MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 MCS Manual 6 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll keep this as short and sweet as possible.

I recently purchased a used 2006 MCS (R53) with the knowledge that the keyfob wasn't working. (It uses the old mechanical key I'll attach an image below) For a day the car started right up with no issues. I decided to try and replace the key battery in an attempt to fix the broken keyfob. I didn't do my research beforehand, this was my mistake. Since my attempt to fix the fob my car won't even crank. When I turn the key nothing happens. Here's the catch, all the electronics in the car. Headlights, radio, AC, etc... I even tested the battery and it's perfect (also it's a month old) Additionally, the ignition locks after I try to start it (meaning I can't turn the key all the way twice unless I pull the key out and try again). I believe all this is happening due to it being put into anti-theft mode when I changed the battery. How do I get it out of anti-theft mode/any tests I can do to confirm it's really in anti-theft mode?

I assume I need a new key from MINI, but is there any chance I can still fix the issue with my current key? Any help is appreciated and I'll answer any additional questions.

Mechanical Key Example:
Wood Sports equipment Circle Fashion accessory Audio equipment

·
Registered
2004 Mini Cooper R50 Chili Red, Midlands 5 speed manual
426 Posts
Hope you still have your old case, if you replaced it.

Tucked away in the corner of the case is a tiny RFID chip. It looks like a bit of plastic debris, there’s no wires going to it or anything.

It either fell out when you opened your fob, or is still in the old case when you replaced the case.

The chip is roughly half the size of your fingernail, not quite rectangular, black, no external pins or leads.

If you find it, put it back in the case and it will be fixed.

See valvashon’s sticky post for all the details.

·
Registered
2006 MCS Manual 6 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope you still have your old case, if you replaced it.

Tucked away in the corner of the case is a tiny RFID chip. It looks like a bit of plastic debris, there’s no wires going to it or anything.

It either fell out when you opened your fob, or is still in the old case when you replaced the case.

The chip is roughly half the size of your fingernail, not quite rectangular, black, no external pins or leads.

If you find it, put it back in the case and it will be fixed.

See valvashon’s sticky post for all the details.
Thank you so much! I'm willing to bet that I lost the chip when I opened it but I'll take a look later today. Seriously thank you, I've been looking all over the web and keep coming up with no answers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts