MINI Cooper Forum banner

Hella 200 Driving Lights and Cooper S

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  eddieboyII 
#1 ·
I have just bought the Hella Lights for my 2005 MCS, but the instructions only apply to the cooper and the one. Does anyone have any experience with connecting them to an MCS. It seems like the biggest difference is the connection to the battery which is now at the back rather than the front.

Thanks

#2 ·
As the MINI instructions cover both models, I don't think you'll find a big difference in installation. The power line can be routed to the main fuse box instead of going directly to the battery. If you pull the box cover you'll find a heavy lug at the back of the box where the main power cable attaches. This is an ideal spot to hook into.

#4 ·
tvheadhunter said:
I have just bought the Hella Lights for my 2005 MCS, but the instructions only apply to the cooper and the one. Does anyone have any experience with connecting them to an MCS. It seems like the biggest difference is the connection to the battery which is now at the back rather than the front.

Thanks
Hello

Did you ever have any success with this? I've just bought myself a pair. Bit worried they might not fit now! But where there's a will etc... :D

#6 ·
There is a hot lead on the S under the bonnet. From memory, about center compartment, towards the firewall. I think there is a plasticlid with a big + on it. You can hook right into that.

For a neg., find any bolt that goes to body metal.

The repair manual (sorry, pre-coffee, I forget the name. The BIG one) shows all the grounds, and if you ask your service tech he might print out a diagram for you too.

It took some doing, mostly to get it right, neat and convenient, but now that I am wired correctly, it was worth it. Having the dealer hook up to high beams on only sucked.

d

#7 ·
Hi, having read the instructions now and identified where the connections should go I though it would be plain sailing from now on.

However! I'm having real trouble getting the brackets to fit now. Firstly I can't get the supplied securing clip over the grill, it just won't fit over the metal of the bonnet and the plastic of the grill.

And secondly the supplied screws won't fit into the bracket without extreme force because the holes on the bracket are not threaded and the screws supplied are fairly low quality. I can probably fix this with a trip to the DIY store, but I not sure about the securing clips....any ideas!?!?! :(

#8 ·
here's some pics of my install, done by mikeythemini. when i played around with them at home i noticed the fixing bolts wouldn't fit into the little plates, they were both threaded but were a different size to the bolts

hope you can see what you need from these - if not let me know & i'll take some from a different angle tomorrow

#9 ·
Thanks Hat!

That's a really big help. I didn't think I'd ever get the supplied screws through the holes so I bought some smaller nuts & bolts yesterday which seem to fit fine. From the pictures it doesn't look like Mikey has used the clips either. I wonder if this is because the 2005 grill is different?

Frustratingly there isn't enough daylight for me to fit these until next weekend now but when I get round to it I'll either:

(a) Post some pics of my shiny new lights :cool:
or
(b) Be back here begging for help! :confused:

Super looking car BTW Hat! Mrs Cozzers is on at me now to order a PW/PW MINI!!

#11 ·
Hat

Do you know where your relay box for the lights is fitted? I've got everything else sorted now except for this.

The instructions say to put it in that bit in the top corner with the rubber seal around it (God, I'm so technical sometimes! :rolleyes: ) but there's just no room unless I put it in upside down with the connections pointing upwards and I guess exposing them like this is a bad idea.

Also, is your green wire spliced into the Near, or Offside headlight?

Grateful for your help :)

Thanks

PS Have got the lights fitted on in 'dummy mode' at the moment and they look fantastic, glad I didn't go for the OEM's :cool:

#12 ·
just been out to the carpark with the office digicam :D The first 2 pics show the relay mounted so the wires can pass through the same hole as the main headlight wiring. The 3rd pic shows the green wire spliced into the dirvers side headlight which is the one nearest to the relay.

#16 ·
mikeythemini said:
Hello peeps :)
I chop the clips down so they a single skin then push them between the metal & plastic. Nice & secure . I am sure there is no way of gettin the full clip in.
The relay is on an existing stud
Thanks for that. I chopped the clips in half too and used them on the top side of the grill. I don't know why they don't fit but perhaps it's the difference between the old and the new grill? Anyway, almost complete now!!

#17 ·
Right then...despite the snow and biting wind I thought I was making some good progress in finally wiring these lights up.

I ran the wires down to the relay and then spliced the green wire into the blue/yellow wire as per the Hella instructions. I then hooked up the red postive wire to the 'Batt' terminal (MCS) and found a suitable grounding point for the black negative wire. All looking good so far, so I connected the lamps for a quick test before finishing off. And lo and behold...NOTHING :mad: Not a flicker :(

So what did I do wrong?...Beat's me!

I have a few things to double check tomorrow, like making sure all the connections are secure but I'm running out of ideas after that, so if anyone can offer any tips then PLEASE do let me know.

Also, I am right in thinking that the black negative lead can connect to any part of the body in substitute of a negative battery connection, aren't I?

Thanks

#19 ·
DON'T PANIC!!! THE LIGHTS WENT LIVE 10 MINUTES AGO!!! :D :D

It was the splicing at fault. The splicing clip hadn't cut through the green wire hence no power. All fixed up now and looking great!!

I've taken a few 'work in progress' photos which I'll post up here when I'm back in work (and have nothing better to do ;) ) But in the meantime I'll be happy to share my 'knowledge' with anyone else who attempting a DIY install of these lights...If you are doing it yourself then don't be put off by this thread as it is actually quite easy :p

Plus, you could always ask Hat who's help has been invaluable, especially with useful hints like this...

Hat said:
you did put the bulbs in?

just asking.. :p

Thanks Hat :rolleyes: ;) :D

#23 ·
Hi All, new here. Have just started the waiting game. A tip a friend gave me when I began the restoration of my Lotus. Use Stainless steel fasteners. In no time the zinc will die and you will have nice rust stains on your wonderful Mini. While somewhat more costly, SS does look better... and stay that way. It's too bad aftermarket products won't spring for the few pennies extra it would cost to make brackets out of SS. Be aware SS is soft, so don't use the regular stuff for safety related items like suspension components. There are hardened SS fasteners such as that which is made by ARP for the critical locations.

Mike

#24 ·
I am installing a pair of these Hella FF200 driving lights also. I have everything nicely done with one problem. I have tried searching the forum for the solution with no luck.

How do I run the wires from the underside of the bonnet (hood) to the wiring block mounted in that cavity in the rear of the engine bay?

I have tried multiple ways but the wires always gets crimped when shutting the bonnet. The wires are too short to follow the factory wires that loop down into the fender cavity.

Anyone have a nice way of running these wires? Could you post a pic?
Thanks in advance.

#25 ·
SaratogaMini said:
I am installing a pair of these Hella FF200 driving lights also. I have everything nicely done with one problem. I have tried searching the forum for the solution with no luck.

How do I run the wires from the underside of the bonnet (hood) to the wiring block mounted in that cavity in the rear of the engine bay?

I have tried multiple ways but the wires always gets crimped when shutting the bonnet. The wires are too short to follow the factory wires that loop down into the fender cavity.

Anyone have a nice way of running these wires? Could you post a pic?
Thanks in advance.
Just taken a couple of pics, hope they help :smile:
I followed the path taken by the washer tubing for the xenons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.