MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
It'll be here soon!!!
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! My name is Stacey, I'm new to the forum, and I am obsessed with the MINI. Isn't everybody here? I do not yet have a MINI, but I am dying for one. I'm hoping to find a lot of advice from you pros out here, and also hoping to find some fellow Detroiters. One of my first questions for all of you is where you drive your car. Right now most of my driving is highway, I drive about 40 minutes each way to and from work. Do any of you drive your MINIs that hard on the highway? Am I silly to think that's an issue, or is it one? I also want to know what the whole routine is with ordering a custom MINI, because I'm pretty sure I want to do that. I hope to hear from some of you and to get to know you people. I'm excited about joining the world of MINI drivers! :green:

·
In my perfect MINI world
371 Posts
Allow me to be the first to welcome you to MINI2! I just picked up my MCS last thursday. This place WILL fuel your obsession.

"Speccing" a MINI was easy for me. I went wild on MINIUSA.com in the configurator, printed the specifications for Pigwidgeon (my unique MINI) and brought the print-out to the dealer. Two VERY long months later I have the best little car I have ever driven.

My commute is 40 miles each way each day. It is split evenly between highway and two-lane roadway. On my second tank of gas I am already over 30 MPG (according to the on-board computer).

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome

Hi Stacey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of MINI (and their owners :) ). Regarding highway driving, for the first two years I had mine, I drove about the same distance as you are on highways in the Washington DC metro area. (From Maryland to Virginia and back every day). I found the car to be a perfectly solid highway cruiser. Despite the car's small dimensions, it feels much bigger and more solid on the road than any econobox ever will.

An added advantage of the MINI is that it seems drivers are much more courteous than when we're driving the family minivan. I've never had anybody block my entry to roads or give me dirty looks (or an unfriendly salute).

That said, one thing to consider is that the "S" has more power for emergency passing. I can't speak to the 05 MC's perfromance since they've reworked the gear ratios but my 02 MC sometimes required a bit of planning during lane changes at highway speeds.

I've just ordered an S convertible to replace my MC. I'll miss her, but can't justify keeping both. The first step in the ordering process is playing at the MiniUSA website to build your dream car. From there, contact your local dealer. I don't know how many dealers there are in your area so that may be easy. Also, on this site there is great feedback on dealer experiences in the forums. Once you have your spec, provide that to the dealer with a down payment and they'll place the order. You can use the MINI owner's lounge site to track the progress of your new car.

Hope that helps --

1 - 4 of 4 Posts