MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what connector the factory head unit has on it? It is the non HK audio system.

Love the car, hate the sound. Looking to updgrade with an amp but unsure how to connect into the head unit.

Also, is the head unit easy to get out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Unless you are an expert or working on cars is a hobby don't go looking for the head unit. Instead undo the four bolts of each front seat and tip them back. Now look for the connector for the under seat bass units. Two of the wires are the signal going into the base unit. At the base unit they connect to the bass speakers and to two wires leaving the bass unit for the door speakers. If I remember correctly the inner pair are signal in and the outer are signal out. Yes Mini feeds the full range signal to all it's speakers. Intercept the wires there and take them to an amp that accepts speaker signal input (or to Line Output Convertors). This only works if you have standard or visual boost options, if you have HK it is problematic and you'll need to wait for someone else to reply. Standard stereo you'll have a four inch full range speaker in each front door and 6.5" bass speakers. Visual boost you will have a four inch full range in all four doors and 8" bass speakers. The following percentages are illustrative only. In my opinion adding just an amp makes the sound 20% better, replacing just the speakers makes the sound 20% better but doing both makes the sound 100% better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Great tip as I would rather not touch the head unit. Any ideas where to tap into 12v? Do I need to go to the battery, and not sure if battery is in the front or back of the car? And the rem for switching on the amp?

I am thinking of getting either an axton a580dsp or a GLADEN Mosconi 130.4 DS, upgrading all of the speakers and ultimately adding a sub in the boot.

Any recommendation on the amp or speakers? The axton is adjustable via Bluetooth which I like.

Many thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I have never heard of Axton before so don't know if it is a quality product or not. It uses a 20amp fuse so take the feed from an unused feed in the fusebox. Any spare 20amp slot will do but I would be inclined to use a spare 30amp slot to be sure. Take this feed immediately to a 20amp fuse (this protects the car, the fuse on the unit only protects the unit itself). The GLADEN Mosconi is a quality product. It uses 2 40amp fuses. I would again be conservative and take the feed direct from the battery in this case. Don't forget to put a fuse as close to the battery as you can. I am using an Audison AP5.9 bit, there are also the AP4.9 bit and the AP8.9 bit. I have mine installed under the passenger seat there is plenty of room there as the Audison amps are small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts