MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I really could do with some guidance following a heap of issues on my wife’s 2007 clubman Cooper S

so, the problem I currently have is Both headlights flicker, but only when the car is running and starts after start up 5 or 6 seconds after it starts. This to me says it has to be a voltage issue that the ballast resistors can’t overcome. So does anyone have any ideas of where to look next?

It is not bulbs, or ballast resistors. With the engine off, both headlights work as they should.

now, background is the cars sunroof leaked and killed the bcm - passenger footwell module. One of the problems was flickering headlights, but interior lights coming on when braking, indicators staying on, hazards etc which a replacement module was coded to the car by the guys at ecutesting, who programmed it using the caf module which I sent up to them.

Now, the guys at ecu testing have stated the bcm unit passed 2 rounds of testing and if the headlights flicker with the old unit fitted too, then the likelihood is the headlights are a separate problem. Which I tend to agree.

problem 3 is the car won’t let access to diagnose any of the systems. I have been advised that this could be an issue with the fuse box but I’ve had the whole unit out and it looks ok, but does smell of a cleaning oil so perhaps this has been an issue before I bought it . I just don’t want to spend out on a new fuse box if it wiring loom and visa versa, so I’m trying to get the headlights sorted just so we can use it again!

so, anyone any thoughts on what would make the bulbs flicker but only when it is running? What else could directly impact the voltage supply to the light circuit with the car running? Alternatoris pumping out 14.5 v. Recent battery, car had been fitted with an incorrect battery before we bought it, one for a mini without auto stop start. Don’t knowif this could have made any difference to anything?
Help appreciated, greatly! Has our last 03 mini for several years and it didn’t miss a beat. This clubman however ........

Thanks all!

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just for info, lights flickered on my 2009 N12 R57, ended up being the alternator/regulator required replacement. Turn your interior courtesy lights on when headlights flicker and you may find they also flicker as mine did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts