MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i have a DEC03 Built MCS and i have only done 600km on it.

last week when my brother was driving the car, he was going to change from 5th to 4th gear but he acidently shift from 5th to 2nd gear when he was traveling at around 70km/h. The engine rev to around 4000rpm, and he quickly change back to 3rd gear, after this incident, everytime i shift up a gear, the engine rev will not drop and stay aroud 2300rpm, instead of the rev come down abit and stay around the 2000rpm mark. Also when i shift up from 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gears, i need to hold down the clutch abit longer if not the shift is very rough, before i can just let go of the clutch straight after i am in gear and the car won't fell as rough.

Can somebody tell me what is wrong with my car? is the clutch or gearbox damaged? also do you think this problem can be fixed under warranty? because the car is still on the RUN-IN period and the engine should not go over 4000rpm and should not ride the clutch as often, i am worry that the dealer say i stuffed up the car, and its not their fault.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
I wouldn't post this kind of problem in a public forum, there might be Mini Aust employees scouting around forums such as this..afterall, if damage did occur from shifting into wrong gears it's potentially be considered as neglect on your end.

Looks like the clutch is somewhat stuffed..good luck :)

·
MINI2
49 Posts
asinn,

I disagree. Allowing your car to briefly see 4000rpm during the break-in period will not cause any harm what so ever. In fact, your car was most likely driven under those high rpm conditions if not more so when it was tested on the line in Oxford (let alone the ride to and from the cargo ship).

Keep driving your car and enjoy it. Since you have only 600km after 8 months, I think you need to try to drive it more if possible to help it break in. It should loosen up and sing within another 4000km or so.

But, if you are absolutely convinced you have a gear problem, then simply take it into your dealer and have them test it for you.

Good luck. :)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
I did that during break in... actually went up to 5K RPMs before I hit the clutch back in. Wont due any harm to the engine... and even during break in I went past 5K RPM in 5th just for fun. no problems... dont worry... as for the RPMs not dropping thats how the car is... they made it that way so that its better for the emissions... You said before the RPMs would drop quickly??? are u 100% sure? As far as i know the RPMs are known to be slow dropping (*if thats the right way to call it*) for the MINI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
EBMCS03
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing