MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my 1st Mini and it’s a Cooper S Convertible on an 06 plate.
I’ve discovered that it’s a 1st Gen. It has no cd changer in the boot and the oem headunit ( not HK by the looks of it. Pic attached so am I right? ) doesn’t even have a 3.5mm aux socket. With this in mind I’m looking at upgrading to a Bluetooth unit.
Is it a straight forward swop or will I need extra cables etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
It has no cd changer in the boot and the oem headunit
I have the HK system in my 2005 R53.
Not sure all HKs had the boot 6 x CD Changer and, if yours did, someone has removed it. Steve Farman at The S Works in Tonbridge has one - my old one, which works fine. But read on.

Not HK by the looks of it. Pic attached so am I right?
You can't tell from the head unit. If it is HK, the door speaker has Harmon Kardon embossed in the surround - pic. And the HK amp is in the boot behind the right panel as you look in - pic.

Doesn’t even have a 3.5mm aux socket. With this in mind I’m looking at upgrading to a Bluetooth unit.
Is it a straight forward swop or will I need extra cables etc?
No Gen 1 Boost units had AUX, BT, USB. You can keep the standard head unit and still have AUX, USB, BT. There are two inexpensive units available, one with just AUX, USB, which I have or a slightly more expensive unit that adds BT and hands free. Albeit the functionality/ease of use won't be up there, they both work fine. They plug into the socket in the back of the standard Boost head unit that otherwise drives the boot 6 CD Changer. Which is why I now don't have it ...... and Steve Farman has! Removed to fit the AUX, USB unit.
Mine sits under the shelf, drivers side - pic.

USB SD AUX MP3 Player CD changer adapter for Mini Cooper R50 R52 R53 £39.50
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-USB-SD-AUX-MP3-Player-CD-changer-adapter-Mini-Cooper-R50-R52-R53/111532447212?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=2&asc=40656&meid=63fb5d28db5d407982cf4cd10b251bba&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&mehot=ag&sd=222343737556
Bluetooth handsfree A2DP MP3 CD changer adapter for Mini Cooper R50 52 53 £54.50
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Stereo-Bluetooth-handsfree-A2DP-MP3-CD-changer-adapter-Mini-Cooper-R50-52-53/111573253653?hash=item19fa48be15:g:ff8AAOSwymxVPx15

Or, as suggested, you can change the head unit to aftermarket with the relevant adaptor.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought the adapter kit as recommended.

Bought a Sony Bluetooth head unit.

Changed over and working in 20 mins.

Thanks guys ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Hudders
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing