MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
miniminymoe
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm loving my new cooper, going on 3 months, no rattles, noises, problems of any sort.

However, twice in the last 2 days I noticed my headlight beams go on, by themselves unless the car is haunted, after I turn off the ignition key.

Anyone ever hear of this ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Has this never happened before? Have you had any service recently?

Sounds like "follow me home lights," which are supposed to turn on when you turn off the car -- just briefly, though, so light up your walk to the door or something, and then they go off. But if they are programmed on, they would have been that way from the beginning.

Perhaps a glitch has activated them randomly?

·
miniminymoe
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep.

you are right. they were supposed to be programmed that way, but they never were, I guess. Had the car in for service- had them install the new armrest- and that's when it started.

Thanks for clearing that up- I forgot that feature was available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Follow home lights have to be initated manually after turning the ignition off.
1. turn ignition off
2. pull main beam control stick towards you
3. follow home lights come on for about 30secs
4. lights go off and shouldn't come on again

If after turning the ignition off you accidentally caught the light switch, this may have activated the follow home feature.

Also worth noting is that if you push the indicator stick down after switching off the ignition either your right or left side light and tail light will come on. This feature is handy if your car is parked on the roadside overnight.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
bradley_m said:
1. turn ignition off

If after turning the ignition off you accidentally caught the light switch, this may have activated the follow home feature.

Also worth noting is that if you push the indicator stick down after switching off the ignition either your right or left side light and tail light will come on. This feature is handy if your car is parked on the roadside overnight.
Depends on the model year, pre 2005 (July 2004) you leave the lights in the "on" position, then switch off the ignition and they will remain on for one of 3 or 4 preset time limits. You can still chose different time limits if you want.

·
miniminymoe
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bradley_m said:
1. turn ignition off

Thank you for the info.!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Paul Mullett said:
Depends on the model year, pre 2005 (July 2004) you leave the lights in the "on" position, then switch off the ignition and they will remain on for one of 3 or 4 preset time limits. You can still chose different time limits if you want.
Paul, this changed occurred starting with 9/03 production. My car is a 9/03 built MCS and I am definitely annoyed by the change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts