MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heating in my Mini One has stopped working. I have done some investigation with my partner and so far, this is what we've found and I'm hoping someone might be able to help. A few of the things we've tried so far have come from posts we've read on this forum but still no permenant fix.

1. The car reaches temperature as normal, the needle sits in the middle of the temp gauge and doesn't take any longer then normal, approx 5mins from cold.

2. The car has the manual 3 dial heating controls. When driving, my partner was testing the heat control, and at some points, very briefly, hot air did come out, but after 10 seconds or so, it would go to luke warm. We put the heating dial back to cold, then few seconds later, back to hot. again, hot air for about 10seconds then back to luke warm. On a 3rd attempt, no hot air, just luke warm air.

3. A/C is OK, not as cold as it could be, but you can definitely feels its colder then normal cold air when heating dial is in the blue.

4. We've checked under the bonnet, checked the fuses and relays, reseated the relevant ones, no difference.

5. The only thing we've noticed that could be an issue is the coolant level, it's over an 1" above the max line and it's the same whether the engine is hot or cold. My partner located the bleed screw (if thats the correct name) on a pipe exiting the radiator. On first undoing this, there was quite a bit of air until fluid starting coming out. This didn't appear to make much difference to the heating so we tried bleeding the system again with the engine running. more air came out at first, then fluid. We tried the heating and it still does the hot for a few seconds then back to luke warm. Is there any ideal way to drain coolant? short of running the engine and letting it run out of the bleed pipe?

6. Occasionally after even a short journey, when I turn the engine off, the fan kicks in for about half a minute. This doesn't happen all the time and has only starting happening for just over a month now.

The whole heating issue has started since returning from a 3 week holiday, so the car was sat idle for 3 weeks, not sure if this would point to a cause?

If anyone has anything else we can try it would be appreciated. just spent £200 on a new exhaust so if i can avoid another trip to the garage then great.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
There is more than one bleed valve (3 on the One and Cooper) and Mini heaters are quite difficult to bleed of air but the heater matrix won't get hot enough until all the air is out.

There has also been at least one case on here where the cause was a blocked heater matrix and only a replacement fixed the problem.

More info on Mini cooling problems here:
Solving MINI Cooling Problems.......... - Forums

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I've taken a read through all the link provided and after looking at the car again tonight, think it might in fact be the water pump?

When looking at it tonight, the first test was seeing how warm the radiator was. The hose going into the left side was hot, the left side of radiator was warm. the right hand side of the radiator was cold. We unscrewed the left hand bleed pipe, some air came out then nothing. I did the same with the engine running, bit of air, then nothing. Yet when I tried this sunday, after the air, fluid started coming out. I screwed the bleed cap back in, left the engine running then after a minute, unscrewed the bleed cap, first air came out and then steam...still no fluid. I also tried loosening the bleed cap under the battery. First attempt, air and then fluid came out. Second attempt, just air then nothing, no steam, no fluid.

While i'm checking this, still not getting any hot air from the blower inside the car. Under the bonnet, i was monitoring the header tank with the anti-freeze in it and not seeing any movement at all? I think from looking at other forum posts we should see water being pumped around, correct?

If it does turn out to be a water pump, is this a job that can be done at home on ramps, or is it a garage only job?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
All the bleed valves should release fluid continuously if opened, once the air has been released.
The Haynes Mini manual from Halfords has the water pump and bleeding procedure whuich should be ok for a reasonable diy home mechanic, or you can maybe try a search on Mini2 for more details.
Diagram of water pump here:
RealOEM.com BMW R50 One 1.6i Waterpump - Thermostat

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Seriuos thread resurrection! From 2012.
What car do you have?
It will likely be:
Air in the system - needs bleeding
Heater matrix has become blocked- needs flushing or replacing
Unlikely to be the water pump - if it was, the car would be overheating

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seriuos thread resurrection! From 2012.
What car do you have?
It will likely be:
Air in the system - needs bleeding
Heater matrix has become blocked- needs flushing or replacing
Unlikely to be the water pump - if it was, the car would be overheating
Thanks for the clarification.

Here I am in 2020 and my (mine from brand new) mini is also not heating the cabin and windscreen after 18 years of being just fine.

I'll be outside soon looking for bleed screws, lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts