MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi - newby here - i note that there was a thread on this a while back but was looking for some help please.

Based in Glasgow Scotland - we have a mini cooper S Reg 2007 (out or warranty).

We were out yesterday with my son (a photographer) and his partner (who is a model).

Having placed her sunglasses between the seats the the seat heater button was switched on accidently. Within seconds the front passenger heated seat started burning through the material of the seat and injuring her. There was a scorch mark in the fabric with smoke coming up through the burned hole.

Can you please inform me if this is a known defect?, if there is a product recall and although the vehicle is out of warranty this is clearly a serious safety issue - can you please advise - thanks Joe

any advice on how to deal with Mini would be helpful - thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
After 11 years it's more likely to be damage rather than a manufacturing fault.
Heater mats are just a heating element wired directly to 12volts (same as heated rear window) but with an inline temperature control unit (TCU) to regulate the temperature.
It is possible that could have failed but to get an instant reaction as you did, it's more likely damage to the mat from heavy or sharp objects.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
It is a known fault on the R50-56.

Not too many are recorded but they have happened!

Some people replace the seats and disconnect the heater element connector under the seat to prevent this reoccurring .

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have R53 and Volvo C30 with heated seats. Was told to NEVER kneel on them. Kills the mat. Probably what one of them did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts