MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
...where´s the any-key?
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am not sure there is a problem but over the weekend snow hit parts of the north east. As such my car was covered with snow/ice on the windscreen. This had only happened on one previous occassion and that time as soon as hit the jets it cut through the ice like butter almost immediately. However, this time...nothing, again and again I tried but it took me ages to clear the windsreen.

How do these heated jets work? I assume the car needed to warm up first but it seemed to work perfectly well before hand.

Cheers

LMB:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
LMB said:
Now I am not sure there is a problem but over the weekend snow hit parts of the north east. As such my car was covered with snow/ice on the windscreen. This had only happened on one previous occassion and that time as soon as hit the jets it cut through the ice like butter almost immediately. However, this time...nothing, again and again I tried but it took me ages to clear the windsreen.

How do these heated jets work? I assume the car needed to warm up first but it seemed to work perfectly well before hand.
I went for the heated mirrors and jets option as well, but there isn't an easy way to confirm that the option is actually fitted and working, because both types of heater are supposed to function automatically, presumeably based on the outside temperature. I used to have manually switched heated mirrors on my old car, which was great for getting rid of mist as well as frost.

I assume the heated jets are electrically heated, but only while the engine is running or your battery would soon run down, so it will take a little while for the jets to thaw if it has been very cold.

Ian
 

·
Astronaut
Joined
·
572 Posts
The heat for the mirrors and jets is switched on when you turn your key.
Only the nozzles are heated so if there is very frosty, you will still have to wait a while for the entire pipe to defrost...
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
Re: Re: Heated Jets

iaa said:
I went for the heated mirrors and jets option as well, but there isn't an easy way to confirm that the option is actually fitted and working, because both types of heater are supposed to function automatically, presumeably based on the outside temperature.
They don't work automatically! You have to turn them on... They come on with the heated rear window!

You can tell they are working as the mirror is hot and the ice usually melts around the jets.

As to being useful. Only the mirrors are. The jets are no good if the water trying to spray through them is frozen..
 

·
Astronaut
Joined
·
572 Posts
They do work automatically, monsta.
They're switched on when you turn the ignition key... position 2 I think... They're not linked with the rear window heater AFAIK...
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
Red Cooper said:
They do work automatically, monsta.
They're switched on when you turn the ignition key... position 2 I think... They're not linked with the rear window heater AFAIK...
I'm afraid I disagree. Unless they have re-designed this option, they work with the heated rear window.

I turn my heated rear window on and the mirrors are hot when you touch them.. When it is frosty the jets melt the ice around them...

I use the heated mirrors when it is raining to keep them dry, this is done by turning on the heated rear screen...
 

·
Astronaut
Joined
·
572 Posts
Hmm! Interesting...
I just checked and it seems that our cars may have been wired differently... the heated mirrors/jets are on all the time on mine if you turn the key in the ignition - no link with the rear window heater.
I think the manual mentions this...
I wish there was a way to turn this feature off - I found that the heated mirrors can be a bit of a pain in the winter when driving on a wet motorway - they dry quickly leaving a white-ish layer of salt and mud, through which it's hard to see what's going on behind... you have to rely more on the central rear view mirror.
Then you notice that the rear wiper doesn't clean the whole arch it swipes, therefore you have to use more water to clear the rear window.
And then you realise that you only have 1.5 litres of liquid in the washer bottle... time to stop for a refill...
Aaaaarrggghhhhh!
The pleasures of owning a MINI!...
:D
:D
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,722 Posts
What do you expect for £40 quid :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
If you put enough screenwash in your water bottle, the pipes never freeze up. Even on the coldest mornings, my current car (Mazda) has no problems with the washers freezing up.

Combine that with the heated nozzles on the MINI, and you should have no problem!

Cheers

Dazza
Cooper S on order......
 

·
Addicted to Speed!!
Joined
·
4,865 Posts
monsta said:
I'm afraid I disagree. Unless they have re-designed this option, they work with the heated rear window.
Sorry Monsta, but they must have re-designed them then because my heated mirrors come on with the ignition! Always have. October car. ;)
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
R1 said:

Sorry Monsta, but they must have re-designed them then because my heated mirrors come on with the ignition! Always have. October car. ;)
Hmm. Lucky old me with a July build car then! I think I might have to test mine now to see whether it does both or just by the switch..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
R1 said:

Sorry Monsta, but they must have re-designed them then because my heated mirrors come on with the ignition! Always have. October car. ;)
Have just tried an experiment to confirm this on my October build ONE, using a thermocouple taped to the mirror surface.

Outside temp display = 8.5 C
Starting mirror temp = 9 C
Switch to position 2, temp starts to rise and reaches 32 C in five minutes. Started the engine and another 5 minutes later the temp reached 40 C, distinctly warm to the touch. Turning on the rear window heater at this point did not result in any sudden additional rise in temp - highest temp reached 43 C after another five minutes - couldn't be bothered to wait any longer.

A temperature this high must be designed to keep the mirrors dry even in the tropics!

Quotes from Car Handbook:

"Both mirrors are heated automatically when the ignition key is in position 2."

"The windscreen washer jets are heated automatically in ignition key position 2."
 

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
Joined
·
4,566 Posts
Well I had a little feel of my mirrors on the way to work this morning and they were warm to touch.

So it appears mine to heat up automatically.

But... I am certain that when you turn on the heated rear window, this switches the mirrors on too.

Also my dealer told me that is how they worked (I know that doesn't mean it is necessarily true)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,956 Posts
monsta said:
Well I had a little feel of my mirrors on the way to work this morning and they were warm to touch.

So it appears mine to heat up automatically.

But... I am certain that when you turn on the heated rear window, this switches the mirrors on too.

Also my dealer told me that is how they worked (I know that doesn't mean it is necessarily true)
Can someone explain to me the logic of the rear view heated mirrors coming on with the ignition key ?.

My old Astra (long may it remain in someone elses driveway) had heated mirrors and these came on with the rear demister, which makes logical sense.

I was going to take up this option with my S, as the one's in the Astra were an excellent safety feature, just seems a bit odd that they come on without asking you first!!.

:)
 

·
Astronaut
Joined
·
572 Posts
Basil said:


Can someone explain to me the logic of the rear view heated mirrors coming on with the ignition key ?.

:)
The logic would be that it saved £££... after all it only costs £40.

If I'd buy a new MINI I would not choose this option for sure... we dont get that many frosty days anyway...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top