MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
White Clubvan Man
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked, but I cant seem to find another thread that covers what I want to know. Sorry if I'm repeating something.

What is stopping me upgrading the stereo by fitting an aftermarket head unit in the passenger side of the dash that opens up? The bit for the cd changer that I havent got fitted, it looks to be standard din size.

I want to keep the buttons in the bottom of the speedo as they work the fuel computer, and I dont mind keeping the standard slot for the cd as a security feature if people look in through the window.;)

Surely I could keep the power going to the original stereo (for the computer), tap into the wires for power, ignition, earth etc, and just cut the speaker wires and connect them to the new head unit?

I havent taken the dash apart yet as I've only had the car a couple of weeks. Am I hoping that it is going to be easier than it really is?

·
Registered
92 Posts
This was one of my options when I got my setup done at Turner's in Sunderland. They said they'd had someone in to have it done before and it worked easily enough. So yes, it is possible and it has been done before.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
you need to speak with Mikey at NewMINIStuff.com he knows more about the wiring on this than anyone, and is currently developing a kit to fit it in the central column of the dash board ;)

·
White Clubvan Man
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looked on their site, but they didnt seem to have a kit for it. Guess I'll have to give them a ring tomorrow.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
Its not on his site yet, as I said its something he has in development at the moment;)

There is a thread on here though saying its on its way.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have now fitted 2 systems in the R56 changer box, and using the mfsw controls its easy to use as well!

Im sure Mikey will get you sorted.

·
White Clubvan Man
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a trial look at this today, took the dash apart to check out the plugs on the standard stuff. It seems the MINI end is the same plug that was used for the R53, just wired up differently:rolleyes: Just need to work out what wire is what, and I'm away;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts