaking (popping?) dash is a niggle I wouldn't ask a dealer to fix. As you found, they're only going to pull your car apart and once thats happened ......... But your electrical problems sound similair to mine and are serious. Good luck getting them sorted - mines been back at the dealership since last Thursday and I've still not heard anything.

Could you keep us posted please.

#14 ·
A creaking (popping?) dash is a niggle I wouldn't ask a dealer to fix.
I have to agree with you there, every time my car has gone back to the dealer I have told them to look at it. It's had all the fittings renewed and tightened but it's still got vibrations and rattles. I drove a October Cooper and it didn't have any rattles, so maybe things at MINI quality control have got a bit better. Are there any owners of January/February build cars who have got the rattles?

#15 ·
Maybe I've been mis-understood, so apologies.

I knew they would pull the car apart, I expected them to do that so they could find what they were looking for. :) It was quite interesting to see.

It didn't go in specifically for a creaking dash, there was list of other faults, the dash being one of them. :(

If you aren't bothered by a noisey, 'cheap' sounding interior then cool, however I've never had/heard anything like it in any other car, so personally, I expect more. :)

I think you said it Mr Bill, 'built to last', if it's this bad after 5000 miles then I dread to think what it's like after 100,000. There is also a huge difference between 'luxury' and 'quality'. I would in no way describe the MINI as a 'luxury' vehicle (I would like to think I wont buy one of them until I'm retired!:)), but I would like to think (I'm sure everyone else would as well?) that it's a quality vehicle.

Expect more :)

Jon

#16 ·
P.S.

I dropped by my dealer and spoke with their Serveice Manager (a great bloke) who checked it over and has booked it in for three weeks time.

I'll keep you posted.

Jon

#20 ·
Creaking dash now 'A' pillar?

Mine had a really loud creaking from the glove box took it in and BMW fixed it now a few weeks on a new creaking noise has appeared. Took it back agiain they tell me it is the A pillar and needs new brackets? They have ordered them for me, get if fixed in a couple of weeks. The garage are really helpful but this is very dissapointing and a pain in having to take it in. Fingers crossed this does the trick, has anyone else had the brackets done in the A pillar. (they said it the bit next to the driver from the roof to the dash) :silver:

#21 ·
ChrissieB said:
Mine had a really loud creaking from the glove box took it in and BMW fixed it now a few weeks on a new creaking noise has appeared. Took it back agiain they tell me it is the A pillar and needs new brackets? They have ordered them for me, get if fixed in a couple of weeks. The garage are really helpful but this is very dissapointing and a pain in having to take it in. Fingers crossed this does the trick, has anyone else had the brackets done in the A pillar. (they said it the bit next to the driver from the roof to the dash) :silver:
I've noticed a very annoying creak/squeak from the A pillar on the driver side - only started after I had cracked windscreen replaced. It's worse when it's cold, but it never used to do it at all before the glass was replaced. :( I've quite a few other squeaks that are becoming more and more annoying so I'll be taking a trip to the dealers soon.

Let us know if the brackets solve the problem

#22 ·
The A pillar plastic panels in the MINI are rubbish. I don't know if they've been improved recently but mine are very flexy and give way too much if you push them.

ChrissieB said:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.