MINI Cooper Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
winter

Kiitos, I know it's still August but the weather's been miserable (again).

I'm a long term resident (married to a Finn) and have been happily driving various mostly front wheel drive cars since 2000 without studs - I don't like the road noise - but given the extra power of the MCS, I suppose that studded tyres are the right choice?

The guys at Vianor suggest the Nokian HKP5 on 16's. Not a big deal, just wondering what you're running. In the meantime, the wet-weather grip on the OEM Pirelli Euphoria runflats seems a bit inconsistent.

I'll try and find some nice roads, get some decent pictures to post!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hei tcbw, at least with a rainy August you'll have a lot of mushrooms and berries to pick!! :biggrin:
Go to Punkaharju, I always liked the scenary there, great for pics. :biggrin:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here are a couple of pics of our Hilla - a 2009 JCW!
L1030635.jpg

L1030637.jpg
I'll try to get some better pics to post later! :biggrin:

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
Kiitos sikamini, I'd better stick that in my TomTom.
I'll wait for a nice day so that I can post some pictures of a clean car, even with DS/B colour scheme, it's pretty grubby right now after all this rain :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well we survived hurricane Ike. Houston is a mess, but the coast and Galveston are even worse. We were 8 days without power, I hope there is a lesson to learn from this. There is still over 30 percent of the Houston area without power, maybe they'll figure out you need to put utilities underground to minimize damage during this kind of event.

PS Hilla is fine with no damage from Ike! :biggrin:

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
I've ordered some Nokia HPL5 kitkarenkaat on 16" five-spoked alloys from Vianor (1000e all in); given the power, I reckon studs make sense, but since these are NRF, I'd need a pump and can of sealant; any ideas?

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
and another thing: is there a decent place in the Helsinki area which can fix a badly kerbed alloy wheel?

·
UJOC no. GB067
270 Posts
Toni,
You were right, the studs - even on the latest generation NHPL5 - are harsh and noisy, but the car does ride better and feel a lot more pointy on the narrower tyres!
Seems that the 17's with run flats are simply too big for the car...
TCBW

21 - 28 of 28 Posts