MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm Lee and from the peak district, Wife wanted a mini last year, which we then sourced and had great fun with it. Alas this wasn't to last, It would seem the engine has low oil pressure and making a rumbling noise.
So, I'm shortly attempting a engine swap and was hoping to share and gather tips and info whilst I do this.

Onwards and upwards!

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm Lee and from the peak district, Wife wanted a mini last year, which we then sourced and had great fun with it. Alas this wasn't to last, It would seem the engine has low oil pressure and making a rumbling noise.
So, I'm shortly attempting a engine swap and was hoping to share and gather tips and info whilst I do this.

Onwards and upwards!
its finding a good used engine to stick in can be a mission low miles a must, might even be worth you refreshing it before dropping it in re-ring and stem seals and timing etc at least start off at a good point,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its finding a good used engine to stick in can be a mission low miles a must, might even be worth you refreshing it before dropping it in re-ring and stem seals and timing etc at least start off at a good point,
Cheers for that Mike, doner engine I'm collecting tomorrow has done 54k, comes with 90 day warranty too, don't suppose you have done a how to remove the engine by chance, it's the n47 diesel. Cheers

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
I'd repair that one, easy crank to remove, don't have to split the block like the petrol ones

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Nut Automotive exterior

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Cheers for that Mike, doner engine I'm collecting tomorrow has done 54k, comes with 90 day warranty too, don't suppose you have done a how to remove the engine by chance, it's the n47 diesel. Cheers
ha the missing info its n47 diesel as below exclusives input

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd repair that one, easy crank to remove, don't have to split the block like the petrol ones

View attachment 287366
Managed to drop on a low mileage with new timing chain on and 90-day warranty, unfortunately it was on an exchange basis to keep the warranty, have 14 days to decide if to keep the engine and for-go the warranty or send the old engine back! About to start swapping all the ancillaries over, any recommendations on a parts supplier for the gaskets/seals etc? Cheers

·
Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,516 Posts
internals I get OEM, externals I'd use factor OEM quality or OEM still, so Elring head gasket and bolts perhaps, stem seals, OEM O rings and filter housing seals etc, other bolts, factor clutch and flywheel which is Valeo on these, need a SACS/SATS clutch setter, and stubby aligner plus adjuster key tab if unaware, I'll use aftermarket bearings, but OEM rods, aftermarket valves,

let me know what you want for the engine perhaps if you don't send it, pretty poor holding it to ransom for warranty purposes isn't it? I wouldn't mind building a spare as I have for the N14's, chances are it's in the process of spinning bearings so may want rods and possibly a crank if beyond a grind, if the centre main is burnt it can trash the block journal and its scrap then, any main actually, crank will want checking if true probably too

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
internals I get OEM, externals I'd use factor OEM quality or OEM still, so Elring head gasket and bolts perhaps, stem seals, OEM O rings and filter housing seals etc, other bolts, factor clutch and flywheel which is Valeo on these, need a SACS/SATS clutch setter, and stubby aligner plus adjuster key tab if unaware, I'll use aftermarket bearings, but OEM rods, aftermarket valves,

let me know what you want for the engine perhaps if you don't send it, pretty poor holding it to ransom for warranty purposes isn't it? I wouldn't mind building a spare as I have for the N14's, chances are it's in the process of spinning bearings so may want rods and possibly a crank if beyond a grind, if the centre main is burnt it can trash the block journal and its scrap then, any main actually, crank will want checking if true probably too
Will do and thanks for the info, any links on the adjuster key tab, never heard of it! Cheers

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Will do and thanks for the info, any links on the adjuster key tab, never heard of it! Cheers
you could make one probably, it sticks in the clutch cover adjuster mech/ratchet to disengage the pawl, tiny thing, like a large sim card tool I guess:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you could make one probably, it sticks in the clutch cover adjuster mech/ratchet to disengage the pawl, tiny thing, like a large sim card tool I guess:ROFLMAO:
Hi again, wondering if I can pick your knowledge! swapped out all the ancillaries to the new block, fitted dmf and clutch, though did it without the sac tool you mentioned, fitted gearbox but last couple of mill seemed to bind, now engine will not turn, seems to be jammed, I'm sure I put the plate in correctly, could the fact I didn't use the sac tool be the reason its jammed up, going to whip the engine and box back out tomorrow as the front end is still off so easier to do. also do you have a link for the sac tool by chance? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Reactions: DaryleMN
1 - 14 of 14 Posts