MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi as anyone else had this problem my head light beam is very low so went to adjust it with the switch and nothing? checked all fuses but still nothing,:mad: i know it was working a few days before then just stopped.. just thought id check on here before goin to a garage.. thanks

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Switch? The only switch that I know of only flips the lights from left to right. There should be some screws to allowing adjusting. However, you need to let someone that knows how to aim them do it as you could make it difficult for other drivers to see.

Are these Xenons or regular?

·
Registered
195 Posts
no i think he means the dial?? right?? the one down and to the right of the steering wheel...has 2, 1 and 0 on it??? never heard of that go before, if the fuses r fine maybe the motors gone????

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
Ahh.... OK, then that is different. It could be a bad switch as well. This is when a multi meter comes in handy. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i got the same problem! it was fine until i did the gearbox last month. car was off the road and batt disconnected for about 6 weeks, i have a feeling this as something to do with it.

·
I can't get no sleep
868 Posts
Try this
If you have halogen headlamps fitted, you can sort the problem by opening the bonnet, switching your dip beam lights on, you need another person to operate the level switch and slaming the bonnet shut at the same time, (not to hard) , this will jolt the motors as the adjuster sticks, you should find them to be okay then, i know its a bit extreme but it does work okay

·
MINI & other ½ both whine
519 Posts
Yep, I'll second what "..Blackadder.." said, I was doing some pre MOT checks on a MINI yesterday and sure enough a dodgy headlamp motor, but this time opening & shutting the bonnet while another person twiddled the switch (halogen headlamps) didn't work :rolleyes:, however a good whack (obviously not too hard ;)) on the lamp while twiddling the switch did :D.

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts
There should be some screws to allowing adjusting. However, you need to let someone that knows how to aim them do it as you could make it difficult for other drivers to see.
I have regular headlights on my R50.

I drove to work at dusk, and stopped my car on level ground pointed at a brick wall. I managed to use a screwdriver to adjust my lights, and used the (very well laid) brickwork as a guide. Afterwards, my girlfriend drove her car with me following for several miles - reported no dazzling. Then we used roundabouts to drive past each other going in opposite directions a few times - also no dazzling. So I think I did ok with them. :D

The reason I needed them adjusted is because after my car went in for it's last oil service at the main dealer (under TLC) they also adjusted the headlights to point them virtually at the ground. They'd be absolutely fine for years before that and I absolutely know they adjusted them - it was blatantly obvious (it was that bad), not just me being paranoid. When I took it back to ask that they re-instate them to their previous position, they claimed never to have touched them as it's not part of an oil service (********!) and offered to align my headlights for a fee, or would I be interested in a new R56, as they have a better headlight system.

:aargh: It's all a con I tell you! Find a well-laid brick wall (nice and level) next to a level parking area, and align them yourself. ;) It's free, easy (even I could do it), and it at least gives you something interesting to do on an evening. :p Just make sure you check them afterwards with a driving partner in another car, etc... also: reversing, driving forwards, reversing again, etc... in a straight line facing the wall is a good way to check if they're pointed up too high. The further away you get from the wall, the cut-off for your beam should creep very slowly down the wall, rather than illuminating more of it. :D

All the best,
Andrew.

·
8,410 Posts
It's like happy days with the Fonz and the duke box lol, damn showing my age :eek:
Pssst... I think it's 'juke box' rather than 'duke box', isn't it? ;)

The Fonz was awesome. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have regular headlights on my R50.
.........When I took it back to ask that they re-instate them to their previous position, they claimed never to have touched them as it's not part of an oil service (********!) and offered to align my headlights for a fee, or would I be interested in a new R56, as they have a better headlight system.

:aargh: It's all a con I tell you! Find a well-laid brick wall (nice and level) next to a level parking area, and align them yourself. ;) It's free, easy (even I could do it), and it at least gives you something interesting to do on an evening. :p Just make sure you check them afterwards with a driving partner in another car, etc... also: reversing, driving forwards, reversing again, etc... in a straight line facing the wall is a good way to check if they're pointed up too high. The further away you get from the wall, the cut-off for your beam should creep very slowly down the wall, rather than illuminating more of it. :D

All the best,
Andrew.
this makes me sick. i am not a DIYer by choice, only by lack of honesty and ability in the automotive industry. trying to sell you a new model with better headlights??? whats with that!!!
translation: "we agree, the last car we sold you is flawed and poorly designed/made. how about you spend another fortune and do it all again???"

·
8,410 Posts
this makes me sick. i am not a DIYer by choice, only by lack of honesty and ability in the automotive industry. trying to sell you a new model with better headlights??? whats with that!!!
translation: "we agree, the last car we sold you is flawed and poorly designed/made. how about you spend another fortune and do it all again???"
Well, that was the line of thinking they were trying to convey. :rolleyes: I think the assumption is that the average customer will simply roll over and open his/her wallet/purse. :bad: In fact, there was nothing wrong with my headlight system at all - after I adjusted them myself to how they'd been prior to my TLC service, they were perfectly fine again. ;)

Fortunately, I was just in-tune enough with my car to have known with certainty that the settings had been changed - and determined enough to have them restored to how they were without parting with any cash to the people who had changed it in the first place. A big thanks to MINI2.com (and whoever the poster was) for the instructions on how to set it right again - unfortunately, I can't seem to find that helpful post at this precise moment. :eek: :p

Anyhoo... since all that happened, the dealership changed hands (replacing a lot of the managers) and it does seem markedly better under the new ownership. As with any official dealership, it's still pretty pricey, but I think the new owners have put a stop to the unsavoury tactics that were previously employed against their customers.

All the best,
Andrew.​

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone really know what causes this problem, another annoying Mini characteristic. In the past I have removed the headlight unit, removed the rubber cover and poked about inside with my hand. They then work for about six months, my conclusion was some sort of electical contact issues but it's clearly impossible to take them completely apart to investigate.

This is a MOT failure today as the aim is too low and I hadn't had time to get them working beforehand.

·
Mini Youngster
2,437 Posts
My left headlight used to do this!! I just hit the unit until it worked!!

had an MOT failure because of it and a near MOT failure because of it.

My headlights were aligned when one of them was stuck down, so they were level but if the headlight released it would have been too high.

MOT centre, headlights passed, car put up on ramps, headlight released lol! Very lucky.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts