MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
13,570 Posts
if wiring is checked and have power and a good earth return at the electrical plug for screen then it can only be the screen ie inside the screen very tiny thinner than a air wire runs through the middle laminate so would have a live side and a earth side to screen , bit like a light bulbs needs same,, the feed to it will be via body control module ie in board fuse box in car, would need to strip away plastics around the screen for it, would also question if car has ever had a new screen whether the fitted the correct one back in,, ie i had a alfa romeo 159 and screen got damaged and was heated with auto wipers nation wind screen done the job turned up and had wrong screen they said they could not get one in the country for 2 weeks so it was this screen of nothing,, ie no auto wipers or heat,, it took me 2 months of letters and finally got them to remove the new screen and fit the correct one,, ie they used i signed and excepted it in first place,, where the truth was i was forced to go down that road etc,,

· Registered
13,570 Posts
Aye screen as standard how do I check the earth?
one way is to run a wire from neg side of battery to the earth feed to screen if screen starts working you know,, i have a multimeter and check it with bleep as in neg black lead to best place neg side of battery the other end to the neg wire to screen if circuit is complete it should bleep or show a resistance reading if shows open circuit then get nothing and,, i would also so same test on the multi plug to the screen disconnect it put mulit meter across them ohms setting ie to bleep if bleeps then the heater is fine if dont then its broken inside,, link below for how to use muliti meter on ohms etc, for a guide, all principals are the same, good to disconnect battery when works with ohms

· Registered
13,570 Posts
also below link shows basic heated screen wiring and info might help, i believe the control relay from car switch is within the body control module this then might feed a bigger amps relay somewhere i would suspect, body control module relays are rubbish cant be replaced with out solder and and a lot of agro ie they are soldered between two circuit boards, hopefully wont be this at fault

· Registered
13,570 Posts
below shows heated screen info pics,

Attachments

· Registered
13,570 Posts
going by those pics heated screen relay is behind the glove box or within the side plastics,, as i suspected this is main high amps side of circuit that will be controlled by the body control module ie a light weight relay or electro switch as it is,, unfortunately electronics on these modern cars these days are a mine field i know i some times come across something that just fry's my head for a hour until just go back to process and start again,, and i've been doing it for past 35 years or more. as car makers are producing shit to stop any one working on it out side of their workshops

· Registered
13,570 Posts
How many relays and fuses should there be altogether?
i have some info like already given mini alter their cars through the years prob their way of keeping info in house and believe me they dont like sharing anything even when your in the trade, auto electrician is your best bet, dont know if your in uk or not if so then this guy is very good he can also clone or repair body control modules etc he's called dale PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 he's Lancaster area in uk, really dont want to use a main stealer for that sort of thing as if its bcm its big bucks as they can only program new ones,, where dale can program/clone secondhand ones

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have some info like already given mini alter their cars through the years prob their way of keeping info in house and believe me they dont like sharing anything even when your in the trade, auto electrician is your best bet, dont know if your in uk or not if so then this guy is very good he can also clone or repair body control modules etc he's called dale PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 he's Lancaster area in uk, really dont want to use a main stealer for that sort of thing as if its bcm its big bucks as they can only program new ones,, where dale can program/clone secondhand ones
Check this out

· Registered
13,570 Posts
the r56 onwards use the below link completely different item as bmw resigned the gen 2 onward to bmw tech rather than the old rover group designs
below link

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the r56 onwards use the below link completely different item as bmw resigned the gen 2 onward to bmw tech rather than the old rover group designs
below link
Mines 1st gen 2004 had the BCM out and it looks fine gotta be a broken wire somewhere auto electrican it is then ?

Attachments

· Registered
591 Posts
Have you actually tested it with frost? The screen does not physically feel hot to the touch when it is working. Unless there is frost to 'defrost' you will not notice it is on without testing the current.

· You gotta love the toys!!
249 Posts
Our R50 screen did not work. Turns out it was oxidation in the connectors each side of the screen. A little sanding and they now work fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.