MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I am new to this as owned my car for only just over a month. So gonna give it my best shot
I have a Second Generation (R56/57) 2007.

I noticed a slight oil leak, today and was wondering if anyone knew or had any Adivse? (See Video's/Sreenshot)
Video

This is Directly Under the middle of the bonnet. (Below Number plate)

Does anyone know which part is causing the problem?,
As well as rough esitmate for repair cost ect.

Just really worried?

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
vac pump, or oil filter housing, rocker cover gasket maybe might even be the oil cooler on oil filter housing,, looks from top to bottom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vac pump, or oil filter housing, rocker cover gasket maybe might even be the oil cooler on oil filter housing,, looks from top to bottom
Ok, Thanks

Hi, when i brought the car it had the , rocker cover gasket replaced. Maybe this is residue from the old leak?

I am going to clean and have a better look today

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
take it for a run after place some card under it leave it for a few hours see what oil is in card when come back,

Hi,
I have done this - please see attached photo. What do you think? Do you think it is worth a trip to the garage, or left over residue from the previous leak? The car has recently had an oil service in February 2020 after the rocker cover gasket was replaced.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
deffo leak needs looking at, when they replaced the rocker cover gasket did they add two blobs of sealant on the passengerside end in the corners of rocker cover, from factory they come with this done as leak if not been done ,, also the vac pump is above where that leaks also common to leak oil from where bolts to head the rubber o-ring goes hard and leaks blob of sealant will stop this,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
deffo leak needs looking at, when they replaced the rocker cover gasket did they add two blobs of sealant on the passengerside end in the corners of rocker cover, from factory they come with this done as leak if not been done ,, also the vac pump is above where that leaks also common to leak oil from where bolts to head the rubber o-ring goes hard and leaks blob of sealant will stop this,

Hi, thank you for this advice, I will try and speak with the company I brought the car from to see if they can help me get this resolved, as I am sure this should've been fixed before I purchased... If not it's off to the garage! Hopefully not a pricey repair... Thank you!

·
Registered
9,030 Posts

Hi, thank you for this advice, I will try and speak with the company I brought the car from to see if they can help me get this resolved, as I am sure this should've been fixed before I purchased... If not it's off to the garage! Hopefully not a pricey repair... Thank you!
i would go back to them and point out thats a mot failure for technically not legal to be on road under road worthy laws

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would go back to them and point out thats a mot failure for technically not legal to be on road under road worthy laws
Hi Mike,

The MOT Certificate was done at start of Feb,
We Purchased the car at end of February it had a months warrenty, and was sawn off the road untill 4 days ago

Do you still think we have a right to say that?

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
yes for sure consumer rights in the uk is must be fit for purpose, oil leak within that time span or within 6 months under consumer rights laws they can prove it was not there when bought the car but your also protected by the time span,, ie a while ago someone went to court and won a case like yours where car went faulty they gave a garage one chance to repair it, garage done the threat go take me to court they did cost garage thousands in court costs as car must by law be fit for purpose and road legal for at least 6 months after sale,,, what ever you do , do every thing by email record it all etc, point out you had legal advise worth contacting fair trading if needs be,, as they gave you a car with 12 months mot and it has leaked oil from when you bought the car thats your stance,, the underside of car will be lagged in oil if been leaking like that for a while as well,,
good read below

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes for sure consumer rights in the uk is must be fit for purpose, oil leak within that time span or within 6 months under consumer rights laws they can prove it was not there when bought the car but your also protected by the time span,, ie a while ago someone went to court and won a case like yours where car went faulty they gave a garage one chance to repair it, garage done the threat go take me to court they did cost garage thousands in court costs as car must by law be fit for purpose and road legal for at least 6 months after sale,,, what ever you do , do every thing by email record it all etc, point out you had legal advise worth contacting fair trading if needs be,, as they gave you a car with 12 months mot and it has leaked oil from when you bought the car thats your stance,, the underside of car will be lagged in oil if been leaking like that for a while as well,,
good read below
Okay Thank you So much for this!!, hopefully will be able to provide you with an outcome within the coming weeks/months.

·
Registered
9,030 Posts
would write to them asap start the process so they cant do the its been months etc,, alos check you have the mileage of when bought car and can prove it add the mileage now in letter to prove done next to no mileages under 2k would no brainer anything above that will get harder to get them to fit all the bill under wear and tear defense by the garage,

·
Registered
535 Posts
me, I would stop driving, as Mike says put everything in writing and return it. Under a month and they will have also had oil on the floor before sale I would strongly put that in the message. Not verbal all done in writing is very important. One month is well within your rights. If this is an S version you could expect over a thousand in repairs from an oil filter housing leak, turbo or worse... give them no leverage. You have been sold a duff motor and 'not fit for purpose' if you get in there quickly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone,

I have spoken with the forcourt I purchased the vehicle from, they have advised we bring back to them, and leave it with them. But be aware there garage has a big backlog.

Today I had a Moblie Machanic come and take a look.. he manged to remove/clean most the old oil resedue off the engine.

He then connected his OBD/Computer to the Mini and he found a code: 2845 DME VANOS, exhuast:Actuator Movement.
But couldnt see any oil leaks or visable oil anywhere

As of now the car is still driveable, no loss of power. and the leak has started to slow.

My plan now is to take the car for a good hour drive and some more cardboard under the vehicle overnight to see if the leak is there there.

Does anyone know anything about this fault code?
Do people reccomend I take back and return to them or i try let them repair and attempt them to fix the 'Actuator issue'?

Kind regards,
Kira

1 - 14 of 14 Posts