MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
37 degrees and sunny yesterday. Drove with top and windows down and had a great time. Heated seats and heat from the front vents...everything was great.

What would be super great is if they came out with a heated gear shift knob. For those who are driving in the cold, you know what I mean. I tend to drive with my hand resting on the shifter, and if it was heated, that would just be the bees knees. :cool:

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
nah, just keep your hand there for a bit, it'll soon warm up. I have an alloy gear nob on my non-MINI, I personally love the cold to touch feel, makes it a bit special and different. You could also make use of one of those odd socks you're bound to have in a drawer!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
arbee said:
nah, just keep your hand there for a bit, it'll soon warm up. I have an alloy gear nob on my non-MINI, I personally love the cold to touch feel, makes it a bit special and different. You could also make use of one of those odd socks you're bound to have in a drawer!

I like the cool feel of the gear knob too, except when the top is down and it's 37 degrees. Then it would be nice to have a warm spot to rest your hand. :cool:

·
Registered
401 Posts
My question is, are people giving you funny looks driving in 37 degrees weather with your top down. Its starting to get between 40 and 50, and to cold for me. ;)

Howard

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah...

howardpm said:
My question is, are people giving you funny looks driving in 37 degrees weather with your top down. Its starting to get between 40 and 50, and to cold for me. ;)

Howard

Hell yah, they look, but with this car people ALWAYS look, no matter what the temp is...when I see people looking they are usually smiling and of course I smile back :)

Honestly, with the sun out and no wind, 37 degrees is not that bad...didn't even have a hat or gloves on...windows were down, seats heated, etc...

The key is to have a coat that you can zip up to cover your neck (fleece is good for this). With your neck protected, even cold weather is do-able. :cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
MadisonMini, you're making me so jealous :). My MCSC should be rolling of the ship any day now, so hopefully in about another week I'll be driving topless too. :D

Our first family outing will be to the Winter Lights at the local state park. I plan on having the top down, kids in a blanket in the back seat with hot chocolate for all.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I invested in a pair of leather driving gloves (30 quid from John Lewis for UK peeps) I I have the hood down whenever it is not raining............ and not got even got haeted seats!!!

I stick the hood down.......sunglasses.....and i grin and bear the winter...

·
Registered
295 Posts
MadisonMini said:
Hell yah, they look, but with this car people ALWAYS look, no matter what the temp is...when I see people looking they are usually smiling and of course I smile back :)

Honestly, with the sun out and no wind, 37 degrees is not that bad...didn't even have a hat or gloves on...windows were down, seats heated, etc...

The key is to have a coat that you can zip up to cover your neck (fleece is good for this). With your neck protected, even cold weather is do-able. :cool:
I would like to second what Madisonmini is saying. here in Upstae New York, this morning was a clear blue sky but 31 degrees F and I was fine with heated seats, the heater set to 'HI' and the fan set to blow full blast out of the vents, windows down (for some reason the backdraft is less with the windows down - I know it sounds counterintuitive but it works), no hat, no gloves but a fleece jacket which covers my neck and it is just magic hearing the pop-pop-pop of the exhaust........

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be Careful...

indimini said:
MadisonMini, you're making me so jealous :). My MCSC should be rolling of the ship any day now, so hopefully in about another week I'll be driving topless too. :D

Our first family outing will be to the Winter Lights at the local state park. I plan on having the top down, kids in a blanket in the back seat with hot chocolate for all.

Indimini,

You're gonna have a blast! How old are your kids? My kids are 5 and 3 (see their pic in my gallery) and the love driving in the back.

But what I can tell you is the backseat is BRUTAL in terms of wind and the cold. Maybe if your kids are older than can tough it out. But even when the weather here was in the 50's, my little guys made me put the top up immediately. I even made a special trip to Target to buy them stocking hats during that time and it still wasn't enough for them.

:cool:

·
Registered
514 Posts
My daughter is 12 and my son is 6. When my wife is at work, my daughter gets to ride up front, so it will mostly be my son who has to tough it out. I'm seriously looking at this kit to add built in seat heaters for the bottom cushions of the rear seats. (Sadly I don't think I can do the back of the seats because of the folding mechanism). The other option is the heated blanket. I do expect to have the top up when carrying the kids to and from school or activities in the winter, but may be able to get away using at least the sunroof. :)

·
bepmoc-er
265 Posts
lol, our (my wifes really) MOC isnt arriving til March and all the time in the cold evening UK weather I ask 'you would have the top down in this wouldn't you?' I am indeed gonna be one ofthose people who has the top down in anything short of a full on blizzard!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's actually a very good idea! If my snowmobile can have heated thumb warmers (yes, really, it does!), then someone can come up with a market or aftermarket speac for a heated shifter...

Though I am sure the safety folks could have a field day at the possibility of the shifter becoming scalding hot, thus increasing the chance for a major accident... dunno :)

... if you build it... they will sue.

-- Ian

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, my snowblower has heated hand grips, which are great.

A friend told me a long time ago that he had a heated steering wheel, which would also very awesome with the top down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
indimini said:
My daughter is 12 and my son is 6. When my wife is at work, my daughter gets to ride up front, so it will mostly be my son who has to tough it out. I'm seriously looking at this kit to add built in seat heaters for the bottom cushions of the rear seats. (Sadly I don't think I can do the back of the seats because of the folding mechanism). The other option is the heated blanket. I do expect to have the top up when carrying the kids to and from school or activities in the winter, but may be able to get away using at least the sunroof. :)
Indi, the heated blanket sounds like a good idea and better value for money than the universal seat warmers. The other benefit of the blanket is that you could plug it into the 12 volt power socket in the Boot of the convertible which would keep the cable out of sight - just bring it through at the side of the rear seats.

·
Only Unbalanced
924 Posts
howardpm said:

Howard
-5C. Funny looks, sure. Do I give a rats behind? Nah!

I did have the top UP twice since getting the car, but it was raining those days

d

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, if you're worried about people looking at you, then driving a Mini Convertible is not a wise choice :D

You can't get more conspicuous than driving this car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts