MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello

just joined the forum after reading it for past few weeks while i decide on the final spec for my mcs...which i knew i had to get after the test drive. bit over the budget i was originally intending to spend but hopefully i wont regret it!

here's the spec im going for, not loads of options chosen but enough for me!

cooper s
lightning blue
chilli pack
auto air-con
white roof, white bonnet stripes and white crown spokes
pacific blue upholstery
pacific blue colour line
piano black trim
chrome line exterior
chrome line interior
tlc

not totally sure about the tlc though - i only do about 4-5k miles a year so reading about the service intervals on these i probably wouldnt even get to the second service within the time limit. all id get would be the first oil change and the brake fluid change. suppose it would still cost more than the tlc even for that tho - just annoying to miss out on the 2nd inspection where it looks like they do a little more than just change the oil!

but anyway, should be ordering later this week and although too late for a 1st september delivery apparently should still get it in 2nd half of sept, so pleasantly surprised with such a short waiting time!!

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Welcome to MINI2 :D

TLC really is a must. Remember the 5k a year is what you do now - I predict you will clock a bit more in the MINI just because you will love driving it so much. Don't know how much a standard oil change service is but it's worth it just for the inspection 1 alone. I was quoted £462 for a 2nd inspection alone so I would think the 1 is around the same price :eek:

Paul

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, yea thats true i guess my mileage may change so for peace of mind it has to be worth it..sounds like it will more than cover even the brake fluid and 1st inspection anyway!!!

i wasnt intending to spend more than about £15-16k originally but all the other cars i drove felt a bit lame after the mcs...which is great as im now getting one, just not so great for my bank balance hey ho!

but the low tax and fairly decent fuel economy, coupled with the warranty, breakdown cover and servicing at least compensate a little - says me trying to apply logic to something which im sure most owners would agree is not really a logical purchase :)

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Actually it's all very logical - especially when you factor in all the high residuals - your MCS will be worth more than any other of the cars you test drove in 3 years time so it's swings and roundabouts.

Just noticed you are in Glos so not far from me - and the club I set up covers your area ;) We have monthly pub meets - often in Glos - in fact there is one on Sat between Cirencester and Tetbury if your interested?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea im in cheltenham paul, so will definitely come to one of the meets once ive got the car - sounds good.

i did consider the mfsw rakey but i dont use stereos much in my cars and wont be on motorways hardly at all for the cc....also, for me i just preferred the look of the wheel without all the buttons on it - i have to say it reminded me so much of my playstation as well!! so i'll get by ok without that :)

i hope the alarm is ok and not the sort that goes off by itself at the slightest bit of breeze or touch? havent had a car with a fitted alarm before so not too sure about how good or bad the mcs one is?

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
see here and sign up for our events and pub meets ;)

On the whole the MINI alarm is great - although you do hear of the odd rouge one :eek: It's basically a cat 1 alarm so one of the best :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the whole the MINI alarm is great - although you do hear of the odd rouge one :eek: It's basically a cat 1 alarm so one of the best :)

thanks for link about meets..and thats good to know about the alarm.

does it switch off after a while if it goes off by accident? cos i leave my car in big work car park and wouldnt even know if it went off by accident and wouldnt want it going off all day and running the battery out? sorry if stupid question but i got zero experience of car alarms!

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
yes, it would go off for a while then stop - when you un-arm it the yellow indicator light would flash continuously for a few seconds to let you know it has been set off.

·
Registered
22,101 Posts
Also you can unset the motion sensor on the inside of the car if strong winds keep setting it off - or if you leave dogs or children inside while you pay for fuel etc. This should also be used on ferries etc as a long crossing with the alarm going off because of the movement of the sea can flatten the battery - I have seen BMW's do that - but because we all know how to set our alarms properly we all just started up and zoomed off :D

·
settling in nicely
246 Posts
whilst you might not be bothered about TLC, it's one of the things dealers are quite flexible on when you buy... so push to get it added for free. then it doesn't matter if it's "not worth it for only one service".

My problem was the other end of the spectrum, too many motorway miles and with the conditional servicnig it pushes the service intervals way out to 17k miles or more on the dooper, with the second service being beyond the 50k miles mark. but i got it free so it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
MFSW is excellent...LSD is great for teh money and helps get power down exiting wet corners / roundabouts...

Personally I would find one a year old and save about £4-5K.... in hind sight I would not have bought new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea ive always previously bought cars about a year to 18months old...but just really fancy a brand new one for the first time.

although maybe it is something i should think about here, as a 1yr old mcs would take me back within my original planned expenditure....although i have been offered a very generous discount on my brand new package so its not quite such a difference in price to used.

gonna have to spend a few days thinking this over i think, it is a lot of money to save - then again, in the current economic climate i should probably hold off the purchase altogether for a year or so!!! :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I know I have a June 07 MCS...lots of extras,...total I think I have spent £22k....and I would be very lucky to seel it for £17k...£16k is more realistic....a massive drop in one year. Dealer would offer somewhere closer to £15k in a trade in....

...not saying that it is not great getting a new car...but it is a lot of money to loose in 1 year...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well, despite some serious misgivings about the reliability of the mcs i loved the car so much that ive gone ahead and taken the plunge - order put in today, should be ready to collect last week of september - got a 5% discount on final price, so fairly happy with that - worked out at almost a grand in savings.

spec as in the first post of the thread.

looking forward to finally owning my first mini :)

·
DS/B Cooper Works
179 Posts
well, despite some serious misgivings about the reliability of the mcs i loved the car so much that ive gone ahead and taken the plunge - order put in today, should be ready to collect last week of september - got a 5% discount on final price, so fairly happy with that - worked out at almost a grand in savings.

spec as in the first post of the thread.

looking forward to finally owning my first mini :)
Well done on that order. All that is left now is the wait and it will never go quick enough......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scrapped the mcs order in the end (got my deposit back) and got myself a brand new lotus elise instead - lot more individual, and a lot less ubiquitous than mini's these days were the main things that swung it for me in the end... along with wanting a lotus since i was a kid!

a hard life, making such choices :)

picked it up on friday and it's lush, acceleration and grip is frightening - i thought the mcs was fast, but wow does this little thing shift!

*will put a few pics up when the weather (if?!) gets better*

·
SimonSJR
263 Posts
Congrats! I'd love a Lotus Elise or Exige, I just feel for work and the such it would be impractical in the long run...

DRIVE CAREFUL in you plastic missile :p !!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts